Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #1

Water Filter

My new Sabre FW came with a water filter installed and after winterizing I'm now thinking of taking it out. Has anyone taken their water filter out and how did you do that? The filter was clean after 5 trips and just can't see that it is of much use to me.
heagle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

You can just use a 1/2" pvc pipe nipple (4-6" long sould do it) between the inlet and outet hoses.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by heagle52 View Post
My new Sabre FW came with a water filter installed and after winterizing I'm now thinking of taking it out. Has anyone taken their water filter out and how did you do that? The filter was clean after 5 trips and just can't see that it is of much use to me.

You should have received a large wrench that fits over the water filter cannister. That wrench is used to remove the water filter cannister that holds the water filter element.

To remove the element, relieve all the water system pressure by opening a faucet first. Then hold the bracket that the cannister is screwed into with one hand hand and using the wrench, turn the wrench to the left as you are facing it and turn. That should loosen the cannister and enable you to remove both it and the element in it.

You may encounter some resistance when loosing the cannister, but it should loosen after some attempts. There is a "O" ring in the cannister that must be either replaced or reinstalled when reinstalling the new element and cannister to prevent leaks.

IMO I suggest that you always have an element installed when using the City Water connection at the CG.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

I completely removed mine. Just bypassed it like stated above, with a piece of water line and a couple fittings. I use an inline one on the hose, does the same thing and is much easier to deal with.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
I completely removed mine. Just bypassed it like stated above, with a piece of water line and a couple fittings. I use an inline one on the hose, does the same thing and is much easier to deal with.
Of course it is up to each person to decide whether to remove the filter or not. But after seeing all the junk that mine collects from using various CG City Water connections, I wouldn't be without some sort of water filter and that is knowing that not all of the junk is collected by them.

If you elect to go without a water filter, do you also not use an anode rod in your water heater?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

Of course it is up to each person to decide whether to remove the filter or not. But after seeing all the junk that mine collects from using various CG City Water connections, I wouldn't be without some sort of water filter and that is knowing that not all of the junk is collected by them.

If you elect to go without a water filter, do you also not use an anode rod in your water heater?
I do use a filter, I stated in my post that I use an inline filter that goes on the hose, they serve the exact same purpose but are much easier to deal with. Yes I do use an Anode Rod. I agree with you that some form of filter should be used. I'm thankful that I have the means to carry all my water from home.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

I found that as the season progressed, my water pressure got worse, probably due to plugging of the filter element. I will still use a filter, although I might use a slightly more porous one. Additionally, we have a Brita filter on the kitchen tap for that extra little bit of filtration. My problem was with the taste of water at different campgrounds, the Brita takes care of that problem......
Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #8

All you need to do is remove the filter housing - more than likely your existing lines have enough slack in them that a 1/2 inch pipe coupler is all you need. The fittings that screw into the housing has the same pipe threads as the coupler.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
I do use a filter, I stated in my post that I use an inline filter that goes on the hose, they serve the exact same purpose but are much easier to deal with. Yes I do use an Anode Rod. I agree with you that some firm of filter should be used. I'm thankful that I have the means to carry all my water from home.
Yes you did state that - I should have addressed my reply to MotoCross Camper (Post #4).
Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
camping

do you need to remove the housing or just take out the filter? we did a quick trip over the holiday and I had to dewinterize. I didn't want to put in a new filter for a few days so I left the filter out and everything worked just like it did with a filter. I would try that first.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #11

Is it necessary to remove the filter if the camper will not be used for a couple of weeks.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuertz View Post
Is it necessary to remove the filter if the camper will not be used for a couple of weeks.
Not unless you gonna get freezing temps, otherwise it can stay in.