Old 12-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

To Cover or Not to Cover?

Okay, took delivery of our 2017 Puma 27RLSS TT late fall and were able to get it out twice before the weather broke. Love it so far and only minor issues to date. Just dropped it off for the 90 day check up and having them fix the couple of issues we encountered.

I have had conflicting recommendations from various people on this question, both current TT owners, past owners, etc. Everyone agrees we need to cover the tires (which we will definitely do) but they conflict on whether we need to cover it or not. The 2-3 techs I've asked at the dealer say they would for sure, but I see A LOT of TT and 5W around here that are not covered. So, I thought I'd come to the professionals for an opinion.

BTW - I live in East Central Indiana and get a fair share of rain, sleet, snow, ice - the usual Midwest stuff.

This is one of the covers I have looked into getting - again, recommendations, suggestions, opinions, all welcome and thank you in advance!

ADCO 34845 Designer Series Gray/White 28' 7" - 31' 6" DuPont Tyvek Travel Trailer Cover

Old 12-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

We covered ours when we lived in Indiana with an ADCO. The freezing/thawing cycles is what worried me. Most people don't cover but I don't usually do what most people do anyway. Not the easiest thing to get up to the roof, but my wife and I handled it OK for the three winters we lived there.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #3

We just bought a new RV and I'm contemplating the same thing for New England winters. I can say from experience with our previous camper that they are probably worth while. Our 2000 Aerolite Cub hybrid was notorious for water damage. We kept ours alive for a decade and I believe an Adco cover that protected against the long winters of freeze/thaw snow/rain was probably the reason. I'm shopping now, but wondered how people deal with these new corner gutter protusions.
sfd0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd0124 View Post
We just bought a new RV and I'm contemplating the same thing for New England winters. I can say from experience with our previous camper that they are probably worth while. Our 2000 Aerolite Cub hybrid was notorious for water damage. We kept ours alive for a decade and I believe an Adco cover that protected against the long winters of freeze/thaw snow/rain was probably the reason. I'm shopping now, but wondered how people deal with these new corner gutter protusions.
I've done some research on that too and I am going to either try tennis balls or swim noodles to cover any protruding edges.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

I don't have a choice, I have to cover my TT or the sun would destroy it. IMO a cover makes sense no matter where you live. Covers fall into two different categories as far as material. The $500 covers last about 1 1/2 years for me in the brutal Florida sun. Those type of covers may last longer where you live. The second material is Sunbrella and those covers cost about double. I had a cover for my boat made out of Sunbrella and it looked new after 2 years, hands down the best material. I am purchasing another cover for my TT shortly and I am definitely going with Sunbrella material, probably from Calmark.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

The sun does the majority of the damage to any exposed surface of anything left outside.
Since our trailer sits unused during the late fall, winter, and early spring, it just makes sense to limit the exposure to sun damage. You want to protect your rubber tires with covers.... Doesn't it make even more sense to cover your rubber roof ? After all, that roof will be a lot more expensive to repair or replace than the tires. Then there are the plastic components, vent and a c covers and sky lights, that will, over time, degrade from uv light exposure. In my humble opinion, The cover, and your labor putting it on and taking it off, are a small price to pay for extending the life, and resale value, of your tt.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

We cover ours each year and it looks great every spring. Live in Washington state. Our daughter didn't cover hers last year despite my advice otherwise. No surprise there. Her TT did not look so good and required a lot of clean up work that can never fix the deterioration to the seals and Roof.
duckfantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

If you live where you get strong winds, I probably would recommend not covering. Just an Adco windshield cover ruined the paint job on the doors of my Solera. It is currently in the body shop being repainted. The owner stated to me that people covering their RV's gives him alot of busines and that he does not recommend using them." If you have a full body paint job on your trailer, the damage can get very expensive.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

Good question. I think it can best be answered by the part of the country you live in. The Midwest where you are i would cover it with all of the moisture and such you get. I live in New Mexico and will not cover mine simply because of the ridiculous sand storms we get here occasionally. No matter how well your cover fits your trailer, it's never 100% sealed. Here sand will get under the cover and basically will act like sandpaper against the body of the trailer. Ruining your paint or decals. My opinion anyway. Good luck and congrats on the new rig.
scbrown063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

We have an elements cover which has the tyvec roof material on the top. Water resistant and this keeps the roof dry and the sides are made out of the usual water shedding material with breathing holes under flaps near the top. Take those anti bellowing parts off of the slides. even if you use the little socks that come with the cover they will wear a hole thru the cover over the winter.
Do not walk on the roof, crawl around , I accidentally put my foot thru my bath sky light.( live and learn.) We have add on rain extensions from Wall Mart and we took them off for the winter so no issues with wearing holes in the corners. They will just snap back on in the spring. Cover sharp corners like the solar panel corners with duct tape and some foam or cloth to take care of those sharp corners on the roof.
Anything out of the elements is good for the preservation of your investment.

Brandon2
2500TS
Sun Seeker

brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover