Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #1

Two stairs or three stairs - Puma 25RS

my puma 25RS has a two step fold down stair. Would a three step stair fit and be workable? Need one more step to help our blind border collie negotiate Getting in and out of the camper
thanks, Vern
wolfcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #2

k, so I see there has been 81 views to this post, and not one response.....So did I unknowingly post a stupid question, known to all but me ??? I am trying to find a solution to help my dog who can not see...This Palomino Forum will eventually die on the vine if there is not enough participation...Are you not proud owner's or what??...Maybe you just don't care about dogs who can not see, and how to make things better for them...I give up ....If any of the 81 viewers has a response I would love to hear...
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

My neighbor has a Puma with three steps. I think it's a 30-FQSS. It's a couple of years old so it may be a different model but that looks like the floorplan they have. The bottom step is a couple of inches off the ground on a level pad. I'm thinking about getting a 3 step for our Tracer because if we need to raise the door side, the last step is a big one.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat1 View Post
k, so I see there has been 81 views to this post, and not one response.....So did I unknowingly post a stupid question, known to all but me ??? I am trying to find a solution to help my dog who can not see...This Palomino Forum will eventually die on the vine if there is not enough participation...Are you not proud owner's or what??...Maybe you just don't care about dogs who can not see, and how to make things better for them...I give up ....If any of the 81 viewers has a response I would love to hear...

Sorry that no one been able to answer the question for you. If I can't add anything I usually don't post a reply. It might be that others might not have an answer either. Your question is not stupid - I wish I could help.

I don't know if another board area would get more traffic or if changing the subject title would help or not. I didn't check where your post is located since I go to "new posts" or "recent posts" first to read.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some feedback. I don't have the same type trailer or I would give it a try. Would your dealer service department be able to proive some insight for you?

BTW - when I first read the title tonight "two stairs or three stairs" I thought of it relating to a fifth wheel and almost didn't read the post.

Take care,
Terie

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Villa Estate 392FLFB

i took the 3 steps off my unit and put deck steps up to it.

really there is no difference between 2 and 3 in my opinion. if you put a portable step at the bottom it works just as well.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #6

If you're not getting the kind of responses you expect, maybe you should ask your question on another site. Try posting it on rv.net/forum. Many more people are on there.
BTW, you might consider cutting back on the caffiene.
Good luck.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #7

Is a three step the same height from the door to the ground as a two step? If so you have your answer.
Jack
PS...You are kind of new here...I think you will find that we are a very helping crowd here...your second post on this thread was rather harsh. That does not mean we are pansies that get our feelings hurt easily...it means you should read that post again...I think you will understand.
And yes we LOVE dogs...let me tell you 'bout our Cock-A-Poo's!LOL

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #8

My neighbor's has the third step below what would be my second step. Like I said before the bottom step is a couple of inches off the ground on a level pad.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #9

Our Rockwood TT has 2 steps. We had a 14 year old dog that had arthritis & stairs were painful & hard for her. Until her passing, I used my late wifes' fiberglass wheel chair ramp. It supports 400lbs. and I could put stakes in the ground where it touches, then if needed, bungie the top to the last stair by some pre drilled holes for more stability. She loved it & we only wanted to help her so she could camp too. I purchased it at a local medical store, but its been a few years ago and I'm sure prices change. I also have a pet-step that folds in half that will support 250-300lbs. I use it all the time when pulling the pontoon up to a lakeside campsite. Once the dog goes up the ramp & knows what it's for, they will always use it. Hope this gives you some help.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #10

One other possible suggestion not yet mentioned. How about a step exerciser in place of replacing the two steps. We picked up one from the wallmart store for about $25. It has an adjustable feature making it 3 or 4 inches or about 6 inches high. Has a Gold's gym decal that I haven't been able to get off but that kinda gives the impression that I work out a lot (yea right).
TDewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #11

To the positive posters, Thank You , for your input and concern, I really appreciate it. Our dogs are our babies, and we just want what is best for them..However, we don't know all the answers and do need help from time to time...It is indeed frustrating when one does ask for help, and does not immediately get it..."Go to another..forum" makes me very angry, but I am not going to feed the troll or engage in a flame war...I am better than that...My second post, albeit not eloquent, after a "re read" I stand by. If we do not get involved, we will ultimately be ignored..ie Palomino "specific" forum..Once more to the positive posters..luv you guys...thank you, to the haters, have a good life...vernon
Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #12

I did not suggest for you to go to another forum to make you angry.
If I had a question like yours, I would not just limit my responses to one forum. Though the FR forum is an excellent source of information and advice, the rv.net forum has more members and will often provide quicker responses.
Don't be so defensive in your posts, be nicer, like your doggies.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Villa Estate 392FLFB

saw gf's dad's 5er yesterday. 92 sandpiper and it has 3 steps. with 2 it would have been too high to step up to but with 3 it seemed too low. no happy medium it seems!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I'd try a dog ramp or an up and out harness before making mods to the stairs.

Helps getting him into the truck, too.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
(Kim)

I read your post and I am wondering if the vision impairment is the only issue your dog has?
Does it have any mobility (arthritis) problems?

The reason I ask is because I believe that you should treat a blind dog the very same way you treat a seeing dog. They use their noses much more than their eyes and I am sure that your dog knows where the stairs are even though he/she can't see them.
I have a 3 year old dog who can see, and even she had some initial issues about using the 2 stairs on the trailer. I had to pull her out and then in again a few times before she was comfortable with using them. She much prefered just jumping over the stairs and right into or out of the unit.

Unless your dog has some joint issues I don't think it will need a 3rd stair IMO.

Maybe you could try placing a treat on each step and let it smell it's way into the trailer. Do this several times and then try it with just a treat inside the trailer, and then just one outside on the ground. Do this alot over several days and I am sure it will work.

Like they say with people, when one sense is gone, the others become more sensitive/strong. Dogs use their noses alot!!! When my Lab plays fetch, she smells for the ball and I can tell she is not even using her eyes to 'look' for it, she will go right past it when it is in clear sight, just because she is not tuned into her eyes ATM, just her nose.
So just think how sensitive your dogs nose is!!!!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #16

Hi Vern,
While we do not have the same trailer as you, this might still be applicable. Our trailer came from the factory with just 2 steps, they did not offer the earlier models with 3 steps. For us and the dealer, it was not just a matter of swapping out 2 steps for 3, but it was first finding steps of a similar width for our openings and then next finding the best fit for height. We even contacted FR and there was no simple easy swap for this. We still had to do some fabrication to make 3 steps work, but it did take a lot of research so that we would not end up with the bottom step being too close to the ground, causing a problem with it opening up.
Best Wishes,
Chuck
flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #17

Guys, thank you for the ideas and concern..Millie is 11 years old, the problem is she knows where the steps are and knows their are drops, but the distance between the steps are just a little too much. I can tell it causes her a great deal of stress to navigate. Also she is small for a border collie and her legs are just not quite long enough to go down comfortably. Going to take all your ideas to heart and figure out what will be the best for our pup.
Again, a heartfelt Thank You to all, and thanks for caring...Vern : )

Tags
25rs