Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Always Learning

Warranty fixes, likely going back to the factory (36QBOK)

Before our last trip, we dropped the camper off at the dealership with a punch-list of about 20 items. They fixed a few, documented most and entered it "into the warranty system". I just dropped it off today for them to wrap-up the rest of the issues before my 1-year warranty is up (I didn't learn about the 2nd year until it was too late ). The dealership says that my camper is likely going back to the factory for issues with one of my slides. Bigger .

----

1) Driver side slide in the bunkhouse pauses as it extended; looking from underneath, the black under layer appears to be torn from it
* This is the most worrisome. The slide literally has gotten worse on each trip since my mid-April trip. The underside of the slide is being torn up where a roller is. The dealer says that the slide needs to be pulled out to be checked out and fixed and that's beyond their capabilities. They said to prepare for the idea of the camper going back to the factory. My bigger annoyance is that the dealer tried to tell me this was normal. And then told me that Palomino/Sabre said that they aren't using Schwintek slides anymore due to problems (like that was supposed to make it better/explain it). Fortunately, one of his techs argued for me.

2) Passenger side wheel skirt/fender is deformed (on the original punch-list when picking up the camper)
* This is problematic for the local dealer as the wheel skirt/fender is painted and the dealership doesn't have any ability to handle paint issues. If the camper goes back to the factory due to above- I really expect this to be fixed.

3) Driver side wheel skirt/fender has paint lifting near the caulk
* They said that Forest River would likely deny this. My issue is that they painted *over* caulk and cracking/peeling is likely to be an issue. I'm not sure what I want them to do here- but I'm not happy that the paint is lifting/chipping. If the camper goes back to the factory due to above- I really expect this to be fixed.

4) Dot of glue on the table needs to be removed (on the original punch-list when picking up the camper)
* Likely needs to be just scrapped off with a razor (but I want them to do it can be their problem if they scratch the table up).

5) Microwave door doesn’t close unless you push the top-right corner (too tall for my daughter to reach)
* Fixed: they say that they shimmed the microwave and this should be fixed.

6) In the outside kitchen, the door for the slide-out tray for the cooktop doesn’t stay latched and opens during travel
* I saw that the snap-strap to hold it back is too long and allows the cooktop to slide against the door. Had I realized this before, I likely would have fixed it. But it's in their hands now.

7) Both handles for the shower door have fallen off (that hold the 3 panes of glass)

8) Under the passenger side wheel skirt/fender, there is a piece of metal sticking down
* This was another one where they tried to say it was "normal" and that there's metal there to hold the wheel skirt/fender out. I don't care, it shouldn't stick down!

9) Driver side front storage hatch’s gasket has shifted and appears to need to be glued in place

10) Slam latches for the front storage area do not latch well. All can be opened with a strong tug. I’m concerned that they’ll open during travel (it happened with our outdoor kitchen and we lost a grill tools set)
* Partially fixed: the tech said that he put shims under them. When he and I tested them later, 3 of the 6 latches were fixed but 3 weren't.

11) Left side kitchen sink doesn’t hold water when the drain-thing is pushed closed (right-side does)

12) In the master bedroom’s dresser, the top-right drawer doesn’t close properly

13) Each entry door is difficult to close without slamming; the ½ bath door is significantly harder (to the point my daughter has issues closing it)

14) On the front entry door, the screen door sticks at the bottom corner when opening it

15) Can anything be done about the 4 kitchen drawers opening during travel?

16) Passenger side bunkhouse slide has a drawer that the bottom appears to be falling out.

17) There appears to be a bubble on the exterior rear of the camper; it’s subtle and can be hard to see, but it’s there – I’d like to find out what it is and if it’ll cause issues later.
* They said that this was normal. It's small and hard to see.

18) There appears to be a seam or impression on the interior wall between the kitchen/dinette area and the bunkhouse. I don't think it was always there and want to make sure it's not a sign of something more sinister.
* The tech said that he sees what I'm talking about but checked the wall by pushing on different areas and it doesn't appear to be anything loose. The service manager said this was normal "settling".

20) Landing gear seems to pop and groan while raising the camper off of the truck (once it's carrying the weight). At times it almost sounds like the crank is slipping. Not sure if this is normal or if it's something to look into.
* This was a classic. The tech came out to drop off the truck in their storage lot and *OF COURSE* the dang thing didn't sound like it normally does!

21) The A/C in the front bedroom is extremely loud; the TV needs to turned up almost the whole way to hear it and it’s waken us up a time or two when it kicks on overnight
* They said that this was normal and it was because A/Cs are loud and it was a small room. I don't know- it's obnoxiously loud.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

All you question and complaints to get repaired> I can answer # 20 and 21. The bar that go's across, is out of alignment I had the same thing happen, but it will mone and groan as you left and sounds like you are skipping a gear on the unit that is normal. Center drop units are just plain loud, you might be able to add some insulation the 1/8" metal back which might help but they are just loud. Glue it in all around on the inside. That could help stop the echo. The rest should be repaired. If you are taking about the black Teflon strip about 3" wide that is caused by the staples they use, had that problem to. If they want to send it back to FR you are lucky, Just have them do it in the winter when you are not using it. With all those problems, it still sounds that you can make it through the season and enjoy it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Always Learning

I'd have no problem using it for the rest of the season - so long as we can keep guiding the slide in and out. Each trip was a bit of a gamble, wondering if it would go in or out. My only concern is if they'll wait for winter to take it back as my 1-year is up this month.

For #21 - our A/C is vented into the duct work. But still crappily loud.

What are you referring to with, "If you are taking about the black Teflon strip about 3" wide that is caused by the staples they use, had that problem to." (i.e. which of my items above- I can speak to it. Just need some help.)
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Always Learning

I've also tried to be reasonable in my list of warranty fix requests. I've taken care of a handful of stuff on my own this past almost-year. I tried to not be too nitpicky on things.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

#6: we added an extra roller clamp to cooktop cabinet drawer. Also shortened plastic strap and moved where it was secured to further back under cooktop

#15: also have kitchen drawer problems. We tie the handles together with rope when were traveling. Sometimes they stay shut, sometimes they all open!

These are on our 34TBOK
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

#17 Bubble on the outside. This is NOT normal, it's an indication of possible delamination. If it is going back to Sabre, demand that this be corrected; possibly by replacing the wall. If it is not addressed, it will get worse. I believe there is a 2 year warranty on the wall construction.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
#6: we added an extra roller clamp to cooktop cabinet drawer. Also shortened plastic strap and moved where it was secured to further back under cooktop
What is a "roller clamp"? (Off to Google I go... and failed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
#15: also have kitchen drawer problems. We tie the handles together with rope when were traveling. Sometimes they stay shut, sometimes they all open!

These are on our 34TBOK
We use Velcro OneWrap to the same result now. I've even started a second loop to another drawer to try and hold them together. I only ask because coming back from Florida, up I-95, last December shock a drawer open that held our pots and pans to the point that it twisted the (very unimpressive installation) mount. I'd rather not have to fix 4 more drawers sometime.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
#17 Bubble on the outside. This is NOT normal, it's an indication of possible delamination. If it is going back to Sabre, demand that this be corrected; possibly by replacing the wall. If it is not addressed, it will get worse. I believe there is a 2 year warranty on the wall construction.
That was my feeling, but it's very minor and the Service Manager at the dealership claimed it was "normal". He says it only really shows up because it's in the painted portion - if it were on white, I'd have never seen it.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #9

Roller clamp is the same type of latch that is on the cooktop cabinet drawer. We just added one to the other side for more support.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Always Learning

Thanks, I'll have to take a look when I get it back and see about adding one if it keeps shifting around on us.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
MI Camperz

Sorry to hear, but hope you get your rig back in tip top shape very soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

Have you reached out to sabre Sam for his help?? Hope your issues get resolved.
rookiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Always Learning

I had reached out to him hoping to find a service center closer than my dealer (2nd closest dealer to me at 140 miles away). Unfortunately, his recommendation was going back to my selling dealer (I was just trying to save time/money).

But, I haven't reached out to him with this latest news that a factory trip is in my future.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #14

Can you push on the bubble as describe in item #17 and does it feel soft or mushy?
Or tap on it and the surrounding area; does it sound hollow or solid?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Always Learning

I think I pushed and it was hard. Been a while since I poked at it. And, they have the camper now.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Before our last trip, we dropped the camper off at the dealership with a punch-list of about 20 items. They fixed a few, documented most and entered it "into the warranty system". I just dropped it off today for them to wrap-up the rest of the issues before my 1-year warranty is up (I didn't learn about the 2nd year until it was too late ). The dealership says that my camper is likely going back to the factory for issues with one of my slides. Bigger .
How much later did you learn about the 2nd year warranty? I didn't find out about it right away either but was able to add it on around the 9th month but then maybe I was just lucky since FR said "No" the first time I called.

Hopefully everything will be taken care of right away.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

How much later did you learn about the 2nd year warranty? I didn't find out about it right away either but was able to add it on around the 9th month but then maybe I was just lucky since FR said "No" the first time I called.

Hopefully everything will be taken care of right away.
It was a while- I asked and they said it was too late. :-(
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Always Learning

So it's official- the dealer will do the warranty stuff that they can, I'll get the camper back and then use it in August. When we're home after Labor Day, Sabre will send a driver to my house to pickup my empty camper to take her back to the factory to fix the slide issue, the peeling paint and dented fender. He said they'll look at everything- I hope that includes looking at the wall between the living room and bunkhouse.

Since it is going - I asked about paying for upgrades to get a central vac and TrailAir/TriGlide pin box.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #19

I'm sure they will do what you want to pay for, but really your lucky that it is going to be fixed at the factory, I'm sure you will be happy at the end. You should also have them add a auto leveling system at the same time.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Always Learning

I'm actually not un-happy. I appreciate that the dealer stepped up and contacted Sabre and I'm happy that Sabre is accepting it back and has agreed to wait for me to get this last trip under my belt. I'm holding out hope we'll have it back in time for October to do some camping then and into November if it's warm enough.

Now, the big question- do I go out to Indiana when it's done to inspect it? Of just trust them?