Old 08-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Can you give us a reference as an example of a tire manufacturer that is unregulated and still able to get tires into this country with a DOT certification on its sidewall?

Unregulated may not have been the best term, however the track record of ST (aka Chinabombs or Blowmax) tire is pretty common knowledge.

The fact that these tires get a DOT number is most troubling to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470968737.725612.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	116973Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470968762.022161.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	116974
My neighbor 's Maxxis.
For you Maxxis fans

Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #13

If you're going to use LT, make sure the weight specs can handle the total load. Some can't
Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #14
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
If you're going to use LT, make sure the weight specs can handle the total load. Some can't
And, if you're going to use ST, make sure the specs can handle the load. Seen a few ST C loads that needed upgrade to D load.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
The most important 4 letters when talking trailer tires:
TPMS
I agree with this statement. I installed a monitoring system on my 5th wheel as soon as I got it home. It has been installed two years now and has alerted me to three instances of tire problems. Two on my camper and one on my truck. I will not go anywhere without the air pressure monitoring system. Also my tires are Westlake's and they are now over two years old and I hope to get another year out of them. I have about 10,000 miles on them now. They are still in good shape with plenty of thread left.

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 128
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
The most important 4 letters when talking trailer tires:
TPMS
X2 on the TPMS. It is equally as important as a reliable line of tire. IMHO Maxxis M8008 work for me. Very stable on temp and pressures.
I also recommend the TST 507RV system. Mine has done very well for over three years and been through 4 blowouts and one fast leak on the OEM China garbage. TowMax!
One more thing. Go up at least one load range if possible i.e. LRC to LRD, etc.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #17

"And, if you're going to use ST, make sure the specs can handle the load. Seen a few ST C loads that needed upgrade to D load"

The weight spec applies to any tire in any car, truck or trailer but not everyone reads as I have learned.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #18

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have had two Rockwood trailers that have ridden on factory ST tires for a total of over 30,000 miles. I have had only one tire failure in all those miles and that was on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula when a screw went through a sidewall just above the tread and couldn't be plugged or patched. However, I stay at or under 65 mph when towing, even on interstate highways; monitor my tire pressures every morning and before and after every trip; keep tire covers over the tires anytime I am not towing (UV is strong at our altitude); and never tow with full tanks or anything approaching the GVWR for the trailers.

My current 5th wheel's 18-month old OEM tires have ~16,000 miles on them, are not cracked or faded, have plenty of tread left, and are headed out on a 7.000-mile trip to the East Coast in October. I'll try to remember to post if I have to get new tires before the end of that trip!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post

My neighbor 's Maxxis.
For you Maxxis fans
Jonwisconsin, I'm not sure what you are actually stating with the pic. If you are trying to show the indentation in the sidewall of the Maxxis tire as a defect, then that it is not correct. Just about all radial tires have undulation, and I have to explain this several times a week to customers...who think they have faulty tires.

Usually, the higher the ply and pressure, the more noticeable it is. If you will run your hand on your neighbors tire directly across from the undulation on the opposite sidewall, you will feel the same there. I could go out on your TV tires and show you the same, possibly in more than one place, but it may just not be as obvious to the layman.

If you DON"T have undulation at the same place on both sidewalls, is when you may have broke plies/cords. Undulation is an indentation.

http://us.coopertire.com/CooperTires...ulletin_54.pdf

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...wledge/lex-1-4

Tire Tech Information - Sidewall Indentations, Undulations & Protrusions

I've invented a new word. "Plagiarism"
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingguy View Post
Hello,

We have Westlake on our unit currently and have driven approximately 3,000 miles over that past three years. No issues.

On our previous camper, we went approximately four years with Carlisle and then replaced with Maxxis for another four years, also with 3-4,000 miles with no issues.

I know there is junk out there, and I suppose we've been lucky. I do however check the air pressure religiously before every trip (including the return trip home) and always ensure the tires are at maximum cold pressure. I'm also careful to not rub against / over curbs and potholes if I can help it. We also cruise at 60mph (ST tires typically max out at 65 mph) so as to not overheat the tires and save fuel.

For the time I've been doing this, I've yet to see a true consensus on which tires are best, and which are the worst.

I don't think there's a true answer to your question, only opinions and war stories.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I'm still awhile away from needing new tires but I like to be as informed as I can when necessary.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, travel, travel trailer