Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Unable to get Columbus Parts

My rig has been in the shop for over 10 weeks now as a result of a blowout from a bad Akuret tire. This is the largest authorized repair shop in the area. Unfortunately, after waiting weeks for replacement parts, they arrived damaged and were rejected by the repair shop. Now, more than a month later, Forest River/Columbus have yet to replace them
E-mail from shop manager “I CALLED THEM THIS MORNING SHE GAVE ME THE TRACKING NUMBER.. YRC .. NUMBER IS 312234733-6. I TRACKED AND NOTHING COMES UP..IM CALLING THE THERE SUPERVISOR UP THERE THIS AFTERNOON.. I AM SO UPSET WITH THIS COMPANY THE WAY US AS A BIG REPAIR CENTER FOR THEM ARE TREATING US, YOUR UNIT, AS LONG WITH 3 OTHERS HERE WE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH FOREST RIVER PARTS.. PARTS PEOPLE ARE BLAMING SHIPPING.. I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS MESS TODAY AND WILL BE GLADLY TO LET YOU KNOW.. ONCE AGAIN LARRY I DO APOLOGIES FOR THIS.. THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

ALSO,
Here is a link on the Palomino website that allows you to contact Columbus parts directly:
Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Trailer Trash

The shipping excuse has been used more than once with Columbus parts. Probably a Forest River thing. The Columbus model took off like wildfire and I'm sure most available parts go to making new rigs and get them out to dealers vs. getting a few parts out to dealers. It's all about the almighty dollar and the P&L spreadsheet.

I was at an RV show in Anoka, MN a week ago. A Columbus 320RS had a yellow light globe missing and the bulb socket was bent over. We Columbus owners know the retainer nut comes loose during transport and the globe falls off crashing to the floor. Remember, this was a new 320RS and it was at an outdoors RV show. You aren't the only one that has a long wait on parts.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

I just ordered some small parts from Forest River earlier this week and they came yesterday. My dealer told me Forest River is at least 2 weeks behind in parts unless you ship overnight, or 2-3 delivery. So unless you are willing to pay the shipping, you just have to wait.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Almost two months now, overnight shipping requested. On multiple occassions, Kaylan, "parts representative", has promised the repair shop that parts have been shipped, they never were. She has even provided them with invalid tracking/shipping numbers.

After two months of this, I called...guess what, the shop was telling the truth. She did it to me, not delivered and a tracking number that is not valid.

Two weeks I get, not two months. Managment needs to take a good look at this part of their operation.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #6

Try calling Cel Lopez
at 574 821 1487 or email @ clopez@forestriverinc.com. Cel has been very helpful to a lot of us.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
I was at an RV show in Anoka, MN a week ago. A Columbus 320RS had a yellow light globe missing and the bulb socket was bent over. We Columbus owners know the retainer nut comes loose during transport and the globe falls off crashing to the floor. Remember, this was a new 320RS and it was at an outdoors RV show. You aren't the only one that has a long wait on parts.
Or, somebody with a 320RS needed a yellow light globe and didn't want to wait 2 months for it!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmerinwi View Post
Or, somebody with a 320RS needed a yellow light globe and didn't want to wait 2 months for it!

say it ain't so!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

I've heard the same complaint from my FR Dealer...parts dept is aweful for them to work with...

Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Trailer Trash

You think a dealer is going to risk the sale of an RV to fulfill a customer parts order? Remember, this would look like a broken or missing part at a RV trade show. Sorry I don't believe it. Especially when there is all kinds of reports of the retaining nuts vibrating loose during transport and globes falling down and breaking. It got so bad the ceiling fan no longer comes with a light built onto it. Before factory deleted the fan light, they used to ship the fan light globe off the fan and packed in a drawer or the garbage can for dealer to install.

Bottom line is if you need a part and are willing to pay rush shipping you can get some not all parts quick. But if you're not in a rush it takes weeks or months to get the parts.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #11

Requesting parts overnight or expedited is no guarantee. In my case, this request was made by my shop and me, on multiple occasions. Kaylan, the parts coordinator confirmed the requests and even provided fictitious or invalid tracking numbers. This has been ongoing for two months now, the parts were never shipped. This may be as simple as a performance issue of one employee or a result of a bigger factory system/process issue.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #12

We were at the Columbus plant in Middlebury on Monday and Tuesday of this week getting some minor repairs from our recent trip to Alaska. While waiting I was able to observe the 2 young ladies who are responsible for sending out orders. They were extremely busy and seemed to be really conscientious. They send out literally several dozens of parts each day. I also observed Cel the service coordinator. He was constantly getting phone calls and on the run all the time. We received super service and have no complaints. I would guess that issues that some people are having may be more related to those 2 departments being understaffed.
Rogerl1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #13

lgray
it's your fault you should have taken your unit back to the factory and it would be fixed by now maybe. We have a similar issue over items missing when we took delivery (items paid for). Almost two months now, same story "they shipped on the 8th of Aug", "will track the package", "will call you back", "shipped another set", "should be there on Wed".
Being extremely busy is no excuse for deception.
Assemble the phone records / documentation and write a letter to Mr. Buffett.
AnchorsAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #14

lgray
Please post pictures of the damage caused by the blowout.
AnchorsAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #15

Oddly enough, I only took pictures of the tire for the insurance company, showing the 3-4 inch band of missing tread from the Akuret tire. This was the second of two blowouts. It happend at 55-60 MPH, in the exit lane. The tire shrapnel pealed back the sheet metal underneath the driver’s side slide, in both directions. Somehow it flew up behind the rear tire. The forward metal damage was as wide as your fist and about a foot long. The wheel well fender was completely gone.
I got my rig back today and took it straight from the repair shop to the tire store to have the last two Akuret’s replaced with Maxxis. You would be amazed at how thin and flimsy the sidewalls are on the Akuret’s, compared to the Maxxis. I had the luxury of having them both in my hands side-by-side. Akuret’s are time bombs and shame on Columbus for putting this junk on what is otherwise a great fifth wheel.
Bottom line, I picked my rig up today; it has been in the shop since July 8th. The shop was able to complete the repairs in one day. Almost three months, all because of the ineptitude of the parts process and/or staff at the Columbus factory.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #16

lgray, you're right about the weight difference between the Akuret and Maxxis tires. Bought my 320rs, pulled from dealer home , then to tire shop
and had 4 new Maxxis installed. Have put 5,000 miles on them in one year, no problems. Money well spent. Also got tpms.
Banjer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, parts