Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Question Surround sound with satellite receiver

I'm looking for help in getting the ceiling speakers to work with our Hisense TV. Two of the speakers work with the DVD player, none work with the TV regardless of whether we're using the antenna or satellite receiver. I've read through the posts on the forum, and can't find anything about using a satellite box, which is what we watch. Any and all help is appreciated.

My current setup is:
2 coax cables from satellite dish into receiver DVR (directly, not through the wall connections)
HDMI cable from receiver HDMI port to TV HDMI 1
From TV to Samsung DVD:
Red/white from audio in on TV to Aux2 on Samsung DVD
HDMI cable from TV HDMI3/ARC to Samsung DVD HDMI out

It's probably pretty clear by now that I'm out of my element.
CdnRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
semi-senior member

A List of what I had to get to get my Hisense to work over ceiling speakers, look these up on Amazon.

1. C2G/Cables to go 6feet meters velocity S/PDIF Digital Audio

2.C2G 40018 Coaxial to Optical Digital Audio Converter
3. Amazon Basics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable 6Ft

This worked on my setup with the samsung receiver that came in my Columbus 320 The whole set is not very costly at all and sure makes a difference, You just have t0 change the receiver to D.IN to get audio out. Somewhere on this site someone explains how the TV and receiver do not have compatible outputs and inputs!
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

thanks Dennis & RuthAnn,

Can you help me further by telling me what I connect to which component and where? Thanks!

Now I also have to figure out why I can't get the bedroom TV working on the dish. I've got both cables for the livingroom TV running through the slide but I'm trying to connect the bedroom TV through the wall connectors and aren't getting a powerful enough signal from the dish. I am betting the connections within the RV are faulty. I guess we'll have to be happy with using the antenna in the bedroom. sigh.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
semi-senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnRVers View Post
thanks Dennis & RuthAnn,

Can you help me further by telling me what I connect to which component and where? Thanks!

Now I also have to figure out why I can't get the bedroom TV working on the dish. I've got both cables for the livingroom TV running through the slide but I'm trying to connect the bedroom TV through the wall connectors and aren't getting a powerful enough signal from the dish. I am betting the connections within the RV are faulty. I guess we'll have to be happy with using the antenna in the bedroom. sigh.
Ok see if i can help? U need the digital audio coax coming out of the Hisense to the powered optical converter & digital audio optical/toslink going into samsung receiver. There is a member on here JOELEK that i think explains it better than I have, search his posts or threads and see what he had to say.
About your sat dish for bedroom. I could not get it to transfer to the BR either. I ran a separate coax up through the access for outdoor control center over to the plumbing that comes up under the dresser in my BR and threaded it up under the drawers and then up to my receiver that I have in the BR.
Hope this helps as i am by no means much of an electronic guy, just went thru this just like u r doing
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Yours may not be wired correctly. Any thing I hook to the TV with HDMI goes through my surround. I have satellite as well and have no problem with surround sound.

I have a Columbus 320 RS
F-250, 6.0 PSD, 3:73 Rear End
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
safety guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #6

That's really interesting. Do you have your satellite going through the outside connections (i.e. the 'convenience center')? This is drivng me crazy-we tested it in LA where we bought the trailer and CC worked fine (setup the dish). Now in South TX I have the cables coming in around the slide and I can't get satellite in the bedroom to work at all. I've read here that there's a splitter somewhere and that causes problems.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnRVers View Post
That's really interesting. Do you have your satellite going through the outside connections (i.e. the 'convenience center')? This is drivng me crazy-we tested it in LA where we bought the trailer and CC worked fine (setup the dish). Now in South TX I have the cables coming in around the slide and I can't get satellite in the bedroom to work at all. I've read here that there's a splitter somewhere and that causes problems.
Hello, are you on Bell or Shawdirect? It could be possible you have strayed to far from the satellite footprint and the signal is just too low in level to work with loss in the cable/connectors to the bedroom TV. I know the one cable i use built in my Rockwood has 20 units loss in 30 ft, it works, just less signal.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

We're on Shaw and if I go directly (through the slide), I can get a 93 signal. I don't get anything at all when I go through the wall. I don't dare tweak it in case we lose it. Sometimes it does fluctuate down and we temporarily lose one of the signals (2 feeds for PVR). I think I'll wait until we're home and know we have a super strong signal to frig with it. I'm going to try to get a wiring diagram for the 320 so at least we know how it is 'supposed' to be done.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

Yes I hook the satellite at the convenience center.
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

Also, to get sound make sure you use HDMI cable from satellite receiver to the tv. Also make sure the sound settings on the receiver are set to surround.

You are getting picture correct?
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
RECAT

1st question: Does the Hisense TV have an optical output
The reason you are only getting sound from 2 speakers is that you are wired for stereo not surround. The left and right audio out will only give you stereo.
If your TV has an optical output run a optical cable from the TV to the Samsung reciever then select D.IN and on most TVs you will have to turn off the TVs speakers (TV dependent)
Many campers are set up to fake surround by using the headphone jack to the reciever - this will give you sound to all speakers but it is not surround - only stereo coming from all speakers.
The real problem is the samsung receiver. If it had an HDMI "in" all would be taken care of.
As far as your outside connections - mine were all wired wrong, It took 4 hours of chasing connections to get the correct ones lined up. As far as the bed room from satilite denandra2 had about the only answer. I custom ordered our 320 RS and had them run an extra line from the living room to the bed room other wise you will need 2 recievers. I hope this sheds some light on the problem.
2014 COLUMBUS 320RS
WAR EAGLE !!
REBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite