Old 06-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
To the positive posters, Thank You , for your input and concern, I really appreciate it. Our dogs are our babies, and we just want what is best for them..However, we don't know all the answers and do need help from time to time...It is indeed frustrating when one does ask for help, and does not immediately get it..."Go to" makes me very angry, but I am not going to feed the troll or engage in a flame war...I am better than that...My second post, albeit not eloquent, after a "re read" I stand by. If we do not get involved, we will ultimately be Palomino "specific" forum..Once more to the positive posters..luv you guys...thank you, to the haters, have a good life...vernon

wolfcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
I did not suggest for you to go to another forum to make you angry.
If I had a question like yours, I would not just limit my responses to one forum. Though the FR forum is an excellent source of information and advice, the forum has more members and will often provide quicker responses.
Don't be so defensive in your posts, be nicer, like your doggies.

2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Villa Estate 392FLFB
saw gf's dad's 5er yesterday. 92 sandpiper and it has 3 steps. with 2 it would have been too high to step up to but with 3 it seemed too low. no happy medium it seems!
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
I'd try a dog ramp or an up and out harness before making mods to the stairs.

Helps getting him into the truck, too.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
I read your post and I am wondering if the vision impairment is the only issue your dog has?
Does it have any mobility (arthritis) problems?

The reason I ask is because I believe that you should treat a blind dog the very same way you treat a seeing dog. They use their noses much more than their eyes and I am sure that your dog knows where the stairs are even though he/she can't see them.
I have a 3 year old dog who can see, and even she had some initial issues about using the 2 stairs on the trailer. I had to pull her out and then in again a few times before she was comfortable with using them. She much prefered just jumping over the stairs and right into or out of the unit.

Unless your dog has some joint issues I don't think it will need a 3rd stair IMO.

Maybe you could try placing a treat on each step and let it smell it's way into the trailer. Do this several times and then try it with just a treat inside the trailer, and then just one outside on the ground. Do this alot over several days and I am sure it will work.

Like they say with people, when one sense is gone, the others become more sensitive/strong. Dogs use their noses alot!!! When my Lab plays fetch, she smells for the ball and I can tell she is not even using her eyes to 'look' for it, she will go right past it when it is in clear sight, just because she is not tuned into her eyes ATM, just her nose.
So just think how sensitive your dogs nose is!!!!
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Hi Vern,
While we do not have the same trailer as you, this might still be applicable. Our trailer came from the factory with just 2 steps, they did not offer the earlier models with 3 steps. For us and the dealer, it was not just a matter of swapping out 2 steps for 3, but it was first finding steps of a similar width for our openings and then next finding the best fit for height. We even contacted FR and there was no simple easy swap for this. We still had to do some fabrication to make 3 steps work, but it did take a lot of research so that we would not end up with the bottom step being too close to the ground, causing a problem with it opening up.
Best Wishes,
flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
Guys, thank you for the ideas and concern..Millie is 11 years old, the problem is she knows where the steps are and knows their are drops, but the distance between the steps are just a little too much. I can tell it causes her a great deal of stress to navigate. Also she is small for a border collie and her legs are just not quite long enough to go down comfortably. Going to take all your ideas to heart and figure out what will be the best for our pup.
Again, a heartfelt Thank You to all, and thanks for caring...Vern : )

wolfcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote