Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Took Delivery Columbus - Factory Fix

Picked our's up Saturday, 2 hour PDI. Only issue so far is a broken curtain clamp. Windows all seem to be functioning.

Factory has tried to addressed the surround sound connectivity issue. They installed a cable from the audio out jacks, from the Samsung, into an analog jack that goes into the headphone jack, back of the Hisense. Sound is very good. The only lingering question is, how much better it might sound with coax/converter/fiber optic?

Running TV off the antenna, great picture.

One other change from the model is a wood door on the front of the laundry hamper.

Primary suggestions from the dealer, 50 amp surge protector and insect screen for exhaust vents. Mud daubers are a big problem in South Carolina.

Need to follow with the dealer for new clip and information on the factory extended warranty. I bought one on with my Flagstaff, one year additional, bumper to bumper, $150. Does Palomino offer the same? Cost?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Congrats on delivery!!!!! a wooden door??? inside the closet????

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Door

Yes, attached to the front of the metal hamper.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
Congrats on delivery!!!!! a wooden door??? inside the closet????
ok so I was just informed............. yes felicia you do have a wood door there!!!! wanna go look..............

Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

2012/2013 Changes

Looked at a couple of You Tube sales videos. The 2012 models shown did not have the door. However, that is not to say that they did not make the change sometime in 2012. Seems like the company does not hesitate to take immediate action to improve at the earliest opportunity.

Did you purchase the extended warranty?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Looked at a couple of You Tube sales videos. The 2012 models shown did not have the door. However, that is not to say that they did not make the change sometime in 2012. Seems like the company does not hesitate to take immediate action to improve at the earliest opportunity.

Did you purchase the extended warranty?
ours came with a 4 year "cornerstone" warranty. So we didn't purchase more. This covers most things electrical/mechanical with us doing preventative maintanence. Ours is a '13 model. interested in the wiring....... sooner or later I will get the connection right. % really want the tv through the surround ........... why they didn't do that -- I have no idea. We will be investing in a surge protector soon!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Connectivity

I would go the way Redfinafict is going:

Digital coax cable to converter from Hisense "audio out jack"

"Digital Audio Coaxial SPDIF Coax to Toslink Optical Digital Converter" (Amazon)
Converter needs power, plug available next to the TV, left side.

Using digital audio fiber optic cable, Converter to Samsung "audio in".
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

ordered one from Ebay last week. Just waiting on it now. The satellite to the bedroom isn't working. Will have that looked at. I can bring it in through window so I know it isn't receiver or dish.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #9

Congrats!!! Igray, I'll bet you had another night without much sleep... I know I did the night before my delivery. I know you're going to enjoy that new... what my wife calls it "condo on wheels".
Yes! my receivers audio was hooked up the same way using the ear phone jack. I should have the converter in the next day or two and will post back with results.
I asked in another thread about the window glass over the receiver. Do all of you other 320rs owners have the glass hinged from the top and the magnetic keeper on the bottom? I have to open both upper cabinet doors then the glass and then close one cabinet door carefully to hold the glass open in order to load a dvd, this just doesn't make sense to me.
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #10

Oops, forgot to address the extended warranty. Our dealer gave us the form to mail back within 10 days I believe it was. Cost $150 for one added year from Forest River.

I will agree with your dealer on the surge protection. I bought the 50amp Surge Gaurd with digital read out. Fist time we went to plug in, it found a reverse polarity issue. Electricians have allready fixed the problem. If I had it to do over I would think about a onboard unit. This one could walk off very easily.
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #11

Door

Redfinadict,

Same issue with the glass door. We did what you did, propt it with the cabinet doors above.

For some reason, I thought the factory headphone analog jack fix was new. Glad to hear that somone else is questioning how much better the sound might be with the coax/converter/fiber option connection. I already have both cables, waiting to hear how is sounds from you, will then order converter.

Calling dealer for the warranty form.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #12

when putting in a DVD we just pull out the unit........... that keeps the door up and out of the way.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinaddict View Post
Congrats!!! Igray, I'll bet you had another night without much sleep... I know I did the night before my delivery. I know you're going to enjoy that new... what my wife calls it "condo on wheels".
Yes! my receivers audio was hooked up the same way using the ear phone jack. I should have the converter in the next day or two and will post back with results.
I asked in another thread about the window glass over the receiver. Do all of you other 320rs owners have the glass hinged from the top and the magnetic keeper on the bottom? I have to open both upper cabinet doors then the glass and then close one cabinet door carefully to hold the glass open in order to load a dvd, this just doesn't make sense to me.
our receiver is on a slide,we just pull it out three inches and it holds the glass up. i got two audio cables and hooked to the output on TV and to the audio on receiver and set receiver on aux, works great
dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #14

Trying to get some info on the warrantee. Our 385 comes off line mid may. Guess that means next week. I would like specifics on what is and is not covered on the extended warranties. Plan to get at least the 2 year. What about the 5?

Can anybody help?
plein air artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #15

Congrats!!! on your new Columbus I should be picking my 320RS up on the 19th of May. Cant wait, hay you might check out XtraRide (Protective) for your extended warranty I had XtraRide on my Jayco and was pleased with the Platinum package.
www.protection.com let me know if there is anything I need to checkout on my new Columbus. Thanks
skyhooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #16

plein air artist
Look up xtraRide on the web (protective) www.protection.com under Excepition and excluded componets. Thay all very a little, I do not sell Insurance for xtraRide but I like the way do business. I also like Good Sam call 1-877-841-8523 and compare.
skyhooki is offline   Reply With Quote