Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
semi-senior member

Waterless Trap

I have a 320 and it has waterless traps on the kitchen and bath. I seem to get odors from my gray tank in the bath that comes up from the shower and sink drains. No problem with kitchen drain. I keep the shower drain covered and a small amount of water in the sink. Has any one experienced a similar situation? And if so what did you do?

Happy Camping
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

I too have that situation in my Sabre 34reqs. Still trying to find a solution to that problem.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There was a post a few days ago on the same thing... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...6-a-45539.html

Not sounding like the Hepvo valve is getting 'two thumbs up' as proven technology!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

I also have the smell in the bathroom. Today I did a little investigating to prove to myself what I reasoned to be the problem. I put water in the sink about half full. Let the water out and you will hear water sounds in the shower drain. Next I took the vacuum cleaner and inserted it in the sink drain and had a nice suction in the shower drain. This tells you there is no trap between the two. I then went down below and found how everything is plumbed. The waterless trap is hooked to the gray water holding tank and above it is a "Y" fitting going to ths shower and the sink. About 6 feet of pipe to the sink and 4 feet of pipe to the shower. The smell is coming from the 10 feet of pipe with no trap. It needs two traps as close to the drains as possible to stop the smell. You can also put covers on both drains all the time. I will be installing traps when we return home from this summer's travels.
bclantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Please send pictures of how you do it. I would like to do the same.
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
IndyDave

I don't get the smell from the bathroom, I get a whiff from the kitchen sink usually when I run water. I assume the smell escates up through the drain when the water goes down. I add chemicals and that usually takes care of it. Putting traps on the two drains sounds like a good idea so if I ever have that problem I'll know what to do.
djhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

I looked up the detail of that trap. The exact same principal was used by a few different mfg. to drain the outside compartments without fear of water coming back in. Its simply flattened tube which is opened round for connection. I can see in grey water applications crud can easily build up inside the flattened portion where it can no longer close. Simple solution would be to open up and clean the "bladder", no more gas passage. Not sure if a P trap would fit in some of these tight lockers, probably why this type was chosen.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water