Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Phat Phrog

Great name...Earth Station!! Love it!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
My 320 RS was built, early this year, 2013 model year (March). The factory began to add the brackets for the JT’s in July, 2012. This allows for a very easy, simple install, requiring far less labor/cost. The warranty representative has agreed to pay for the labor (only) to install the JT’s for a member of this Forum, that like mine does not have the brackets. My request for the same was refused. That creates a consistency issue and penalty for those of us who purchased early.
I don't know the circumstances behind who covered what, installs, but it is the nature of the beast on RV's for running changes throughout the year. More than likely the dealer is doing it for them as a goodwill gesture.

Other than giving a book value, you really wouldn't even need a model year, as they never really dictate what is in the unit.

New products become available, things change, engineers redesign, etc...

Doesn't always make a whole lot of sense, but it happens in this industry.

Running model changes are the norm here.....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #23
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Nope!. The AC fan has one speed. Then when the compressor for pumping refrigerant kicks in, it gets even louder.

If it's not too hot at nite, I can shut off the AC and bring the remote for the fantastic fan into the bedroom. The remote works that long of distance. I open the two windows by the bed. The fantastic fan sucks out so much air volume that a nice steady breeze blows past my head. The remote makes it easy to adjust temp/fan speed without getting out of bed.
First and foremost (and sticking to the topic) - I have had NOTHING BUT GREAT COMMUNICATION with the Factory folks and with my dealer (FunTown RV in Cleburne, Texas). We have had every issue addressed promptly and resolved in a timely and professional manner - including a follow-up call from the President (I believe Mr. Ramey's title is President) to make sure we had been taken care of.

Now concerning the quote above...I got my Columbus in March and perhaps something has changed my A/C fan has multiple speeds (lo, medium, high) - and we've camped in 105+ degree temperatures where the overnight low didn't get below 88 and we have always slept very cool by turning off the bedroom A/C at night and using only the ducted living room A/C.

Like EarthStation - did I mention that we ABSOLUTELY LOVE our Columbus 320RS - and appreciate the dedication to "get it right" from the dealer and factory?

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #24
Trailer Trash

I don't have the bedroom AC. Maybe that one has variable speed fan. The one I have in the living room I never noticed different fan speeds. The fan is either on or off and the compressor cycles on and off. I found the entire camper cools down if you leave the living room AC vent closed so air flows through the little round ducts in the ceiling. When it's 95+ I say too hot and open the vent so AC blows straight down into living room. Then around supper time, close the vent and in a few hours, the bathroom and bedroom cool down. If it get lower than 75 at nite, I shut off AC and use fantastic fan.

My 320RS is only 3 months old. Bought it end of June and used it through end of Sept. Still has styrofoam blowing out of vents. Can't wait till RV show in Mpls during winter to check out comparable models again. Columbus was best bang for the buck last year, and I'm sure I will find that to be true again this year.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #25

JTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
My 320 RS was built, early this year, 2013 model year (March). The factory began to add the brackets for the JT’s in July, 2012. This allows for a very easy, simple install, requiring far less labor/cost. The warranty representative has agreed to pay for the labor (only) to install the JT’s for a member of this Forum, that like mine does not have the brackets. My request for the same was refused. That creates a consistency issue and penalty for those of us who purchased early.
Igray-
I feel like I should know what "JTs" are, but I don't. What does that refer to?
Thanks
Mark
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #26

"JT'S" are JT Strong Arm Stabilizers. They are telescoping rods mounted between the trailer frame and landing gear. They help stabilize the trailer to reduce the bouncing or movement that occurs.
Here's their website:
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek

Go look up Trilogy. A $90K fith wheel.
Trilogy 5th wheel
Now granted this is a hell of a sweet rig. But is it twice as nice for the price compared to Columbus rigs?????? NO WAY!
I was at the dealer the other day for service and my Columbus was the rig of choice by buyers looking after I showed them mine. The Customer Service by the factory has been nothing but outstanding. That is a sign of a company that is going forward in the competitive world of RV's.
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #28

I have owned mine for 11 weeks. I haven't seen it in 8 weeks. The manufacturer has it now but there hasn't been much communication. They seem to be "trying" but it doesn't get my unit back to me. I want it done right but I have never been so un-interested in camping in my life. I think Columbus has ruined it for me.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #29

Chris Columbus-
When did the factory start building the Columbus models with the JT brackets installed? Was it prior to this July or close thereto?
Thanks
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #30

Follow Up Factory Issue #1

I have read the posts related to the beginning of this thread, but more importantly, my update under Factory Issue #1. While I agree with most of the points raised, my bigger concern is consistency of authorizations /reimbursement. If you are going to pay for a retro-fit labor request, for one owner, they should be doing the same on identical requests.
I don't think this would have happend under Bryan Ranall's watch.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #31
Columbus 302 rs

Our unit was built in mid August and came with the brackets.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
Factory Rep

If there was any free retro fit for the brackets it had to be related to some other issue. There have been No free retro fits that I can find .

Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #33
Trailer Trash

JT strong arm brackets are an OPTION from factory. They are not standard build with Columbus model line. Look at page 11 of 2013 Columbus brochure. Right hand column. Strong Arm Stabilizers are listed as on option.

Dealers may add them or order from factory with them installed. This is a dealer level item not a factory giveaway, retrofit, etc.

2013 brochure and floorplan flyer......download it here.
Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #34

Joelek,

All caps in an e-mail denotes shouting. If you are shouting, know what you are shouting about. I don't think anyone has questioned the JT's being an option. The issue has to do with the brakets and what was an option at the time.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #35
Trailer Trash

This thread is about a style of bracket used on an option?
Billy got a better bracket than me.
C'mon man. That's total injustice!

For the guys and gals that run this board, thanks for providing us with hours and hours of information and entertainment. What a GREAT way to goof off while at work.