Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Not-so-Junior Member

Waiting on Columbus

We are proud and anxious, soon-to-be new owners of a Columbus 295RL.
I am wondering if any new Columbus owners could tell me how long that it is taking from the time of order until the unit rolls off the factory line. (Not including delivery to the dealer.)
We ordered ours in December at RV Supercenter in Temecula with the promise of end of January delivery, the factory backed that up with a January 23rd completion date. That was great since it would allow 7 days for it to go across the country to California.
Well a week has passed since the completion date and we can't get any word except the 'factory is running behind' which is vague.
I say anxious since we have pre-paid, non-refundable spots to go camping next week on Feb. 8th but we don't have a rig and can't find out when it's going to be completed and delivered.
If new Columbus owners can give us an idea of how long the manufacturing process is currently taking it would help us plan accordingly...
Thanks - Bill

1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

Hi VenturaBill
Congrats on your new Columbus, it took 5 weeks from order to get to dealer but we are in Ga. I would think the weather would play a part coming to California. Do you have the vin# yet?? if so you can call and check and see if it has been built yet.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Not-so-Junior Member

Thanks HD Rider-
I don't have a VIN or a number to call...
I will try to obtain the VIN today. Where can I find a phone number to call, I've searched the Palomino website...?
Appreciate the help! Thanks - Bill
1952 Blonde Nurse
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
It took us six weeks from order to delivery to the dealer...a week for make-ready and then the pickup/PDI the next weekend.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Not-so-Junior Member

Thanks... we're at almost 7 weeks now and it still has to travel to California and be prepped etc. I'm still hoping that we can pick it up by Feb. 7th, otherwise we're out $80 in camp fees...
Anyway, I called the dealer today and they have no updates for me.
Thanks again - Bill
1952 Blonde Nurse
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

Congrats on the Purchase! Mine was on a dealers lot already when I found it last week so I was lucky from what everyone is saying. I did learn that there was another dealer not far from me that was going to be carrying the Columbus line along with the dealer I purchased from. Both said they were expecting another shipment within the next couple of weeks. These things are selling like hotcakes.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Not-so-Junior Member

Well there's not many dealers yet in California. The closest to our home in Ventura is 150 miles and the next closest is 290 miles! We did shop them both to try and buy on the spot, but you are right that they're selling fast so essentially there wasn't much to choose from. We ended up ordering, which is good since we added some options that we hadn't even seen on the lots or RV show. So we wait...
1952 Blonde Nurse
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

I feel your pain, same story CC Sliverback 29 RE, offline at the factory, waiting for a driver to haul it to AZ. I also heard weather has been a factor....

We too have pre-paid camping for 2/8 weekend...waiting is the hard part!! Good Luck, hope you hear some good news!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

Hi Bill!

We oredered ours from RV SuperCenter also. We ordered it at the RV show at LA fair Grounds on Oct 22 2012. It arrived at the dealer on Nov 28 2012, we did the PDI on Dec 6 and got it delivered 3 days later. RV Supercenter was NOT good about keeping in contact with us with any updates. We kinda let that slide because we saw how many unitsa they sold and I think it caught them off guard!! Dustin the service Manager is great and Alex the head service tech is also really nice. We took over 4 hrs to do our PDI. I e/m a copy of the PDI list we would be using and they seemed to have it pretty nailed down when we got there. There have been a couple of things that they have come to us to fix or change out.They were:

-Fender skirts had a screw over tightened on BOTH sides. They ordered new ones and switched out from another unit that was on the lot.
-There was a area on the roof membrane that was not stretched tight right near the front cap on double slide side. They repaired that easily.
-small carpet bunched up near the slide. Easily fixed.
-there was no moulding behind the toilet at the floor. fixed easliy
-The manual roll out shear pin broke when the slide was being opened manually. make sure you check that as the factory had not aligned the access right so glad we found that!!
-We aklso have a leak at our black tank flush filler connection that they will fix next time they are in the area.
The only other thing is the fake tile stuff behind the sink was not applied correctly. Not a big deal, not sure if I am going to do anything about it or not yet...

Make sure you send in your extra year factory warranty paperwork if you want that! We sure did!!

As far as updates, just call when you cant stand it anymore. Like i said, we never got a call from them. We initiated all contact.
Let me know if there is anything else I might be bale to help with!! Congrats and good luck!!!!

Kerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Not-so-Junior Member

Thanks Kerry- I appreciate the in depth input. We are are both on the Facebook page and I see your post there:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/379970242092901/

I have been calling the dealership daily as I know they don't communicate well, and I will continue to do so.
I took the advice of 'hd riders' and have requested a VIN so I can call customer service at Columbus. Hopefully they will be able to tell me something.
I just need to know the status so we can plan around the delivery. We were going to trade in our Cougar which would have meant that we would have a trailer in the meantime, but I was able to sell it outright for $3,500 more than the trade in value that they quoted us.
Being without an RV is a terrible experience when you get used to one. We have missed a campout at the beach in January and might possibly miss this February campout at a local park. It surely must arrive by March because we have a week in Death Valley and a few days at Refugio State Beach planned. (We camp year round!)

1952 Blonde Nurse

Tags
columbus 295, delay, factory, schedule