Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Thoughts on Palomini?

We are looking at becoming first time TT owners and really like the layout of the Palomini 179BHS. We looked at one last year, but that was before we really got serious about buying a camper. It's exactly what we want, though - no frills, perfect bedding for our situation, great space with the slide-out couch, not too big. Our only real wish is that it had a double axle, but none of the small double axle TTs we've looked at (outside of the expensive Camp-Lite) have layouts that work as well for us as the Palomini.

I would love to hear thoughts about this TT. Is the single axle a big concern? Can you tell me about the quality of this TT? What kind of issues does the slide have? (I've heard rumblings about many campers not liking slides.) What do you like or dislike about the Palomini in general?

Thanks for any advice or thoughts you can throw to us first time buyers!
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #2

Hi, I have 3 travel trailer's all single axle and never had a problem. We just purchased a Palomini 180FB and pick it up tomorrow. The Palomini from just looking seems to be as good of quality as any other TT in it's price range. That's just my opinion others may think different. What ever you buy I hope you have a great time camping.
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

We bought a Palomini yesterday! We decided that for the price and size range we're looking at, the 179BHS was the best TT for us. We pick it up next week. Thanks for your input, Phil1!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

Your welcome. Enjoying your new camper.
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

Where do I start? To much wrong with Palomino 365RL. Every time I go camping something else wrong.
365RLChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365RLChris View Post
Where do I start? To much wrong with Palomino 365RL. Every time I go camping something else wrong.
The OP asked about the PaloMINI line, not Palomino 5th wheels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #7

Sorry.
365RLChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

Titania, How do you like your Palomini 179BHS? My wife and I really think this is also the best floor plan for our family and we are seriously considering buying one of these. We are going to a local dealer to look at one some time this week. Any info/thoughts would be appreciated.
Aldothegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #9

We love it so far. The layout is absolutely perfect for us, and we've found it to be extremely comfortable. The space is great, even without the slide pushed out. The length of the beds is fantastic for our long limbs.

A few (minor) things we don't like -
- the fit and finish is chintzy. We had pieces of trim fall off the first day (though we didn't mind because it looks better without it). Still, the interior is simple, and there's not much need for fancy, so it's not a big deal that the fit and finish isn't fantastic.

- We don't like that there is no manual override of the slide. Hopefully that will never be an issue, but it will be a huge pain if we ever have to manually slide it in. Palomino did send us a manual that shows what to do in that instance at our request. I've had a couple of questions for them, and they've answered them within 12 hrs of posting to customer service online each time.

- the bathroom is super small...like choose which direction you want to face before you enter small. :-) But, we knew that when we got it. It fulfills the purpose we need it for. I can't imagine taking a shower in that little stall, though. The outdoor shower head, on the other hand, is getting way more use that I would have imagined.

- the weight limit of the top bunk is only 150 lbs. We knew that when buying, of course, but I really wish it had a higher weight limit. The bunk is a great size for an adult or a growing boy, but the weight limit is...limiting. We're already thinking of ways to support it for a higher weight limit should we need to eventually.

- the standard AC is really useless. It's too small to cool the space if it's actually needed. And the overhead fan is really small. Both of those can be upgraded, I believe, and it might be worth it if you live in a hot area and think you might need the AC. We use our camper almost exclusively in non-powered campgrounds and don't have a generator, so it's not much of an issue for us.

- OH! And the biggest one of all. We found out the second time we took it out that the emergency brake cable (it activates the brakes in case the trailer disconnects from the tow vehicle) is too short! Luckily we found out in our driveway, and hopefully this is a flaw limited to our Palomini, but definitely one to look for. We came up with a workaround. Definitely check to be sure that the cable is long enough that it won't be pulled free during a sharp turn!

Despite those small complaints, we are really happy with our purchase. We've had a few live and learn moments (like with the emergency brake cable and undersized AC), but we would buy the same again in a heartbeat. I see many, many years of enjoyment of this camper in our future!

Hope this helps!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #10

Titania, Thanks for the info. This will be our first TT and we've been tent campers for many years. We're not wanting or expecting anything too glamorous. I think this floor plan is the by far best one we've found in a TT that will fit my family of 5 and has a UVW of less than 3000lbs.

I am really surprised that you can't close the slide manually. I guess we will have to get the instructions to do this if we buy a 179BHS. Sooner or later we will be somewhere with no electricity and a dead battery.

I've read somewhere that the standard 5000 BTU A/C isn't big enough to keep it cool. This probably isn't too big of an issue for us since it has to be better than nothing, which is what we are used to. The 179BHS we are going to look at locally is the only one I've found within 400 miles, so if we like it we'll probably take it as it is. If we decide to custom order one then we may opt to get the larger A/C unit.

I'm astonished the most that the top bunk will only support 150lbs. I've been researching TTs for a while and this is the first one I've come across with a bunk that has such a low weight limit. That's almost a deal breaker for us. There are 5 in our family and only one of us is less than 150lbs.

I'm not too worried about the size of the bathroom as long as I can fit in. I'd rather have that space to use for living or bunk space. I'll have to remember to check the safety cable. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Anyway, I really appreciate your info and am glad you like your new Palomini. Happy camping!
Aldothegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #11

Do you now which manufacturer of slide mechanism is utilized in the Palomini (2015 or 2016)?

Thanks.