Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #1

tire pressure

320rs and have a 2010 F-250 King Ranch Diesel with the Goodyear ATS tires. What pressure is recommended for rear tires?
dkwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The pressure recommendation on the door of the vehicle.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

IMO, weigh the truck when connected to the camper and use the pressure recommended for that axle weight (divided by 2).

For example:

With the camper connected your rear axle weighs 5000 pounds.
Each tire is supporting 2500 pounds.
You have LT225/75/16 E rated tires
The pressure for 2500 pound load is 75 PSI (2560 actual) or the max rated for the tire of 80 PSI (2680 pound load).

Find the manufacturer's pressure chart for your tires and use that one.
The one I linked is just a guide.

As to Turbo's post, the door post pressure is for an "average load" and "optimum handling". Never have LESS than the post pressure in the tires. Using the charts will make sure you have the appropriate tire pressure for YOUR load.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rv_inflation[1].pdf (86.7 KB, 35 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #4

I know that my weights are different but for me as rule of thumb, when I'm towing the TT I set tire press at max on side wall of tire knowing that I've got tires at almost max load. Then when not towing I set press at mfg recommended press as on door sticker.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

My F250 with a 9600lb gvwr says 65psi all around. As Ron said though, the tire pressure plackard is in the drivers door jam. Always go by the factory recommended tp.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I know that my weights are different but for me as rule of thumb, when I'm towing the TT I set tire press at max on sidewall of tire knowing that I've got tires at almost max load. Then when not towing I set press at mfg recommended press as on door sticker.
This is the safest (load wise) if you actually know that you are not over the max load for the tires. However when towing with the pressure inappropriately set at MAX, (In My Opinion):

1) It will also make for a harder ride than necessary

2) Tire contact with the road will slightly be compromised as there will be a higher load across the tread on the center ribs. Over pressurization will cause center rib wear and an early tire change due to wear bars appearing in the center of the tire before the sides.

3) The tire will partial hydroplane earlier due to less tread in contact with the ground. Total hydroplane speed is 9 times the square root of the tire pressure (a formula used by accident investigators in the transportation and aviation safety agencies for years). So say the correct tire pressure was 60 PSI and you put in 80, you would have the entire tread lifted from the road at (60 PSI) when your speed hits 69 MPH. At 80 PSI that speed would be 80.5 MPH. This might seem to be an argument for the higher pressure, but since we are normally concerned about partial hydroplaning the smaller tire footprint in contact with the road becomes a factor due to less water channels available.

FYI - Car total hydroplane speed at 32 PSI is 51 MPH. Hitting a standing puddle above that speed will lift ANY tread design tire completely off the road. Tread design (like "AquaTreads") only help with partial hydroplaning by channeling water out from under the treads.
SLOW down when it is raining!

4) Stability could be affected due to skipping (hopping) on uneven roads (washboarding)

5) Less traction on drive wheels due to a less efficient transfer of torque from the drive axles to the ground.

Herk
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_yo...ill_hydroplane
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #7

He.rk: yes I know the weights, and I'm right at max with everything when towing, in fact if the trk tires are at say 40 I can feel it wiggle due to press being less then 44 which is max. Also trl axle weight are right up there due to trl having only 740 lb carrying cap. You know how fast 700 lbs can be added to a trl

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Herk: yes I know the weights, and I'm right at max with everything when towing, in fact if the trk tires are at say 40 I can feel it wiggle due to press being less then 44 which is max. Also trl axle weight are right up there due to trl having only 740 lb carrying cap. You know how fast 700 lbs can be added to a trl
Ah, the 44 PSI is a "give away." It is the kilopascal pressure converted to PSI for us Americans (300KPA). They are metric tires and have different rules.
You need to do some research on the limitations of metric "SUV" tires.

There is plenty of good info here and elsewhere on the internet.
Most folks who tow, replace these with true truck tires eventually; some immediately.

KPA to PSI Pressure Converter