Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Truck tires

What is the best tire for a 3500 Ram Crew 4X4 ?? I live in Montana so I run all seasons. Have Cooper Discover at3's now and getting 25,000 maybe. Weigh in
__________________

condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,983
wow... I think you are going to get a lot of opinions on this

suggest you do some reading of tire reviews of specific brands/models at tirerack dot com

I think you can form a good opinion using their thousands of reviews.

On my Dodge van 2500 I got incredible mileage on the top of the line Goodyear Wranglers... they called them Silent Armor when I bought them but I don't think they call them that now. At 55,000 mi I still had good tread left... they were load range E.
__________________

__________________
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18,969
I asked this exact question a while back.

Tires for my Ram
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
wow... I think you are going to get a lot of opinions on this



suggest you do some reading of tire reviews of specific brands/models at tirerack dot com



I think you can form a good opinion using their thousands of reviews.



On my Dodge van 2500 I got incredible mileage on the top of the line Goodyear Wranglers... they called them Silent Armor when I bought them but I don't think they call them that now. At 55,000 mi I still had good tread left... they were load range E.


Amazing mileage! Thanks for the tip on Tire Rack. I have been to their site but didn't do reviews.
condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I asked this exact question a while back.

Tires for my Ram


Thanks I knew there had to be a thread.
condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by condojj48 View Post
Thanks I knew there had to be a thread.


I talked to a guy with a 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins 4X4 and he has Michelins. He says they are quiet, great on ice and snow and the last 2 sets on his older Ram made more than 50,000 miles. I think I will try Michelins.
condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,983
Often Costco will run specials on Michelins... I got mine there last Feb. Price even without the sale price was the best I could find. I think a sale price is being advertised now... but seems like every 3-4 months they go on sale.
__________________
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: MA
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by condojj48 View Post
I talked to a guy with a 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins 4X4 and he has Michelins. He says they are quiet, great on ice and snow and the last 2 sets on his older Ram made more than 50,000 miles. I think I will try Michelins.
I have been running Michelin LTX M/S 2's (Now called Defender LTX M/S) for years on my 2500HD. I plow in the winter and tow in the summer and have consistently got 60k from a set. They are well worth the money.
Carvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Truck tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Often Costco will run specials on Michelins... I got mine there last Feb. Price even without the sale price was the best I could find. I think a sale price is being advertised now... but seems like every 3-4 months they go on sale.


So right. The guy I mentioned just bought his 265 70 17's for 200 each at Costco while most places are $235. Trouble is our Costco is 90 miles away so rotations wouldn't be easy. Thanks
condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Cypressloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alberta - East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Posts: 1,642
I have Michelin and Duratrac. The Michelin are firmer in the shoulder, better for towing the 5th wheel. The Duratrac are softer in the shoulders which makes the driving a bit wobbly but they give me the traction I need in the winter. They are both rated M/S but the Michelin are basically the knife in a gun fight when compared to Duratrac.
__________________

__________________
2018 RAM 5500 Laramie CC
Riverstone Legacy 38RE, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt AGM Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires, truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.