Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Thoughts?

Looking at 2 trailers...

#1 is a Solaire 317BHSK
  • Hitch Weight 625
  • Dry Weight 6726

#2 Solaire 267BHSK
  • Hitch Weight 885
  • Dry Weight 5360

I am not concerned with GVWR of the trailers as they will never be pulled with the tanks full. And in 3 years with our current Surveyor, we've never had more than 10 gallons in the potable tank.

TV is a 2006 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4x2 5.3L 4L65E (w/Stage 2 upgrade), GT4 G80 JF3 , Equal-i-zer 10K, Brake Controller

The 317 is at the top of MY preferred tow weight (Thinking 7400lbs ready to camp). The 267 is at the top of the sticker payload.

Leaving out the legal stuff and truck upgrade ideas (we'll discuss that later), would you prefer to pull more weight or carry more weight?
TaWiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What gear ratio?
3.23 6900#
3.73 7900#
Assuming swb

You need to look at your ccc for your truck as you'll run out of that way before anything else.

Normal user added items PLUS dealer installed items will find you north of 1000#

dry weight and tongue weight are FICTIONAL numbers and you should not use them in determining if you can pull it or not.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

As Turbs said, payload of the TV is what gets used up long before anything else (usually), look at the payload sticker for the truck and that will tell you if you need to pull more weight or if you can carry more weight (depending on loading configuration - truck or trailer).

My opinion to the base question of do I pull or load more? I bought a truck that could and would do whichever one I wanted. I went with a 2500 diesel right off the bat so I could do both. If I would have gotten a 1500 I would be limited to one of the other and then I would be forced to make that decision. I got the 2500 so I could pull the loaded trailer and then still load the bed of my truck with gear or I could load the cab full of 6 passengers. If I would have gotten a 1500 and forced to choose between the two I would choose to load the trailer up.

Maybe I am thinking about this wrong because I am quoting TV capability rather than TT capability. But to me either TT is going to eat into the number of the payload on TV, so whether it is carried in the TT or on the TV it has to be accounted for. Items put in the TT will be pulled (if loaded correctly to keep excess weight off the tongue) but items put in the truck will be carried and directly subtracted from the payload number. After contemplating this I would rather "pull" more weight to maximize items I could take. This is the exact reason I went with a 2500 from the start so I wouldnt have to choose between the two

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
What gear ratio?
3.23 6900#
3.73 7900#
Assuming swb

You need to look at your ccc for your truck as you'll run out of that way before anything else.

Normal user added items PLUS dealer installed items will find you north of 1000#

dry weight and tongue weight are FICTIONAL numbers and you should not use them in determining if you can pull it or not.
+1

And you're gonna have to place a lot of your gear in the nose of that 317 and get that TW up for it to tow well anyway. The 267 will actually need to be loaded with more weight in the rear. Ready to camp, that 317 will probably be close to 8000 pounds. That brochure weight likely will include no options- which you will probably have some of- and you will probably carry more weight than you anticipate- it adds up fast. I would expect the 267 to come in around 7500 loaded and ready to camp.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

There are folks out there that are towing more than a 317 with their 1500...Its good to get peoples opinions..but its your decision on what your comfortable with...

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #6

My family just bought, two trips in it, a 2014 solaire 317bhks. It is great. We tow it with 2008 Nissan Titan pro 4x crew cab. We tow it just fine. We try to put a little more weight in the front storage area to get more tongue weight. Our dealer sold us a husky friction bar setup and it works okay. The thing still sways, even though I added another friction bar, but isn't terrible by any means. However, I wanted to get a better hitch so we just bought a propride p3. Can't wait to put it on. I'll post after we put it in and take a trip with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427552877.956794.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	72346
allisonanddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

Pull more weight.

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies everybody.

We are still back and forth on what to get next. I like the new colors we've seen in the 267. But I can still send the kids to their room in the 317. ...and the outdoor kitchen

We have 2 couples looking at our Surveyor, so, if it sells, we'll have to decide quickly.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonanddave View Post
My family just bought, two trips in it, a 2014 solaire 317bhks. It is great. We tow it with 2008 Nissan Titan pro 4x crew cab. We tow it just fine. We try to put a little more weight in the front storage area to get more tongue weight. Our dealer sold us a husky friction bar setup and it works okay. The thing still sways, even though I added another friction bar, but isn't terrible by any means. However, I wanted to get a better hitch so we just bought a propride p3. Can't wait to put it on. I'll post after we put it in and take a trip with it. Attachment 72346
Beautiful! Thanks for the pic.

We use a Equal-i-zer 4-way on our Surveyor. The plan is to move it to the next unit.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonanddave View Post
My family just bought, two trips in it, a 2014 solaire 317bhks. It is great. We tow it with 2008 Nissan Titan pro 4x crew cab. We tow it just fine. We try to put a little more weight in the front storage area to get more tongue weight. Our dealer sold us a husky friction bar setup and it works okay. The thing still sways, even though I added another friction bar, but isn't terrible by any means. However, I wanted to get a better hitch so we just bought a propride p3. Can't wait to put it on. I'll post after we put it in and take a trip with it. Attachment 72346
You are gonna LOVE pulling with that ProPride. I've pulled 12+ hours in a day with mine with no more fatigue than driving empty whereas with friction based systems 4 hours had me worn out and feeling beat up.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #11

That's very interesting. You do get tired driving with the friction bar setup don't you. I just had to order the extension kit for the propride so I still haven't gotten it out. I can't wait. It does seem pretty low to the ground however on the trailer. We followed directions and I'm good with truck hooked up, but seems fairly low. I guess this is the way it is. Also I am probably going to be about 7-8 inches up on the jacks for weight distribution. I think we are using the third hole from the top on the bars. Does that seem good. Do you have pics of yours. I would love to see them.
allisonanddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #12

Hitch does look low, but I never drag. I think I'm in the 3rd hole at 7" for WD. I'll try to see if I have any close pics of the hitch when hooked up.