Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Thinking of purchasing a Sabre Silloette fifth wheel

Hello all... New to this forum as of today. I was a member of the Wildcat Camper Forum and was re-directed here when I asked advice on the Sabre line of trailers by Forest River.

My 2004 Wildcat 29BHBP suffered some damage by a falling tree and has been totaled by my insurance company. So, my wife and I are on the market for a new trailer. We saw a Sabre Silloette on line and we really liked it. Forgive me, but I forget the exact model, but it had a front quad bunkhouse and a rear master, 3 slides. A very nice floor plan that included a large "U" shaped dinette/sofa combo. We really liked that feature as it seems to be more practical for us as most of our dining is outdoors anyway.

My question is this... The price seems awful low for the Sabre considering all it comes with i.e. power awning, 3 slides, LCD t.v., etc.

We paid around $34,000.00 for our Wildcat new in 2004. This Sabre is selling for around $26,000.00 with more features than our Wildcat had.

How is the quality of these trailers? Does anyone have any good or bad experiences they'd like to share? Or any info that might sway our decision either way?

I had a great experience on the Wildcat forum and learned alot from the other members. Many mods and ideas on our Wildcat came directly from other members ideas and suggestions. I'm hoping we can find out some useful information about the Sabre's on this forum as well.

Thanks for any info you can share!
More Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

We've had our Sabre 31RKTS-6 5th wheel since 2007. We still love it. They are a great value, well built and very well equipped. They have a positive following of owners, for the most part.
I toured the Sabre factory and was impressed with the workers and the way the trailers are assembled.
From where are you thinking about purchasing the Sabre?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

The one we first saw was on E-Bay. From a dealer in Indiana I beleive. That was the one that had the front bunkhouse. I think it was a 320FQDS? Not positive though. Then we found a few more on line at other dealers. None that I can specifically remember.

We are in Boston, Mass. and the RV show is coming up in February. We're hoping to find some there so we can actually see and feel them.

We're very impressed with the features and seem like alot of bang for the buck. Just a little concerned that it is too good to be true... Maybe poor quality.

Have you had any issues with your trailer? How is the fit and finish? Anything you don't like? We did have some major issues with our Wildcat, most of which happened after the warranty period. We ended up putting so much money into repairs on that trailer due to what I feel are quality control issues at Forest River. That being said, buying another Forest River product is going to be a hard decision. But, from what we've seen on these Sabre's, we just might give them another try.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
H2oski

We bought ours in Aug last year. over 2100 miles and anout 20 nights of camping and have only had a couple of loose screw. DW didn't like the shower head so that was replace and I've added a battery disconnect. We were out this weekend and absolutly love our Sabre.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

We saw our first Sabre 250RLUD at the fall Dallas RV show in 2011. We didn't give it much thought because we had been thinking about one of the trailers from Keystone since the 2010 show. I previously had a Keystone Outback and was really pleased. But when we really started to get serious about a new 5th wheel I narowed it down to about 4 trailers, including two FR prducts. We came to the conclusion that for the value received overall, the Sabre was it for us. We've only had it about 3 months and been out in it for 10 days. Haven't found any problems other than a loose screw. I think we made the right choice. BTW, I also checked on one of the wholesalers 1500 miles from my house for price comparisons. Then went to the dealer to see what they could do. Dealer delivered it to my door and was within $750 of the wholesaler.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

So far I haven't heard anything that would make me not want to make a Sabre our next trailer. I am really impressed with the pictures and the features.

I actually spoke with a dealer today in Wallcott, Iowa (1100 miles from me), and we are thinking of driving out to pick one up.

Forgive me, but knowing what we paid for our Wildcat 29BHBP new in 2004, almost $35,000.00, and seeing what these Sabres are selling for new and with many more features, I couldn't help but think it is too good to be true. But, after talking with the dealer directly he shed some light on the reason. It is an agreement they have with the manufacturer and the actual MSRP is almost $36,000.00.

I appreciate the input here and hope to be a new Sabre owner very soon.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
So far I haven't heard anything that would make me not want to make a Sabre our next trailer. I am really impressed with the pictures and the features.

I actually spoke with a dealer today in Wallcott, Iowa (1100 miles from me), and we are thinking of driving out to pick one up.

Forgive me, but knowing what we paid for our Wildcat 29BHBP new in 2004, almost $35,000.00, and seeing what these Sabres are selling for new and with many more features, I couldn't help but think it is too good to be true. But, after talking with the dealer directly he shed some light on the reason. It is an agreement they have with the manufacturer and the actual MSRP is almost $36,000.00.

I appreciate the input here and hope to be a new Sabre owner very soon.
Cheyenne is a great place to buy a camper!
we have purchased our last two new campers from them!
Our last being a 32 bhok sabre and we love it!
they are very nice people and go the extra mile . I broke an awning arm on my previous model MY FAULT
and they shipped me a brand new one at no cost.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #8

We really like ours. Well made , tows great , very few problems so far
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4 SXT 6.4l Hemi 3:73's
Former Michelin Tire Guy
kevnval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

believe it or not its 13 degrees this am here in Iowa and last night dipped into the single digits . I fired up the heater last night in the 5er about 8 pm and was sound asleep in it by 1030 !

I guess I am getting the fever!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #10

The Sabre Silhouette is the light weight version of the Sabre line. It is built more like the eXtraLite Wildcats, not your 2004 bunkhouse model. Hence the lower price.

Regardless, from what I have seen of the Sabre line they look like they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman View Post
the sabre silhouette is the light weight version of the sabre line. It is built more like the extralite wildcats, not your 2004 bunkhouse model. Hence the lower price.

Regardless, from what i have seen of the sabre line they look like they offer a lot of bang for the buck.
true that ! Imo
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

Have you looked at the V-Cross's? After looking for almost 2 years for 5th wheels that is what I ended up with. Can't say much about it yet as I just picked it up on February 17th.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

more cowbell did you ever decide on a unit ?

Tags
fifth wheel, sabre, wildcat