Old 09-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

TV/Antenna Questions

Just got back from our first "real" camping trip in our 2017 FB180 Palomini-- 2 nights at 10,000 ft above sea level with no hookups or power.

Learned a ton about what performs well and what needs improvement on this trailer as well as what falls apart on bumpy roads. We'll save that for a future discussion, though.

What I need to know today is how to get a TV installed and how to get the most performance out of the factoy-supplied antenna. Unlike most of the bigger Palomino models, mine came with a fixed position TV antenna. It looks like what is called a "Bat Wing" design -- but doesn't appear to raise or lower - or even turn. There is nothing in the owner's manual about this particular antenna (although there are comments about an adjustable model) -- so I'm wondering if it is worth even trying to use it. Should I just invest in a larger omnidirectional model?

Also, just bought a little 19-inch flat screen and was wondering how I install the bracket I bought with it. There is a power outlet as well as a coax outlet on the bulkhead wall above the dinette. On the panelling directly below the 2 outlets, there is a sticker that says "TV backer." Is this a reinforced plate between the studs to which I can screw the TV mount?

The instructions that came with the mount says "mount on sheetrock only" and that I should mount it on a wall stud. If this "Backer" is substantial enough, though, I see no reason why I shouldn't mount the bracket on it -- rather than a wall stud. The TV weighs less than 10lbs.

Your thoughts?

TIA

mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #2

The backer is for mounting the TV and should hold it fine don't use long screws nothing bigger then about 1.5 inches. Not sure about your antenna other then it is more then likely what they call an omni directional until. I have not heard good things about fixed units.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The backer is for mounting the TV and should hold it fine don't use long screws nothing bigger then about 1.5 inches. Not sure about your antenna other then it is more then likely what they call an omni directional until. I have not heard good things about fixed units.
I appreciate the input, it's exactly what I wanted to know.

I suspect you are right about it being "Omni Directional." It looks a lot like this one:

https://jet.com/product/detail/f2ae8...a-b5459fdf736e
Old 09-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

I've owned many RV's with about every type of OTA antenna and in my humble opinion, you just can't beat the crankup Winegard unit. It rotates to "face" the available stations and works even better with their inexpensive WINGMAN option installed.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #5

My guess is what you have is a CA-2500. I have the same thing and and I am replacing it tomorrow with a King Jack. From everything I have heard, those antennas are not very good. I have never gotten mine to work well at all.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

And Thanks To All...

I've gotten a number of good suggestions. Thank you all.

Sounds like I have a low-dollar omni-directional antenna that needs to be replaced with something more effective. I guess what I need to do is to select either a directional antenna or another (but higher quality) omni-directional antenna.

I am concerned about the need to add or modify a roof penetration -- as that invites leaks.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #7

If you take your time and follow the directions along with good common sense your antenna installation will not leak. I have the old tried and true wineguard batwing on my new TT with a wingman installed and get excellent reception.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #8

I installed a King Jack OA8500 this morning. I will see how well it really works once I head out on my next trip.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #9

King Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
I installed a King Jack OA8500 this morning. I will see how well it really works once I head out on my next trip.
Let us know how well it works.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #10

Just tested it at Lake Bob Sandlin State Park. Picked up 7 channels. 1 was not very goog but the rest were crystal clear. The antenna that came with the camper might pull in a channel but it would freeze up and it couldn't be watched. So I would say the King Jack gets 5 stars.

Tags
antenna