Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Upgraded from Travel Trailer to Fifth Wheel

Just upgraded (or down graded) from a 2013 Grey Wolf 25RB travel Trailer to a 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS Fifth Wheel trailer. Due to disability issues, I needed something that was easier to hook-up and tow. After doing the research on carrying and towing capacities of my Tow Vehicle, I decide to trade in my travel trailer for a lite weight fifth wheel.

Before any remarks concerning purchasing a Class-A or -C motor home, this, in my opinion, was the cheapest option as I would have had to purchase another vehicle to be towed behind the camper.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #2

Congrats on your 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Retired

Sounds like you did your research thoroughly....

Congrats on the new Puma....

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Sounds like you did your research thoroughly....

Congrats on the new Puma....
I couldn't believe the number of "1/2 Ton Towable Fifth Wheels" that are not feasible. The Towing Capacity GMC Sierra is 9600, with a Gross Vehicle Carrying Rating of 1900 lbs., this includes passengers and cargo. Found one 1/2 ton towable that was under my tow limit (9500 lbs.), but had a hitch weight of 1350 lbs.

I'm single (260 lbs.) with a dog (60 lbs.) as my traveling companion. Average weight of receiver (according to my mechanic) is 200 lbs.
GVCR (1900) - Hitch (1350) - Receiver (200) - Myself (260) - Dog (60) = leeway of 30 lbs.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Rodney & Patty

I know that there are some real heavy fifth wheel receivers out there but for a lighter trailer, a Reese or Curt 15k slider is well under the 200# mark. You could also consider some suspension enhancements to the truck to assist in carrying a little more weight. I never towed a 5er with a 1/2 ton but I see them all the time pulling units bigger than what your talking about. They generally are in the right lane on larger grades but if it get you where your going and it isn't adding expense - run it. Good luck!
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
I couldn't believe the number of "1/2 Ton Towable Fifth Wheels" that are not feasible. The Towing Capacity GMC Sierra is 9600, with a Gross Vehicle Carrying Rating of 1900 lbs., this includes passengers and cargo. Found one 1/2 ton towable that was under my tow limit (9500 lbs.), but had a hitch weight of 1350 lbs.

I'm single (260 lbs.) with a dog (60 lbs.) as my traveling companion. Average weight of receiver (according to my mechanic) is 200 lbs.
GVCR (1900) - Hitch (1350) - Receiver (200) - Myself (260) - Dog (60) = leeway of 30 lbs.
I hear what you're saying.... My last trailer had the claim of being "3/4 ton towable" which it was if I never put anything in it. My previous truck a 2010 2500HD only had a 2,000 pound capacity. The truck towed it well but I was over on the GVWR by over 1,000 pounds. For the peace of mind I upgraded to the dually and have since upgraded (IMO) to the Sabre.

rdenslow makes some good points...

My old 16K Reese Slider wasn't 200 pounds so if you haven't purchased the hitch check out some of the others.

Adding airbags doesn't do a thing for capacity but they do help with stability and keep the rear from sagging too. I had them on my 3/4 ton where they did make a noticeable difference.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

We upgraded from a V-lite (Towable) to a Sierra (5th wheel) last year and we love it. I am the only driver and the 5th wheel pulls so much better that the towable did. The 5th wheel is so much quicker and easier to setup and take down than the towable that I find it general only takes me 15 to 20 minutes to be ready to pull out once I start getting the trailer ready. We also looked at A class and C class RV's but they were just too expensive for what we wanted in our camper. We are both retired and plan to spend a lot of time camping and travelling.

so Congratulation on switching to a 5th wheel.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
Rodney & Patty

Reading Dakota's post it makes me recollect older times. When my wife and I started camping, before kids, the small tent was up and camp was set for the week within a few minutes. Then came the kids and the big cabin tent and all of the extra camp things - set up stretched out to near 2 hours. The addition of a pop-up made set up faster but tear down still took forever and if it was rainy, it all had to be put back up and aired out/dried once home. The next 10 years was TTs - set up and tear down was still a good hour each way but we could keep the galley stocked for the entire summer as well as our camp clothes. Towing, especially on the highway, was always interesting. The sway on bridges still makes me cringe thinking back... The first 5th wheel was like OMG! No swaying, easy tow - nearly tracked in the truck's treads. Power jacks and slides made set up so fast...15-20 minutes. The new 5er is bigger but expecting the same (pick her up soon). We camp a week every month all season long so we stock our camper galley in the spring and restock as needed just like we do our house and the same with our camping and hiking goods. Any day from the 1st of May on we are set to hook up and go. Fifth-wheel set-up is really not a factor... assuming the sites are more or less level and you can back-up a trailer.
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Congrats on your Puma, we have had two Puma 5th wheels & both have been great trailers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Congrats on your Puma, we have had two Puma 5th wheels & both have been great trailers.

Hey Oaklevel it's good to hear that you have liked you're Pumas. We have a puma 298fqu on order which is ther smallest toyhauler. We're upgrading from a greywolf 21rr. This is our first 5th wheel, going with the pullrite superglide, hopefully we can get it all setup right.
columbus 298RL
2019 Ford F-350 6.7
PineRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Moving day.

Well, Completed cleaning out and packing all the items from my travel trailer. Picking up the "New to me" Puma Fifth wheel tomorrow morning and didn't want to move everything from one trailer to the next. Hope this is my last move. (yea Right).
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
Retired Army MSG!

We love our Puma 253fbs. Bought new 2 years ago and have had many enjoyable days with minimal problems. The few minor issues we had in the beginning were taken care of quickly under warranty. Have looked at larger more expensive units but we enjoy state parks and larger units are difficult to park in some of our favorite places. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours. A lot of storage in this model.also.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #13

When we were looking for the step up from the PU we considered TT and FW. We eventually settled on the TT due to towing concerns (Ram 1500) and the loss of the truck bed. We use the bed all the time. How do you guys get along without the bed space?

There was no way I wasn't going to have an electric tongue jack. I spent WAY too much time first cranking up the tongue of the PU, then cranking up the roof! I also really wanted electric stabilizing jacks but the used unit we bought doesn't have them and to add is something like $300 each if I do it myself.

The only thing I really think is a hassle is the WDH. It's not hard but a real pain. If my wife isn't helping then I have to go all the way around the truck to get to the other side, then back again, and again..... Hopefully as I get better at it it won't be as big a deal.

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, upgrade, wheel