Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Towing my Columbus 320RS

Just returned home after a 1000 mile round trip with our 320RS. Primarily Interstate, I-95 & I-20, with some bad sections. The Trail Aire Rota Flex pin box option was well worth the $200. It did a great job of smoothing out the roads. It towed great.
I posted this on another thread, but felt is was worth starting a new one:
If you are getting a Columbus, you might find this interesting. Some things I learned during my recent outing in our 320RS.
1) Read the manual(s) on the Toshiba TV and Panasonic stereo set up. Took me some time to figure out how to play my iPod through the system. Still learning! Sound system is killer!
2) If you plan on using the sleeper sofa, you might consider a memory foam mattress pad as that thing is HARD!. My daughter and husband slept on it last night. We couldn't get the queen size sheets to fit. Going to have to figure out which to use.
3) We should have popped for the upgraded mattress. We did get a King size bed, but we'll be installing a foam topper on that, too.
4) I made labels for many of the switches in the control panel. As you can imagine once you see all of the switches in there, WOW.
5) Read the manual on the thermostat. It's digital and programable. It's twice as complicated with two AC's.
6) My slides were noisy so I used a "dry slide lube" on the gears and some silicone spray on the guides. Made a world of difference.
7) We'll be modifying the two windows on the bedroom slide as we like it DARK.
Our 60# dog has the whole couch to herself as we looooounge in our recliners. LOVE the shower! Looking forward to years of enjoyment, and really looking forward to heading out to the mountains of NC in two weeks to go trout fishing on my favorite stream.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

We have a sabre thinking of upgrading to a Columbus. How did it go with the island? did it move when the fifth wheel was being towed? I may have other questions for you as time goes by.
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

Once the island is strapped down, it didn't move. One end butts up against the couch, then the two straps are connected and snugged up. No problem.
We also had a Sabre and traded it on the Columbus.
No problems on the questions.
Prodigy
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

Ah, on the 320RS island, our first trip out the door with the slide came open, so we turn the island so the garbage can end is toward the sink, and i bought one of those ratchet tie downs and go around it at the bottom above the wheels-- the cheap plastic catches on the one that came with the camper kept coming apart when i tried to tighten it down.
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

We are on out first outing with our Columbus. Only problem is not enough signal to the bedroom satellite.....I switched the bedroom and living room receiver so I know both work. Only issue right now. We are in the campground alone!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Amxpress - glad you're enjoying yours as much as we are enjoying ours. We were out four days last week (while attending Grandparents Day at our grandkids school) and we're heading out this coming Friday for 10 days on the road down at the Gulf of Mexico (Texas Gulf Coast).

Seeing your list...I can identify with the labels...learning the thermostat...LOVING the recliners and showers (and EVERYTHING honestly).

We saw a Columbus parked on the side of the road yesterday morning and stopped to check it out. It was in transit from the factory, and it turned out to be the 365RL model.

Looking forward to heading out Friday...lovin' our Columbus!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #7

Interesting about not enough signal to bedroom. I didnt have very good park cable especially on low channel numbers. Not sure of issue. I took down panel behind left cabinet by living room tv to see If could find an obvious easy fix but no luck. The satellite "in" by the way is a thru and thru to living room tv only as per dealer and my eyes behind panel.
It looked like main cable and off air antenna come in to powered box and then split to bedrooms set but not sure. Anyone else any insight?
rugmanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmanrn View Post
Interesting about not enough signal to bedroom. I didnt have very good park cable especially on low channel numbers. Not sure of issue. I took down panel behind left cabinet by living room tv to see If could find an obvious easy fix but no luck. The satellite "in" by the way is a thru and thru to living room tv only as per dealer and my eyes behind panel.
It looked like main cable and off air antenna come in to powered box and then split to bedrooms set but not sure. Anyone else any insight?
Have the same problem,most cable ends are not on properly,I reinstalled them HD works great but lower chanels not so good,real snowy ,cable ran in same run with electric not a good thing ,gets worse when lights are on.
dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Amxpress - glad you're enjoying yours as much as we are enjoying ours. We were out four days last week (while attending Grandparents Day at our grandkids school) and we're heading out this coming Friday for 10 days on the road down at the Gulf of Mexico (Texas Gulf Coast).

Seeing your list...I can identify with the labels...learning the thermostat...LOVING the recliners and showers (and EVERYTHING honestly).

We saw a Columbus parked on the side of the road yesterday morning and stopped to check it out. It was in transit from the factory, and it turned out to be the 365RL model.

Looking forward to heading out Friday...lovin' our Columbus!!
We also have a Ford 250 King Ranch and Columbus 320RS. We have had our Columbus out one time (can't wait for more trips...work sure does get in the way). The truck pulled the camper great. My husband was considering a chip for the truck. He is very undecided....we live in the mountains of Southwest Virginia and will be traveling mountainous terrian real soon. Our one and only trip with the new fifth wheel was south to the beach. What do you think about installing the chip?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #10

I have also considered a chip as an additional 50 hp would be nice. Being that my Cummins is still under warranty, I will wait. The transmission is a concern I have if increasing the engine's power.
Prodigy
Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Our one and only trip with the new fifth wheel was south to the beach. What do you think about installing the chip?
I've had passing thoughts about it. But, it's my understanding that it voids your warranty if you do add a chip (or modify). And, I was talking with a fellow at a truck accessory center who had put one in his truck and basically it made it so powerful it eventually blew up the engine. I sure don't want that to happen...so I'm thinking there won't be a chip in my future.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #12

Hi folks, new member, looking at a Columbus 320rs. Where did you guys purchase your trailer? I am currently talking with RV wholesalers, and they seem good, but do not take trades, so I will have to sell mine outright. I noticed the post about the upgraded hitch package with the air ride, I am assuming you would recommend that. I am towing with a 2012 GMC Denali, 6.6L. Any issues with the 3/4 ton and this unit?
Thanks for any replies, this will be a big purchase for us, so we are going slow.
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #13

Just now reading this about the "chip" whatever you do DO NOT put an evolution chip on your truck. We put one on our F250 and it was a horrible experience. Could never get it tuned in right so when it changed gears it bucked and jumped like a bucking bull. On our last trip out we had had an external cooler put on the transmission but it did not work we barely got home and just got the truck out of the shop - the transmission was eaten up. We had heard about this happening after the fact of getting the chip and talked to people who told us that their transmissions had gone out and even transmission shop heard of it so DON'T put on an evolution one. Jeane
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Look into www.bullydog.com
I would recommend highly !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs