Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gravelbourg, SK
Posts: 39
Water Filter and Winterizing

On my new Sabre 34TBOK which is being delivered tomorrow it has a water filter which my 2008 Crossroads Cruiser did not have. My dealer told me in winter to remove the filter and install a line in place and then do the winterizing. Does anybody else do this? They told me that if I fill the filter with RV Antifreeze I run the risk of cracking the housing. What are your experiences?
__________________

__________________
2013 Ram 2500 SLT 4 x 4 c/w 5.7L & 4.10 - 6spd Auto
2013 Palomino Sabre 34TBOK-6
2014 GMC Sierra SLE 4 x 4 c/w 5.3L - 6 spd Auto
2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2012 Honda CBR250
iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman31
On my new Sabre 34TBOK which is being delivered tomorrow it has a water filter which my 2008 Crossroads Cruiser did not have. My dealer told me in winter to remove the filter and install a line in place and then do the winterizing. Does anybody else do this? They told me that if I fill the filter with RV Antifreeze I run the risk of cracking the housing. What are your experiences?
On my sabre I remove filter and drain water then fill canister back up with antifreeze since I installed a winterization kit that uses the pump to draw in antifreeze from the jug.
__________________

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman31 View Post
On my new Sabre 34TBOK which is being delivered tomorrow it has a water filter which my 2008 Crossroads Cruiser did not have. My dealer told me in winter to remove the filter and install a line in place and then do the winterizing. Does anybody else do this? They told me that if I fill the filter with RV Antifreeze I run the risk of cracking the housing. What are your experiences?
I don't have a Sabre, but on my previous Wildcats I removed the filter and then when I pumped antifreeze back into the lines I allowed the canister to fill with antifreeze. I've been doing this for 8 years. This is the procedure I will use on my Silverback this year too. I have no clue why the dealer would tell you the canister could crack if it is filled with antifreeze, unless you live in a climate where antifreeze will actually freeze. Like I said, I don't have a Sabre but it sounds to me like you have a dealer that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman

I don't have a Sabre, but on my previous Wildcats I removed the filter and then when I pumped antifreeze back into the lines I allowed the canister to fill with antifreeze. I've been doing this for 8 years. This is the procedure I will use on my Silverback this year too. I have no clue why the dealer would tell you the canister could crack if it is filled with antifreeze. Like I said, I don't have a Sabre but it sounds to me like you have a dealer that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Steve Jackson
 
sideout1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Holyoke, Ma
Posts: 381
Seeing as we are talking about winterizing, what procedure do you all use for the freshwater tank? I haven't used my tank since I bought the trailer in March. I have only camped in full hookup sites. Which leads me to another question is there something I should be doing to this tank if I don't use it?
__________________
2011 Dodge Ram 5.7 HEMI
2011 Flagstaff Classic 29bhss
sideout1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961
Seeing as we are talking about winterizing, what procedure do you all use for the freshwater tank? I haven't used my tank since I bought the trailer in March. I have only camped in full hookup sites. Which leads me to another question is there something I should be doing to this tank if I don't use it?
Just drain it unless there's no water in it then do nothing.
Verify that it's truly empty by leaving draIn valve open on next outing
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I don't have a Sabre, but on my previous Wildcats I removed the filter and then when I pumped antifreeze back into the lines I allowed the canister to fill with antifreeze. I've been doing this for 8 years. This is the procedure I will use on my Silverback this year too. I have no clue why the dealer would tell you the canister could crack if it is filled with antifreeze, unless you live in a climate where antifreeze will actually freeze. Like I said, I don't have a Sabre but it sounds to me like you have a dealer that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
This is our first camper with an on board water filter. We don't use it (no filter in the canister) because we have an exterior inline filter. So then you just leave the antifreeze in the canister all winter? I assume the antifreeze will get flushed out of the canister in the spring when you hook up the water again.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Road-King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
This is our first camper with an on board water filter. We don't use it (no filter in the canister) because we have an exterior inline filter.
Just like you we do not use our on board filter ether. I am planning on by passing the filter housing when I winterize and never look back. It is a PITA to get to on our TT.
__________________
Russ & Kim
2014 Alpine 3600RS
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,911
Remove the canister,remove the filter element,place a plastic soda(pop) bottle with cap on inside where the element was,this does (2) things, displaces anti-freeze that will be pumped into the cannister,and allows for expansion from freezing. Cost-O$ Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
This is our first camper with an on board water filter. We don't use it (no filter in the canister) because we have an exterior inline filter. So then you just leave the antifreeze in the canister all winter? I assume the antifreeze will get flushed out of the canister in the spring when you hook up the water again.
In the spring after I have flushed the antifreeze out the lines thoroughly, I turn the water off, remove the filter housing and empty it, put in a fresh water filter for the season, and then turn the water back on.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman

In the spring after I have flushed the antifreeze out the lines thoroughly, I turn the water off, remove the filter housing and empty it, put in a fresh water filter for the season, and then turn the water back on.
Yep !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ret2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 364
I will take my filter out and put the canister back on. I didn't want to waste pink stuff so I made a by-pass using two of the water heater bypass kits valves.

__________________
2014 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA-7
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Remove the canister,remove the filter element,place a plastic soda(pop) bottle with cap on inside where the element was,this does (2) things, displaces anti-freeze that will be pumped into the cannister,and allows for expansion from freezing. Cost-O$ Youroo!!
Thanks, I'll try that.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
j2detroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Detroit Lakes MN home of We Fest
Posts: 304
We have an 06 Cherokee that also came with one of those very nice double inline filters ... what a pain after the first season while winterizing I cut the line and added a new chuck of hose in and got rid of these filters and just buy a 20 dollar inline filter each season
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,420
Don't worry about the RV antifreeze freezing. It will at worst turn to a slush. We live where it can go as low as -40 and I have yet to have an issue. THe only thing I would say is when you take the filter canister off to remove the filter, dry the threads on the housing and the canister with a paper towel prior to reinstalling the housing. The water in the threads can crack things if it does not get time to evaporate on it's own before a freeze (I have had fittings on a pressure washer crack before).
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
mike54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Crystal lake,IL
Posts: 248
last winter I took out the filter out pumped the antifreeze thru the system dumped the filter canister down the toilet screwed it back on. This year I won't have the mess from the water filter I had it removed.
__________________
Mike & Marsha
2011 Signature Ultra Lite 8319SS
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
A heads up when you remove the water filter canister. There is a rubber O ring in the top of the canister, dont loose it when you empty the canister or you will have water leaks until you find a replacement.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 884
I thought about doing this myself, but it seemed to me that you can by a lot of antifreeze at$2/Gal (typ sale price) for the cost of the bypass. That said, I will probably still do what you did on my own rig
__________________
Cathy & Jeff
Midland, Michigan
2020 Cedar Creek 34IK / 2019 Ram3500 CID
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre
I thought about doing this myself, but it seemed to me that you can by a lot of antifreeze at$2/Gal (typ sale price) for the cost of the bypass. That said, I will probably still do what you did on my own rig
Where do yo u buy it for 2 a gallon ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 884
Menards 1.99 /gal on sale in Michigan
__________________

__________________
Cathy & Jeff
Midland, Michigan
2020 Cedar Creek 34IK / 2019 Ram3500 CID
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.


×