Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Water Filter and Winterizing

On my new Sabre 34TBOK which is being delivered tomorrow it has a water filter which my 2008 Crossroads Cruiser did not have. My dealer told me in winter to remove the filter and install a line in place and then do the winterizing. Does anybody else do this? They told me that if I fill the filter with RV Antifreeze I run the risk of cracking the housing. What are your experiences?

2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2012 Honda CBR250
iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman31
On my new Sabre 34TBOK which is being delivered tomorrow it has a water filter which my 2008 Crossroads Cruiser did not have. My dealer told me in winter to remove the filter and install a line in place and then do the winterizing. Does anybody else do this? They told me that if I fill the filter with RV Antifreeze I run the risk of cracking the housing. What are your experiences?
On my sabre I remove filter and drain water then fill canister back up with antifreeze since I installed a winterization kit that uses the pump to draw in antifreeze from the jug.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman31 View Post
I don't have a Sabre, but on my previous Wildcats I removed the filter and then when I pumped antifreeze back into the lines I allowed the canister to fill with antifreeze. I've been doing this for 8 years. This is the procedure I will use on my Silverback this year too. I have no clue why the dealer would tell you the canister could crack if it is filled with antifreeze, unless you live in a climate where antifreeze will actually freeze. Like I said, I don't have a Sabre but it sounds to me like you have a dealer that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman

I don't have a Sabre, but on my previous Wildcats I removed the filter and then when I pumped antifreeze back into the lines I allowed the canister to fill with antifreeze. I've been doing this for 8 years. This is the procedure I will use on my Silverback this year too. I have no clue why the dealer would tell you the canister could crack if it is filled with antifreeze. Like I said, I don't have a Sabre but it sounds to me like you have a dealer that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
X2
Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Steve Jackson

Seeing as we are talking about winterizing, what procedure do you all use for the freshwater tank? I haven't used my tank since I bought the trailer in March. I have only camped in full hookup sites. Which leads me to another question is there something I should be doing to this tank if I don't use it?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961
Seeing as we are talking about winterizing, what procedure do you all use for the freshwater tank? I haven't used my tank since I bought the trailer in March. I have only camped in full hookup sites. Which leads me to another question is there something I should be doing to this tank if I don't use it?
Just drain it unless there's no water in it then do nothing.
Verify that it's truly empty by leaving draIn valve open on next outing
Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I don't have a Sabre, but on my previous Wildcats I removed the filter and then when I pumped antifreeze back into the lines I allowed the canister to fill with antifreeze. I've been doing this for 8 years. This is the procedure I will use on my Silverback this year too. I have no clue why the dealer would tell you the canister could crack if it is filled with antifreeze, unless you live in a climate where antifreeze will actually freeze. Like I said, I don't have a Sabre but it sounds to me like you have a dealer that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
This is our first camper with an on board water filter. We don't use it (no filter in the canister) because we have an exterior inline filter. So then you just leave the antifreeze in the canister all winter? I assume the antifreeze will get flushed out of the canister in the spring when you hook up the water again.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
This is our first camper with an on board water filter. We don't use it (no filter in the canister) because we have an exterior inline filter.
Just like you we do not use our on board filter ether. I am planning on by passing the filter housing when I winterize and never look back. It is a PITA to get to on our TT.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #9

Remove the canister,remove the filter element,place a plastic soda(pop) bottle with cap on inside where the element was,this does (2) things, displaces anti-freeze that will be pumped into the cannister,and allows for expansion from freezing. Cost-O$ Youroo!!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
This is our first camper with an on board water filter. We don't use it (no filter in the canister) because we have an exterior inline filter. So then you just leave the antifreeze in the canister all winter? I assume the antifreeze will get flushed out of the canister in the spring when you hook up the water again.
In the spring after I have flushed the antifreeze out the lines thoroughly, I turn the water off, remove the filter housing and empty it, put in a fresh water filter for the season, and then turn the water back on.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote