Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

A question to our fellow campers. We have the Columbus 5th wheel and have not had much success with the television reception. While camping with family, they were able to pick up over 30 channels with their antenna while we could only pick up 8. Even in our driveway, previously with our Flagstaff travel trailer we could pick up a number of channels and now with our new Columbus, absolutely none. Any ideas or suggestions out there as to why we are having trouble picking up channels.
The Rolling Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

make sure the power amp is and remove the wall plate make sure the connections are tight

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

Well, I can tell by the picture this isn't Mick, Keith, or Charlie!

Is the antenna booster turned on? Is the antenna stationary or can it turn? Are all the cables connected properly to the ant/tv? Is the tv new or can it receive digital signals?

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Search on "winegard wingman" and you will find several threads that explain the problem and the solution.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

Thanks all. The TV is new so it works with digital signals, the antenna booster light is on, the connections behind the wall plate and the TV are tight and the antenna can turn. We will check out other connections this weekend and probably look into the winegard wingman
The Rolling Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rolling Stones View Post
Thanks all. The TV is new so it works with digital signals, the antenna booster light is on, the connections behind the wall plate and the TV are tight and the antenna can turn. We will check out other connections this weekend and probably look into the winegard wingman
Depending on how new it is you may already have the newest Sensar.
Look for "leading elements" in front of the digital signal amp (the white box) on the roof antenna.

There is a TON of info on this site about this issue. Even a cursory search will provide all you need to be the "TV GURU" at your campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	18250   Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	18252  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #7

I had the same problem with my 320RS when I first picked it up. The dealer worked on it for 3 hours with no luck.
I ended up removing the antenna booster plate behind the TV and discovered the coax for the roof antenna wasn't even connected. I found it laying inside the wall(it's white). I had to replace the connector as the one on there from the factory was loose. Once I did that and connected it, everything worked fine.
Good luck.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rolling Stones
Everything was good inside our unit also. The t.v. worked in LR but it did not work right in bedroom. They found the antenna did not have bedroom cables connected at the antenna. Our basement radio all of a sudden the volume would not turn up...the face plate for the basement radio had gone bad so we had to get it replaced.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
phat phrog stunt crew

just returned from another weekend of camping. tv pic still freezes up during daylight hours but becomes clear at night. antenna rotated towards strongest signal, or at least in the general direction of known strong signals. if there is a power booster for the antenna, we have yet to find it. not by/in the a/v cabinet, not in the area of the tv, not by the antenna, not in the cabinet with all the other controls, not in the bedroom closet, not in the bathroom or any other crazy place.

we have a 2012 sabre 31 rets6. if anybody knows where else to look, i'm listening. how hard are they to install by myself? and finally, do those antenna add ons actually work. the ones that turn it from a flat bar to a flat 't' for lack of a better description.

thanks all in advance.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
just returned from another weekend of camping. tv pic still freezes up during daylight hours but becomes clear at night. antenna rotated towards strongest signal, or at least in the general direction of known strong signals. if there is a power booster for the antenna, we have yet to find it. not by/in the a/v cabinet, not in the area of the tv, not by the antenna, not in the cabinet with all the other controls, not in the bedroom closet, not in the bathroom or any other crazy place.

we have a 2012 sabre 31 rets6. if anybody knows where else to look, i'm listening. how hard are they to install by myself? and finally, do those antenna add ons actually work. the ones that turn it from a flat bar to a flat 't' for lack of a better description.

thanks all in advance.
Just wanted to verify that you have not come across anything that looks like the image in the picture.

Black arrow is the push button for the booster and the green arrow is where the green light is when the booster is turned on.

Name:	IMG01912-20120826-1731.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	18721

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
phat phrog stunt crew

nope. havent seen anything that looks like that.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Mine looks like this.

The same button works the same way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sandpiper Cable connections Bedroom.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	18722  
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

havent seen either one of those. is this a job i can do myself, or is it better to have the dealer do it.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
havent seen either one of those. is this a job i can do myself, or is it better to have the dealer do it.
Dwayne,

That amp needs to be there and it is located at one of your TV locations.

What are your TVs coax plugged into?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
phat phrog stunt crew

not sure herk. didnt pay any attention to that since i was looking for a plate with a switch. will look when out of storage in a week or so. not that big a deal really, but my wife has allergies and she has been having a tough couple of months. so, she stays indoors during the day while i go do what i do. spring and fall are usually worse for her, and with our dry year every farmer is trying to get in what corn they can. the dust has been driving her bonkers.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Now that you know to look for that little black "dot" I think you will find it.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Not such a Junior anymore

I had the opportunity to run a real world comparison with the Wingard with Sensar thingy, and a Jack brand antenna.

I was able to get only 1 digital channel set last year at a place called Bass lake, CA. This year, I have a new Lance trailer, that came equipped with a Jack antenna. Camped in the same same site.

The Wingard (last year) I had did not have a way to see where the strongest signal was, so after about 30 minutes of rotation and searches, I was able to locate 1 network with 3 channels.

This year was easy. The Jack antenna comes with this thing that shows signal strengh as you rotate it. Once I had the strongest reading, I ran the channel search and hit 5 network sets (about 17 channels).

There were only a few times of day when the weakest channel caused fragmented video, but it wasn't a great station anyway.

I had never seen this Jack thing until we got our new trailer, but I'm sold.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #18

Quote:

thanks all in advance.
I have a 2012 31RETS-6 and the power booster is to the right under the living room television. Raise the television, look under the cabinet to the right where the cable (should be plugged in). Should look just like the picture Herk7769 posted. If it is not there, the Sabre factory messed up. It's got to be there, easy to get to because I am always switching mine from cable/antenna to Sat.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borwick View Post
The Wingard (last year) I had did not have a way to see where the strongest signal was, so after about 30 minutes of rotation and searches, I was able to locate 1 network with 3 channels.
To be fair I have posted many ways of finding the antenna farm direction without the fancy signal strength meter. Portable smart phone apps that do this abound (Towers for example). The internet has half a dozen sites as well (www.antennaweb.org for example).

Winegard sells an upgraded wall amp/switch that displays signal strength as well. SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter
Old 08-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

thanks ret. i did see the outlet where you described, but i dont recall seeing a button on it. seems to me it was just labeled sat/cable. will look much more closely next time out.

Tags
antenna