Old 09-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #31

I know this is an old thread but just happened to see this tire (goodyear Marathon) on my last trip. Inside is worn down to belt. All other tires are still good at 10,000 miles

onetexasoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #32
Herschel

Quote:
just happened to see this tire (goodyear Marathon) on my last trip. Inside is worn down to belt. All other tires are still good at 10,000 miles
I had a similar development on one of my four tires a while back. I think the technician that installed it failed to put the correct pressure in it, and I (over confidently) thought that since it came from the shop, I did not need to check the pressure. I set out on long trip from Florida to Michigan. When I checked the pressure a couple of days later into the trip, it was half what it should have been, and I was flabbergasted . I used the tire the rest of the way on the trip, but watched it carefully. finally, when its "partner" on the other side became problematic, I changed them both out. But, I am curious what your theory or explanation is for the uneven wear. I chalked it up to "once it starts wearing unevenly, it doesn't correct itself".

Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #33

I always check my tires and keep the same pressure 70 pounds in them, using the same gauge I always use. I also have the tire monitor, which seems to read close enough while driving. I have never seen this on all the trailers I have owned, only on a car that is not aligned but then both front tires would have the wear.
At first I thought it was turning too tight but the other tires are ok
Old 09-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #34

onetexasoldman, I have a similar wear as you show but on the outside. All 4 Westlake tires are wearing on the outside at 11k miles & the left rear shows a little more wear. They are not nearly down to the belt. We put 9400 miles on 1 trip shortly after purchase. Columbus installs 6k axles standard on my 5er, & I ordered 7k axles as an option. I have an TST system, balanced all 4 tires immediately after purchase; & always maintain 80 psi cold pressure. I am waiting on a response from Lippert. I would gladly replace the tires with Maxxis if I could be comfortable it was just a tire issue.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #35
Herschel

I have two questions I would like to toss out there. First, shouldn't the routine axle alignment that RV service facilities do prevent the large percentage of uneven tire wear given accurate pressure monitoring? Or stated another way, is that service unreliable as an "uneven tire wear" preventer? And secondly, does the "dragging" that seems to go on when the tires "scrape" across the pavement when you try to turn dual axle trailers and 5th Wheels fairly sharply, while parking and going slow speeds in towns, a contributor to tire wear? And an associated question, do the 5th wheels with three axles have more of the "dragging" effect on the front and rear tires?
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #36
Swift2

After going to CW then to lipper for wheel alignment I was told by lipper to go to an approved alignment shop to get the axels checked. 3 of the first 4 shops said they had dealt with lipper and wouldn't deal with them again. The fourth shop wouldn't be able to get to it for a couple months. A spindle was Welded on crooked and I gave up and changed the axel myself.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #37

Well after a couple shops telling me the hangers where bent and everything would have to be rewelded and new axles and about $5k we went to CW and got a NEW Bighorn. Took care of my problem. They gave me almost what I paid for the Brookstone a year ago.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #38

Original Poster

I am the original poster. About three months ago I decided to have my axles aligned. Finally decided a ounce of prevention was better than a tire blowing and taking out a fender and a slide bottom. I put on 4 new Maxxis tires and have about 2000 miles on them so far. Checked the tread for wear for the first time this week and I still have the original 9/32 on each tire measured in three places on each tire. So far so good. Total cost about $1500.00.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, tire, alignment