Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

TT to 5th wheel.what now

SO I put money down on a new Sabre 34TBOK and will pick up next Thursday, hopefully. We have had our 28BH TT for about 18 months and loved it. I have pulled gooseneck trailers before, but not a long distance. Any tips on driving and also what will i need different for setup on a 5er vs my TT?
Thanks
Joel
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
SO I put money down on a new Sabre 34TBOK and will pick up next Thursday, hopefully. We have had our 28BH TT for about 18 months and loved it. I have pulled gooseneck trailers before, but not a long distance. Any tips on driving and also what will i need different for setup on a 5er vs my TT?
Thanks
Joel
Congrats on the TBOK!

Most scenarios are real similar only difference is your pivot point is moved foward so backing for the first few times may be frustrating for you .
It will also track different around corners vs a bumper pull.
Slow and wide till you get used to it.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Congrats on your new Sabre 34TBOK!!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

X2 from Turbo and I would add give yourself a lot more distance for braking. We have a Cardinal 30RK trading up from a Terry 26. I was stunned how much harder it is to stop. You will love hooking it up. If you were using sway and load levelers, there is none of that. You just back up lock the hitch put breakaway cable, plug in the lights pull up the legs do your safety check and go. Best part for us is the 5th Wheel pulls down the road so well. Once you get going you don't even know it is back there when towing with a 250 SD. Hard to keep it between 60 and 65, it wants to go.
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Wiscampsin, did you just use an L-bracket to secure the shoe rack to the wall? We have a new 2013 Wildcat Maxx 313RE, in lots of ways similar to your rig. Was thinking of a small bench in that spot, room under for shoes. Right now using one of those Ikea hanger-in-the-closet shoe doohickies. Nice seasonal spot you have there, looks pretty nice.

Nev
Days camped 2013 = 51 (as of 26 Apr)
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

Congrats on the new Sabre! I think everything has already been said about towing, the hookup (hitch) process is definately different. Might not be bad to make some notes on the process until you get used to the steps.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

One more question.... I have a short box (6'-9") bed and have the b&w turnover ball now. Am i ok with the companion hitch? B&W say yes, but watch when backing. The dealer says i have to use a slider unless i have a 8ft box. B&W is coming out with the slider, but not yet. When they do, I can buy that base and be good to go.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Congrats on the 34TBOK. We picked up our 34TBOK last week and cant wait to use it. Still loading it and trying to figure out where everything goes!
Scott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Congrats on the new -----

Congratulations on the new 5 th wheel. You will need a little practice about hooking up to the king pin. But after a few times, it will be a snap.

Towing will be a lot easier than a TT, You can make "U" turns where you could not make with a TT. No swaying when a big 18 wheeler passes you, you will be rock steady when being passed.

Oh by the way, you will now have so much more storage area, you do not have to leave anything at home except the empty house!

I have a hard fast rule about hooking up to the king pin. ALWAYS TEST THE KING PIN CONNECTION after your hitch locks on to the king pin. Before picking up on the front landing gear all the way ( I pick landing gear up about 3") Use your controller to lock the brakes on the 5 th wheel to test pulling forward to insure your hitch is locked onto the king pin. Then pick up your front landing gear the rest of the way after this test is satisfactory. Sort of "RED FACED" if you pull forward, fifth wheel drops down on the truck bed.

Again, congratulations of your new fiver!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
One more question.... I have a short box (6'-9") bed and have the b&w turnover ball now. Am i ok with the companion hitch? B&W say yes, but watch when backing. The dealer says i have to use a slider unless i have a 8ft box. B&W is coming out with the slider, but not yet. When they do, I can buy that base and be good to go.

Thanks
You will see varying opinions on the need for a slider with a short bed truck. That being said, here is mine. I had a slider in my previous short bed truck. I only really needed it one time, but that one time was worth having it in there (I was backing into a very tight spot). If I had to do it over again, I would have a slider.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
...Use your controller to lock the brakes on the 5 th wheel to test pulling forward to insure your hitch is locked onto the king pin. Then pick up your front landing gear the rest of the way after this test is satisfactory. Sort of "RED FACED" if you pull forward, fifth wheel drops down on the truck bed.[/COLOR]

And don't fold the hand rail out into the path of the power awning arms, otherwise bad things happen so I've been told.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #12

You will see varying opinions on the need for a slider with a short bed truck. That being said, here is mine. I had a slider in my previous short bed truck. I only really needed it one time, but that one time was worth having it in there (I was backing into a very tight spot). If I had to do it over again, I would have a slider.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Think I'm skipping it for now, but will add the slider base when its available.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #13

TT to Fifth Wheel

Here is my opionion on the slider issue, I had a shortbed 2500 for 5 years with my previous fiver and used the slider aprox 6 times but when it was needed it really came in handy i would highly recomend a slider.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have had a slider in my 6' bed since I bought my 5th wheel a year and a half ago.
Needed it yet ? NO
Will I need it ? Maybe
Would I buy another if I needed ? YES
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Congratulations on the new 5 th wheel. You will need a little practice about hooking up to the king pin. But after a few times, it will be a snap.

Towing will be a lot easier than a TT, You can make "U" turns where you could not make with a TT. No swaying when a big 18 wheeler passes you, you will be rock steady when being passed.

Oh by the way, you will now have so much more storage area, you do not have to leave anything at home except the empty house!

I have a hard fast rule about hooking up to the king pin. ALWAYS TEST THE KING PIN CONNECTION after your hitch locks on to the king pin. Before picking up on the front landing gear all the way ( I pick landing gear up about 3") Use your controller to lock the brakes on the 5 th wheel to test pulling forward to insure your hitch is locked onto the king pin. Then pick up your front landing gear the rest of the way after this test is satisfactory. Sort of "RED FACED" if you pull forward, fifth wheel drops down on the truck bed.

This. Always do a pull test- even with the B&W (though your have to try real hard and just plan forget to pull the latch handle is the only way you're going to drop a fiver with a B&W).

Your fifth wheel king pin plate is supposed to ride up the ramp of the hitch to the jaws. With a B&W, that may not be necessary, but it's in their instructions so I do it.

Get a lube plate right away and put it on before you hitch up. I wish my dealer would have told me that. They didn't even encourage me to grease the hitch. I know have scratches on my B&W.

Oh and do a pull test- every time.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #16

Quote:

Thanks
As everyone has said, you will find varying answers to this question. My opinion will probably carry less weight than the others because I do not even have my new camper yet. But I have done a lot of research, and the opinion of the hitch manufacturers is that you do some measuring. They say you need 1/2 of the width of the trailer, plus 4 inches from the back of the cab to the middle of the axle. So, with the columbus, you need 54 inches. If I remember correctly, mine was approximately 40". With most of the sliders, they will give you about 11-12 inches of slide (could be wrong on this, been a while). I have decided to go with a sidewinder pin box (5th airborne). This will probably be overkill because it will give me an extra 22" at the pivot point, but I want to make sure I am good, even when I am setting up by myself. I also did not like some of the sliders and the removal process. I ended up with the Reese 18K elite. Seems to be easier to remove. Anyway, thats my 2 cents, based solely on research, not experience. Good luck.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Denver, CO

Measure it . Some of the new 5er's are swept back at the front edges and don't need a slider. I have a pullrite super glide which I don't need with my new 5'er but since its installed with only 4 small hole in the bed, I am keeping it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #18

Smile slider or not

I would check it out with the b&w first, most of the new campers have raked off the corners off the fifth wheels to help all of the short box trucks, being a dealer tech I see more short boxes the 8 ft boxes, & a lot of the campers we looked at in the last 2 shows were pushing that u didn't need a slider, so with that u might be all right. I've always had a big box on my trucks, for hauling all those supplies for those honey dew projects, lol. hope u enjoy your new camper, we take delivery of are 36qbok next saturday , hope it quits snowing here.
bcurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #19

I agree that the new ones are rounded off so you get a lot more turning radius with them. But, the measurements come from the hitch manufacturers, and if they are right I will not be able to turn a full 90. Not that I will be doing that very often, but, it I do need it, I will have the ability to do so. I also like the benefits of the 5th airborne pin box, basically like an air ride with the shock system. I will keep everyone posted when I get her and have an opportunity to tow with it.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote