Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Retired

Water on Floor after Traveling in the Rain.

While setting our Columbus up after a five hour drive to Maine in a heavy rain we discovered water on the floor between the two main slides and a puddle/wet area in the bedroom between the bed and the closet doors. We couldn’t think how water could get into the trailer from “failed” slide seals. The 5er is new and the seals have been inspected, washed and silicone applied with no notice of any defects but anything is possible when dealing with water infiltration. A theory is, could the wet areas be caused by water dripping from the AC vents due to the front and rear AC units or seal leak and water somehow got into the ducts and dripped into the floor. I looked at the units on the roof but didn't notice anything weird. As I said, just a theory.

Side Line: The 5er is at the dealer going through a "punch list"...wet floors is on the list.
I always believe the more inputs the better chance for a positive solution.
Any thoughts on possible sources of infiltration points would be appreciated?
Thanks for your replies.
Happy Trails
Old 07-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
While setting our Columbus up after a five hour drive to Maine in a heavy rain we discovered water on the floor between the two main slides and a puddle/wet area in the bedroom between the bed and the closet doors. We couldn’t think how water could get into the trailer from “failed” slide seals. The 5er is new and the seals have been inspected, washed and silicone applied with no notice of any defects but anything is possible when dealing with water infiltration. A theory is, could the wet areas be caused by water dripping from the AC vents due to the front and rear AC units or seal leak and water somehow got into the ducts and dripped into the floor. I looked at the units on the roof but didn't notice anything weird. As I said, just a theory.

Side Line: The 5er is at the dealer going through a "punch list"...wet floors is on the list.
I always believe the more inputs the better chance for a positive solution.
Any thoughts on possible sources of infiltration points would be appreciated?
Thanks for your replies.
Happy Trails
Have them check the screws holding the ac on. If they are not tight enough, the gasket (seal) will not be compressed enough to seal water out. It happened to me.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
Have them check the screws holding the ac on. If they are not tight enough, the gasket (seal) will not be compressed enough to seal water out. It happened to me.
Yes, definitely check the bolts. We had a pop up years ago that would have water in it only if we were towing in the rain. Eventually figured out that the bolts were loose and the AC would lift enough to let rain in going down the road. Two campers later and checking the AC bolts is still on my regular maintenance list.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #4

Read the manual and Do Not overtighten them! Over torque leaks as bad as under torqued.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #5

My 2013 320RS had water on the floors after traveling through rain. Water was splashing up from the tires on both sides through voids in the seals. Have someone with a strong shop light shine above the wheel areas while someone looks for signs of the light inside, under the slides.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #6

My Flagstaff has let water in slide above the wheels. Selling dealer couldn't find it. I looked and the deal above the rack didn't have any pressure on the bottom of the slide. Took it to another dealer and they saw the same thing. They put a heavier slightly taller seal behind the flexing seal. So far so good.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

Whatever it is, get to the bottom of the leak and see if there is some way to ensure water has not gotten into the insulation. It will just stay there and cause premature rot.
Ask me how I know.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, travel, water