Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
That's doubtful since many/most/almost all units have this kind of tubing/hose for fresh water. Are you sure you don't have any of this anywhere? I do.
I can assure you that I been over every inch of my TT and it's all pex tubing except for a few short
lengths of clear braided hose near the water pump. The only white with a blue stripe hose is the one I hook
to the city water inlet.
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #22
Site Team

OK, "a few short lengths of clear braided" is probably better than "white with a blue stripe hoes" (I don't know) but it's still not pex. Are you assuming ALL of the OP's cold water lines are garden hose (hoes) or just what he can see in these pics? I agree with your suggestion "I would contact FR. also," since it's obvious that owners such as the two of us won't be able to solve his issue.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
OK, "a few short lengths of clear braided" is probably better than "white with a blue stripe hoes" (I don't know) but it's still not pex. Are you assuming ALL of the OP's cold water lines are garden hose (hoes) or just what he can see in these pics? I agree with your suggestion "I would contact FR. also," since it's obvious that owners such as the two of us won't be able to solve his issue.
No I didn't assume or state all his water lines are garden hose. But the one in his picture is clearly a
fresh/ drinking hose. What's your point .
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #24

I developed a slow leak at the water inlet on my toilet on my last trip. I'm sure it was the water pressure regulator that failed that caused it.

I just ordered a PEX crimping tool, clamps, elbows, cutter, etc. last night from Amazon.

You know the old saying, "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself". I've already modified many water connections in the bathroom shower. The factory just throws stuff together and doesn't give it any quality control.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdub2 View Post
No I didn't assume or state all his water lines are garden hose. But the one in his picture is clearly a
fresh/ drinking hose. What's your point .
More than 1 point:
The OP said his unit was built with "cheap garden hose" for cold water lines. I don't believe this is cheap garden hose and I doubt if all his cold water lines are made of this.
You wrote "looks like they ran out of the proper line and said hey let's use this the buyer will never know." My point is that it didn't happen this way. With so many chiming in that they have this kind of stuff in their units, the assemblers of the OP's unit did not run out of supplies and run out to Wal*Mart to buy up all their drinking water hose. These assemblers have this stuff by the 100 yards and they install it in every unit they build.

I'm out. Let's just leave it at "looks like they ran out of the proper line and said hey let's use this the buyer will never know" and hope the OP will keep asking other owners enough questions that his situation will correct itself. Good evening.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #26

I wanted to move some things around in my wet bay panel. When I tried to find the white braided plastic hose I was unable to locate it either locally or online. The hose that is in my trailer is made by camco. It has very specific temp and pressure ratings stamped on the side.

While it looks like regular camco drinking water hose, it is not (or at least not labeled the same). If you guys find it somewhere please post.

Agree with earlier comments, it probably isn't the most robust solution but it does meet the temp/pressure specs and the comparable PEX configuration complexity to replace it would be pretty ugly and take alot of space for the routing/fittings, etc.

Finally, for you guys that carry pex crimper, bands and fittings onboard, make sure and get a couple lengths of pex pipe as well. In the 10 yrs we have had trailers, I have never had a pex issue, I want to be prepared just in case.

FYI, the only leak we've ever had was the twist on fitting on the back of the water heater.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
...Finally, for you guys that carry pex crimper, bands and fittings onboard, make sure and get a couple lengths of pex pipe as well. In the 10 yrs we have had trailers, I have never had a pex issue, I want to be prepared just in case.

FYI, the only leak we've ever had was the twist on fitting on the back of the water heater.
I leave the extra length of PEX at home, and only carry the fittings and crimpers. If I ever need to do a repair job when I'm out on the road, it's usually leaking at the crimp that's the issue. Should I ever run into a problem with an actual PEX line, then there should be a hardware store somewhere.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #28

We have the same hose in our 366rlc along with Pex. One hose runs all the way from behind the wet bay to the rear of the frame and back half way to the front to the refrigerator ice maker. It developed a sever leak in the under belly. When I finally found it after cutting three holes in the under belly it turned out to be a split in the hose. It may have been caused by a pinch as it was near a floor joist. I cut out the split and used a brass barbed connector and hose clamps to repair it. BTW, it cut very easily with a pocket knife so I question if it's braided. Also, looking behind the wet bay there is quite a rats nest of this hose.
10Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #29

There is nothing wrong with braided PVC hose, it is recommended to be used on the freshwater pump as it absorbs the vibration better than PEX and keeps connections from rattling loose.

On the left is the braided PVC hose used in rv-s, on the right is a Camco freshwater hose at 60 PSI, both 1/2".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180706_160130.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	182257  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water