Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Truck/Trailer Combo

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and will hopefully gain knowledge and in the future cautiously try to help out and suggest some advice as I learn thru my experiences .. I am posting here for hopefully some advice and gained information to ease my worries for I tried to educate myself and decide on a truck and Fifth wheel combination based purely on safety and towing capability . I decided to start with what I could afford in my truck/ Tow vehicle and then proceed with the Fifth wheel. What I was able to combine was a 2015 f250 CC 6.2L V8 4x4 and a Palomino Columbus 295RL ..

When making my decision I didn't go directly with my Salesman from both dealer's.. I read thru many sites and I tell you there are so many it created more confusion then easing or creating any confidence in making a decision.. I decided to speak with a Fleet manager at a different Ford dealership from where I had purchased my truck with him understanding I already had made a purchase.. He was extremely knowledgeable and insured me I was within limits.. I of course received the same info from the RV dealer.. So now here are my concerns.. My f250 has a max towing capability being 4x4 with 3.73 gears of 12,100 with a fifth wheel.. My combined weight is 19,000 lbs. My Trailer dry weighs in an 10,860 lbs. per the sticker .. I never had calculated my Pin weight .. Score one for the newbies.. I checked the door sticker on my truck and it reads MAX cargo of 2640 lbs. including passengers.. So if I add I my wife our 2 dogs and the fifth wheel hitch of roughly 200 lbs.. That = 670 lbs.And I hadn't included fuel weight yet If I am not calculating correctly I am in a bit of trouble correct..? 2,640 lbs. of allowed cargo Minus 670 lbs. = 1970 lbs. So if I calculate pin weight of 10,860 lbs. ( DRY) I am at 2,172 lbs. @ 20% rule .. Please somebody tell me I am incorrect on my calculations for the Ink is dried on both contracts

If there is anyone who can calculate very close #'s for me on everything I would be greatly appreciative ..

Thank you in advance -Ed
Vonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

Your numbers are correct. However you don't have a loaded 5'er. Add 1000-1500lbs to it and now you're at (1250lb average) 12,110lbs. 20% rule for pin is now 2422lbs. Now you only have 218lbs left. Your 5th hitch will eat that up. Some guys don't use the payload but go by the RAWR. If you do that then you'll be fine. But that's a personal decision that only you can make. JMHO but I would never tow 12,000lbs with a gasser and 3.73 gears. I would get the 4.30 gears and for that 5'er you need a higher payload rating. F350 would be the better choice. Biggest thing is that no one tows an empty trailer. We carry 1500lbs with us in our 5'er. I like to take what I want and don't worry about overloading it as I've got plenty of CCC in the 5'er. If you pack light then figure 1000lbs added to the trailers sticker and adjust accordingly. Your on the right track though.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks Goduc,

I hadn't heard anyone using the rawr .. How can you calculate the Rear axle weight rating for your safe Pin weight ..? Again I'm confused

I am not sure you understood in my post that the ink is dried on both contracts meant.. I purchased the f250 2 weeks ago and am taking delivery Tuesday on the Fifth wheel.. They already have my Travel Trailer trade and as of yesterday it was shipped off to another dealer.. So at this point I feel I'm cemented in on what I have.. I guess looking for some comfort .. I am taking the truck with my wife , full tank of gas and Dogs to a Cat scale today to get full weights.. I will add another 200lbs. for safe measure.. If it is what it is.. will I be safe and if not what can I possibly do besides air bags .. helper springs etc.. Seems to be everyones answer .. But if I am not mistaken adding suspension support doesn't fix my issue

Thanks again -Ed
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Broke and happy

I would not fret unless your truck tires blow when setting the down the hitch . I have similar weight issue. Air bags fixed the sag.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonner View Post
Thanks Goduc,

I hadn't heard anyone using the rawr .. How can you calculate the Rear axle weight rating for your safe Pin weight ..? Again I'm confused

I am not sure you understood in my post that the ink is dried on both contracts meant.. I purchased the f250 2 weeks ago and am taking delivery Tuesday on the Fifth wheel.. They already have my Travel Trailer trade and as of yesterday it was shipped off to another dealer.. So at this point I feel I'm cemented in on what I have.. I guess looking for some comfort .. I am taking the truck with my wife , full tank of gas and Dogs to a Cat scale today to get full weights.. I will add another 200lbs. for safe measure.. If it is what it is.. will I be safe and if not what can I possibly do besides air bags .. helper springs etc.. Seems to be everyones answer .. But if I am not mistaken adding suspension support doesn't fix my issue

Thanks again -Ed
Ya I reread your post and I see that you own them. Your RAWR is on the door sticker. My only concern is you'll be over on every category except RAWR. You're over on tow, payload and GVW. It is what it is. I've seen worse and there are lots of people towing more with 3/4 tons. Bags or Timbrens would fix the overloaded condition. You won't legally fix anything. But IMO all that ins stuff or getting pulled over by a cop cause you're over weight are internet myths. I've seen no data to back any of it up. I think it's drummed up by paranoid old guys. Your RAWR is around 62-6300OORC. So if you rear weighs 28-2900lbs then you have 35-3200lbs before you max out the RAWR. I'm not sure why when you add the FAWR and the RAWR they don't add up to the GVW. But it is what it is. I'm over weight with my setup. Albeit only 200lbs over GVW. But under my 12,500lb tow rating by 3500lbs and under my GCVWR by 4000lbs and under my RAWR by 1100lbs. That's what happens when you tow with 3/4 tons as opposed to 1 tons. Frankly I'd tow exactly what you're getting and have looked at the 295RL. My tow rating is 12,500 with my Ram 2500. An equivalent 3500 is IIRC 13,400lbs. So only the rear springs essentially limit me from towing what a 3500 does. Plus I'd gain another 500lbs in payload. I added Timbrens to my truck and it only squats 1+" with the 1800lb pin I have. Adding another 700lbs would still leave me under my RAWR. My tires also limit my RAWR. If I moved up to the next size, which is in the higher trim levels then I gain 200lbs of RAWR. I guess like anything else you can work the numbers to make yourself comfortable.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #6

Hate that when someone starts to throw around the term "LEGAL"

Then people will say that "If you are stopped and weighed you will be ticketed" Ok, what law will they cite? there are NONE... Wait. there is one federal law that I know of. It says that the GVW can not be more than 80,000 lbs. Good luck exceeding that with your TT or Fiver.

You are much more likely to be pulled over for a burnt out tail light, or having a rig that is swaying uncontrollably over the road, or not having a brake controller, or your headlights are pointing straight up in the air blinding him.

Thanks!
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Hate that when someone starts to throw around the term "LEGAL"

Then people will say that "If you are stopped and weighed you will be ticketed" Ok, what law will they cite? there are NONE... Wait. there is one federal law that I know of. It says that the GVW can not be more than 80,000 lbs. Good luck exceeding that with your TT or Fiver.

You are much more likely to be pulled over for a burnt out tail light, or having a rig that is swaying uncontrollably over the road, or not having a brake controller, or your headlights are pointing straight up in the air blinding him.

Thanks!
My point exactly. If the cops wanted to give out over weight tickets all they would have to do is sit outside any CG in the U.S and wait for 1/2 the 3/4 ton trucks to roll out towing over weight. Just walk around and CG and you'll find one guy for sure. Doesn't make it right, but at the same time unless a guy's towing grossly over weight it won't hurt a thing. It's done everyday. I'm not advocating it like anyone else, but a little common sense goes a long way.

I tow 200lbs over GVW. Whoop T Doo. Towing my 5'er 200lbs over the trucks GVW is a lot safer than the guy with the short WB SUV towing a 32' TT at his max.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

every single 3/4 ton truck runs out of payload fast when towing 5er`s as heavy as ours, the truck should be ok but sitting close to the max #`s which IMO is ok, but as said before 4.30 gears will help with towing but around town not so good. I talk to lots of gassers 6.2`s towing as heavy as you , most want a more powerful engine but get what they can afford

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #9

Go to your local scales and get actual weights. It's nice to calculate per sticker's weight and door placards, but until you actually sit on a scale and get real numbers, you're just guessing.
Load the trailer, hook up and pull just your truck on the scale with the fiver in tow. Be sure to include weight in the truck for your passengers.
Then pull forward to have the trailer & truck on the scale.
Then pull the front truck tires off the scale.
Then pull the truck off leaving the trailer on the scale.
Now you will have real figures to work with. As mentioned, air bags might level your truck front the load, but technically does not increase your payload.
Good luck, you'll live your Columbus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #10

I want to thank everyone for their personal input and advice.. For a recap I took the truck to a scat scale and axled out..

Steering - 4440 lb
Drive - 3740 lb

Gross 8180lb

Now these #'s are with a full tank of gas , my wife and I .. My Box in which I placed my full equalizer hitch for some extra unseen weight , X2 x-chocks ,, Hydraulic jack Tools and miscellaneous important items of which I'm estimating to be roughly 275-300 lbs,, ,My Pull-Rite 16k ultra glide hitch installed , and 4 cases of Dasani 16oz bottles of water in the back seats to represent my pets and more miscellaneous..

I am within limits but I know after I hook up I will be over on pretty much everything.. So yesterday I went to a local Heavy Equipment Fitter named Tampa Springs , They deal with many RV dealers not to mention many Heavy truck as in Semi's etc.. Most of theTampa area fire departments etc.. They also deal with individuals on a personal basis .. They Directed me towards the Hellwig 3511 3500lb progressive set of Helper springs.. They install several Air bag applications but felt that the helper springs would be best for my issue..
So today we took delivery of the Fifth Wheel.. Oh what a beauty .. The 2-3 hour walk thru was great .. And now it was hook up time.. I had feared that the weight would produce serious sag even with the helper springs installed.. I and a few of the techs at the Dealer were amazed..( Tampa RV) that it only sagged an exact 1" .. We again checked the Placard and it read shipping weight of 10,882 ( I was wrong on first post) .. So I took delivery and drove it home and decided to travel the short 25 miles with 1/2 of my fresh tank filled to represent added weight to see how she handled.. I have to be honest the Truck performed incredible and the fifth wheel trailered even better... It was a huge increase in handling with the same performance from the power train as when we pulled the Travel Trailer ( 35' Keystone Premier Bullet 6800lbs dry) So tomorrow I am going to go get new numbers and see where I am at with the rig loaded up the same but this time with the wife playing house with her gear .. Pretty much packed up minus the fresh water that I will drain .. We are actually taking it up to Carrabelle FL. ( Ho-Hum RV park ) so this would be a true test at the scales minus our pets.. I will post actual numbers later.. I also have pics to post once I find a hosting site so I can link them .. Again Thanks for the help ..- Ed
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #11

I want to see pics of your new trailer! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #12

There are consistently many arguments both ways on this issue. Choosing not to upgrade from a ¾ ton to a 1 ton, I opted instead to try airbags on my 2011 Silverado 6.6 diesel, with exhaust brake. I have been hauling my 5’er for over a year now at about 500 pounds over on “pin weight” and near capacity for the fifth wheel at just over 17,000 pounds. No issues or problems…however, I am very particular about my tires, brakes, axles, etc.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #13

Howdy all,

Well today I wasn't able to get down to the scales for a new ticket ,, But I did get it fully loaded and then some.. With the additional weight it sagged a whole wopping 1 3/4" inches .. actually just under .. pretty much equal on both sides .. my front raised around 3/4 " I figured I will roll thru the scales on my way out come Friday .. I did manage to load up some pics on a hosting site.. I am linking a Slideshow.. Hope it works.. Chat again soon .. and again .. Thanks for the Help .. - Ed

Columbus Slideshow by vonner1 | Photobucket
Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
BuzzinHornet

That is one nice combo! Congrats.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #15

My first thought was to get out the popcorn and crack open a beer and start reading. This post is very similar to many many that I had before. Opinions but you will probably be more confused than you were before you posted it. Here's what I can tell you from real life experience. First of all you will never get a ticket from the Highway Patrol. They are not interested one bit about people knowing recreational vehicles. They have more than they can do to keep up with the commercial traffic. Secondly, I have 2012 F 250 4X4, 6.2L with 3.73 gears and tow a 2013 Sabre 33ckts with no problems over 4,000 miles. I think you will be just fine. Just drive safe and keep your tires inflated correctly and in good shape. GRAWR is based on what tires you have. Check the sticker on the door with your tire rating and compare.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #16

Yup, have fun Campin!! Enjoy the truck and trailer. You'll be fine
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #17

Was in this model today and it is one nice camper!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #18

Just noticed this thread today.
Vonner, your weights are what they are and your truck will not suddenly collapse under the load (I hope ) but it might be a good idea to keep a close eye on the tires.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck