Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
Also, Keep in mind that a turn on an elevated ground area, can increase the chance of contact between the truck and camper the same as/ or more so than just a straight turn on level ground Just ask me how I know and I do have a slider.
Great point![emoji6]
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The best solution for 6.75 ft box is a Reese Sidewinder. With my 88 degree turn cap on my Heartland Bighorn and the Reese Sidewinder I can turn a full 90 degrees. Do I normally, No! I do have a tight storage spot and having the ability to get it close to 90 helps are times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2. Sidewinder is the best option for shorter beds in my opinion. Sliders are too heavy, take up too much bed room, and seem to bind up when you need them most.

Investigate the sidewinder by Reese with the air option. Perfect solution.
X3--With Sidewinder in Short Bed and square-corner 5er I can still turn well past 90 degrees. Wildcat points out the considerable disadvantages of sliders.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #23

The front cap on our 5'er is somewhat "cab friendly", the pin box is somewhat long (TrailAir), the TV has an 8' box, and there is plenty of clearance between the bedrails and the trailer.. Still, when in doubt one of us will get out and act as a spotter.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

My 5'ver has the 90 degree turn radius corner as well...

But I've come pretty close a couple of times.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #25

I have a PullRite hitch it automatically slides so I never have to remember to unlock the slider. Not recommending any brand but get a automatic slide hitch it is worth the peace of mind and insurance deductible.
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat369 View Post
I have a PullRite hitch it automatically slides so I never have to remember to unlock the slider. Not recommending any brand but get a automatic slide hitch it is worth the peace of mind and insurance deductible.
I skipped that slider for two reasons...

1) Bigger than my wallet!

2) Damn thing weighs a ton...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The best solution for 6.75 ft box is a Reese Sidewinder. With my 88 degree turn cap on my Heartland Bighorn and the Reese Sidewinder I can turn a full 90 degrees. Do I normally, No! I do have a tight storage spot and having the ability to get it close to 90 helps are times.
We too now have a Reese Sidewinder, LOVE IT!

We used to have a slider but it was a PITA. Had to get out, put down landing gear to take weight off pin, activate the slide handle, pull forward, latch slider and repeat the process.

Now, I take the sidewinder apart at the beginning of the camping season and grease it, put it back together (about 1 hr work) and we are good to go.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle_1ben View Post
Interesting, I have wondered about the short beds and 5ers. I watched them in the campgrounds and they looked like an accident waiting to happen on the turns.

Ben
Those short bed/fifth wheel setups can still jack-knife sharper than the typical TT setup. Also unlike a TT, the point of contact is clearly visible from the driver's seat. So, in theory they are less accident prone that a TT setup. And to repeat, jack-knife a long bed/fiver setup just slightly more than 90 degrees and you will still have an accident.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle_1ben View Post
Interesting, I have wondered about the short beds and 5ers. I watched them in the campgrounds and they looked like an accident waiting to happen on the turns. I have always had 8' beds on my older trucks. I have 60" cab to axle and a flatbed on my 2013, so 90's are easy.

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
Those short bed/fifth wheel setups can still jack-knife sharper than the typical TT setup. Also unlike a TT, the point of contact is clearly visible from the driver's seat. So, in theory they are less accident prone that a TT setup. And to repeat, jack-knife a long bed/fiver setup just slightly more than 90 degrees and you will still have an accident.
SHORTBEDS ARE GREAT WITH 5ERS

With an older rig you may need a Sidewinder. I can go way past 90 degrees.
IF YOU TURN MORE THAN 90 DEGREES, YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT!

I don't need no stinking longbed.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #30

Well..... let me introduce you to the advantages of a long bed. After towing a fiver for five years and over 100,000 miles with a short bed, I have found the light! All I can say is WOW. The improvement in ride comfort is amazing. It is so much more comfortable that I would never go back to a short bed truck. Yes, the short bed truck would fit in the garage. Now I will buy a cover for it and leave it outside. I am now a believer. 176" wheel base, full four door and a 48 gallon fuel tank. It's all good.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #31

We have the same truck. Installed the slider hitch and it works. Only drawback is on ours it needs adjusting from time to time, just one bolt no problem. The other is you must be in a straight line to hook up or unhitch.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #32

Dont trust what the salesperson tells you ever.
Do your homework first as your now doing.
Get a slider hitch.
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Well..... let me introduce you to the advantages of a long bed. After towing a fiver for five years and over 100,000 miles with a short bed, I have found the light! All I can say is WOW. The improvement in ride comfort is amazing. It is so much more comfortable that I would never go back to a short bed truck. Yes, the short bed truck would fit in the garage. Now I will buy a cover for it and leave it outside. I am now a believer. 176" wheel base, full four door and a 48 gallon fuel tank. It's all good.

Didn't have the option for a short bed and didn't want it. Carry 42 gal black tank, a bottle and floor jack, 2 - 2000 watt gens and a large plastic tool tote. Still will have room for a 5th wheel hitch unless an aux fuel tank is added. By the way, bought a CalMark cover for the truck and TT. Whatever cover you buy make sure it's Sunbrella material, FL sun is brutal but it will last many years.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat369 View Post

Same here!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
All good for YOU, NOT for ME, Thanks for trying.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwralph View Post
Dont trust what the salesperson tells you ever.
Do your homework first as your now doing.
Get a slider hitch.
Or a Sidewinder if you prefer light and simple to heavy and complex.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #37

every full size pickup I have owned was a 8ft box and that's the only box I will have
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I skipped that slider for two reasons...

1) Bigger than my wallet!

2) Damn thing weighs a ton...
Point #1's not always the case. Surprisingly, the Demco Autoslide was actually the cheapest option for me. Here's what my dealer quoted me:

Demco Autoslide: $2K
Manual Slide: $2.5K
Non-Slide and Convert pin to the Reese Sidewinder: $3.5K total

I'm happy with the Demco so far, but in reality, I would have preferred the Reese. Your point #2 is spot on, these things are freaking heavy. It's been riding in the bed since the day it was installed. If I ever did need to pull it out, I'd probably have to swing by the in-laws shop so I can borrow their forklift for it.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #39

I have a 3500 RAM with an auto slider pulling a 40 ft
Cardinal. No problem. Works great.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Point #1's not always the case. Surprisingly, the Demco Autoslide was actually the cheapest option for me. Here's what my dealer quoted me:

Demco Autoslide: $2K
Manual Slide: $2.5K
Non-Slide and Convert pin to the Reese Sidewinder: $3.5K total
Don't know where your dealer got his numbers, but I figure he had a Demco autoslider in stock to sell

My sidewinder with air ride was $850 installed after shopping around. Of course I already had a standard hitch, but they are cheaper also.

Just so other folks reading don't think those are real life numbers.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck