Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnRVers View Post

We don't have awnings on the slides and are wondering whether that would help at all. Tonight we will close the bedroom slide as it's significantly quieter that way. This isn't our first RV, but certainly the noisiest.
The way my travel trailer is designed with the bedroom slide, is your head is directly underneath the slide-out roof (as you can see in my sig line). It is definitely too noisy in the rain. I installed slide toppers which did help somewhat with the rain noise hitting the slide roof above your head.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #22

Trains too noisey?.....Well we know you will want to make a F.R.O.G Rally in Goshen for sure.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Trains too noisey?.....Well we know you will want to make a F.R.O.G Rally in Goshen for sure.
That's funny. But seriously, at Goshen we were parked in the track area and the train noise was barely noticeable.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
That's funny. But seriously, at Goshen we were parked in the track area and the train noise was barely noticeable.

I was trying to start the year being sarcastic. There is nowhere on the fairgrounds that you will not hear the trains.....but the fun that we have there trumps what train noise there is.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
I was trying to start the year being sarcastic. There is nowhere on the fairgrounds that you will not hear the trains.....but the fun that we have there trumps what train noise there is.
Can't wait until next August. We had a blast!!!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #26

We were parked as close as you can be to the tracks in Goshen. The trains were unbelievably loud. After the third night my wife stopped peeing the bed when one roared by. So you get used to it.....sort of.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #27

Talking

Ear plugs are the answer. My wife says I never listen to her, I think that is what she said........

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
We were parked as close as you can be to the tracks in Goshen. The trains were unbelievably loud. After the third night my wife stopped peeing the bed when one roared by. So you get used to it.....sort of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Ear plugs are the answer. My wife says I never listen to her, I think that is what she said........

Bob
Ya are some funny people. Thanks for the laughs this morning as I needed them.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The way my travel trailer is designed with the bedroom slide, is your head is directly underneath the slide-out roof (as you can see in my sig line). It is definitely too noisy in the rain. I installed slide toppers which did help somewhat with the rain noise hitting the slide roof above your head.
Looks like the OP's layout is the same:

To be honest, ours is the same way. I ordered slide toppers from the factory and never thought about the difference in noise that it would make.

Makes sense. The rain is hitting a few inches up from the top of the slide vs. the slide itself.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
NELA

I absolutely LOVE the sound of rain on the roof of our RV, but then again I spent a lot of summers at my grandmother's house which had a tin roof.

While in TN we were parked halfway under a hickory tree. HOLY beejeepers! The first couple of nuts that landed on the roof sent Freddie the camping dog in to a barking frenzy, and I can count on both hands the times he's even barked in the 7 years we've had him.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #31
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I absolutely LOVE the sound of rain on the roof of our RV, but then again I spent a lot of summers at my grandmother's house which had a tin roof.

While in TN we were parked halfway under a hickory tree. HOLY beejeepers! The first couple of nuts that landed on the roof sent Freddie the camping dog in to a barking frenzy, and I can count on both hands the times he's even barked in the 7 years we've had him.
Oh Weezer I know just what your poor Freddie went through! We parked near a tree that has those Kentucky Coffee Beans, and one windy day it sounded like they were denting the rig as they hit. And as they slid across the roof, it sounded like a troll trying to hang on with its claws! My dogs would just shiver!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Your lucky,I had to wear diapers,the Trains scarred the S--- out of Me! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #33

Exclamation How many of you have slide awnings?

I'm curious how many of the responders have awnings on their slides. Because this isn't the soothing pitter-patter of rain on the roof - this is 'drop a golf ball from 10' and bounce it across the slide' rain. I do wear earplugs, and my husband was kept awake -- with his hearing aids out! We've had two other RVs (neither with a bedroom slide) and the sound of rain has never kept me awake. And mind you, we did get over 3" in 48 hours.
CdnRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Your lucky,I had to wear diapers,the Trains scarred the S--- out of Me! Youroo!!
Wasn't trains you heard............

TURBS

GOLF CART SAFETY INSTRUCTOR.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Wasn't trains you heard............

TURBS

That's right,it was (Golfcarts)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
That's right,it was (Golfcarts)! Youroo!!
And I'll make sure I'll find the hooligans whom was doing it this year.

TURBS

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #37
Wanna Be Camper

we don't have slide toppers and while louder than in the main trailer, we don't lose any sleep.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #38

Quote:
I'm curious how many of the responders have awnings on their slides. Because this isn't the soothing pitter-patter of rain on the roof - this is 'drop a golf ball from 10' and bounce it across the slide' rain. I do wear earplugs, and my husband was kept awake -- with his hearing aids out! We've had two other RVs (neither with a bedroom slide) and the sound of rain has never kept me awake. And mind you, we did get over 3" in 48 hours.
We've had slide toppers on several RVs and have never really thought about it. But, common sense tells me that if the rain (acorns, pine cones, etc) are landing on the fabric of the topper rather than on the top of the slide, it has to make less noise inside the RV. However, if you are in the midst of a monsoon downpour, nothing is gonna make it quieter because of all the noise from the rain hitting the rest of the RV roof.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Ooops. I guess you heard everything Ron and I were saying about you and Kenny then in Goshen.
And what I heard was not very nice either.

But my lips are sealed. eh, eh, eh.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #40
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
No awning on my slide, but then, it's a sofa slide, not a bed slide, and I haven't sat through a monsoon yet, either.
I would think in your case, a slide awning would likely be the answer. It's got to at least help. Otherwise, you'll have to sleep with the slide retracted, if that's possible.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote