Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Transporter
Angry Was preparing for new arrival of our Columbus 320RS

Just a little note for all to read about our New 2012 Columbus 320RS

My wife and I were patently waiting for our new 320RS Columbus 2012 that we ordered in January. While it was en-route from the Manufacture, the driver drove through a Hail storm which cause major damage to the unit we were waiting on. We were to pick our new unit up on 8 March. Once it arrived at the Dealer, they saw the damage and called my wife and informed her that the unit was there and was damaged in a hail storm. They told her they could fix it and at the same time they would give us a major major discount. She in-fanatically refused to pay the amount of money for a damaged unit and we haven't even used it.. We ordered a unit from the factory and expected to have a brand new unused and undamaged unit. With that said, the dealer called the factory and put in a new ordered for what we wanted and now again we have to wait another 4 to 5 more weeks for our unit.. We are extremely upset with this situation and with the Driver who drove this unit through a Hail storm.. Just does not make any sense. They should have seen the weather prior to leaving the factory and waited one more day to deliver our unit. So, the wait begins again and we will be very very impatiently waiting again.
New arrival date is somewhere around the 31st of March. WE ARE NOT HAPPY with this...

Jeff and Felicia
"HIGGINS EARTH STATION"
Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #2

Riding motorcycles for 20 plus years let me tell you that hail storms can pop up unexpectdedly. Just sayin.......
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

I am sorry to hear that but nobody can predict a hail storm. They are no different than any other mfg, when a product is complete you ship it and invoice it. Manufacturers don't like to leave cash sitting on the lot and are not planning natural disasters. Big storms and tornadoes also went thru Indiana, so no guarantee it wouldn't have been damaged sitting on the lot. That said, I would have been disappointed as well, waiting patiently like a kid on Xmas and nothing delivered!
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

I understand that. I was a rider as well. But, you knew what there weather was going to be. Further, The storm was on the News and it was coming right at them. I do understand.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about the hail damage to your 'new' Columbus. Hopefully the factory can put you on some sort of priority list and get another unit built for you ASAP. Just a thought, I'd get the vin # from the damaged unit so you can compare it to the new unit. That way you can make sure they just didn't repair the damaged one.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

They are going to put our unit on as soon as possible. They said it would be the first Columbus on the line. I do have the VIN number already because I was going to get my insurance set up on the day before we picked it up. I just hope it goes quicker this time. Not sure though.. Just back to waiting for our new unit again.. We do have reservations for the first weekend in April.. So, I hope it is here before then.. I would hate to cancel our weekend..
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

The custom haulers don't make any money sitting idle waiting for what "might" happen.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
The custom haulers don't make any money sitting idle waiting for what "might" happen.
"If their not turning, your not earning"
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

I'm currious how the RV transport biz works. I'm imagining something like the cabs lining up at airports or big hotels waiting their turn for the next "fare". Or is it more organized tan that??
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

I am thinking of all of those years driving in the rain & then all of a sudden it would be hailing - Transporter I must ask if the driver was in route what could he have done. Yes, you have reason to be disappointed that damage was done but be thankful the dealer & FR are working with you to get what you ordered. As you said they offered to repair it & give you a good discount - that wasn't what you wanted but somebody is going to get a good deal!

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #11

The world aint going to stop because of bad weather and the chance of hail, if it did the whole of the mid west would close down for three months every year

How much is major discount? 50%? I would have gone with that thank you very much, new airco cowls, rubber roof, end cap replaced, they probably did not offer that, but I would have suggested it!

We collected from RVW in April last year, survived a tornado and flooding in the first week of hauling back to BC, no hail though.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
"On the road again"

Our unit was able to sneak through between the snow and hail in the midwest, thankfully and arrive in North Texas unscathed. We were very concerned when we heard about the storms up there. But believe me...we've been over every inch of our Columbus and it's just fine...beautiful!!!
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #13

It would have been very difficult to predict a hail storm. Thunderstorms yes, but hail can come out of nowhere when you least expect it. I'm sorry your unit was damaged, and I'm sorry you have to wait a bit longer. But this is just a little speed bump in the road. There will be many of those speed bumps along the way. How you choose to deal with them will be the difference between being a happy camper, or a disgruntled camper. I choose "happy."
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #14

Thumbs up

I am glad your Columbus made to you intack. We are looking forward to ours getting here. It goes on Line on the 13th and hopefully we get it shortly there after. The dealer had to return the unit because they were unable to repair the damage that was done. I guess it was worse off than they expected. Well, I am glad you got your unit. It was a bad storm and some made it out before it really hit hard. Enjoy your unit and maybe someday we will cross paths out on the road somewhere.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Id have taken the discounted fixed up unit. We ordered 18,000 dollars worth of kitchen cabinets for our house and waited 8 weeks for them to be made. When they showed up there was three damaged and they were the wrong color my dwarf was furious.
Another 8 weeks for new ones or they come and fix what we had and except the color difference and pay 9,000 . Hmmm no brainer. Cabinets still look great and function as they should no issues 5 years later.

Sorry it happened to you I guess they didn't discount it enough for you to take the damaged but fixed back up unit. Did you even go look at it? How bad was the damage?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #16

Jeff,
Sorry about the news, man you must be bummed.
My 320RS is suppose to come off line tomorrow, I hope the weather isn't a factor during delivery.
After waiting 6 weeks, I know you and the wife must be really frustrated. Hang in there because when you drive out of the dealer with a new Columbus in tow, heading to your favorite campground, you'll look back on this and laugh. Well, maybe not laugh, but it's a good story to tell around the campfire, eh?
Best of luck.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs