Old 10-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #41
Expect nothing from Palomino or Forest River, they will likely suggest filing with your RV insurance carrier.

lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #42
I think you will probably get zero help from FR. The tires look to be out of manufacturer's warranty. I hope I'm wrong. The tires most manufacturer's put on really stink and they should not be allowed to do it. In the alternative, they should have a factory upgrade that you can order at the time you put every other option on. The damage to your trailer almost always exceeds the cost of replacing all five of the OEM tires. It is money well spent. Sorry for your loss.

2013 Columbus 365 RL
2009 Ford F350 Super Duty Dually
Cobrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #43
My guess is none. FR doesn't warrant the tires. Same with the fridge, AC, water pump, etc. You'll have to deal with the tire manf. IMO the only tires worth keeping on a new trailer are GY Marathons. The rest are marginal at best. 1000 miles in 2 years is really low. It means your TT sat for long periods of time. That's worse than driving 10,000 miles in two years.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #44
My mileage is low, but most of my use has been weekends within a 100 mile range. I am not retired so I don't have the luxury of long distance RVing, at least not yet. The RV is rolled out at least one time each month, just not great distances. If I don't take it out, then I tow it around for 15 - 20 minutes in the local area just to dust it off. Probably could do better, but time constraints make it difficult.
haluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #45
Well sounds like you're doing all you can. I know the time constraint thing. I'm retired but the wife a has a couple years to go. Arrrg. Do you have an extended warranty? That would be the only way I think FR/Palomino would even consider helping you.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #46
Originally Posted by Cyoul8r View Post
I just joined the "China Bomb " club this weekend. My right front Akuret HF188 ST 235/80R16 blew out on the way home from a trip to the Arizona mountains. The tread came completly off causing an estimated $1,000 damage to the right side of 5th wheel. I was driving at 60 mph when a toyhauler flashed his lights at me and motioned to pull over. I didn't hear it blow out. Luckily, a Highway Patrol Officer pulled up behind me which made the traffic move over to the left lane. He assisted me in changing it. The DOT is 83B5HFA 4711 and tread depth was 11/16" as verified by the other 3 tires. The tire had approximately 1,000 miles on it and was checked at 80psi before leaving. My insurance adjuster took pictures and said he was going to attempt filing a calim against the mfg. Good luck with that! I did, however, file a report with NHTSA.

So what do I do now. I want to replace all tires and I've been reading about GY Marathons or Maxxis. What tires have you guys used to replace these bombs?
I'm the OP of this thread and thought I would update what has happened since I posted. I have replaced all tires (w/spare) with Bridgestone Duravis 250 LT245/75R16. My insurance company had me ship the Akuret HF188 ST 235/80R16 to Unicorn Tire Corporation for an independent investigation of the cause of the blowout. Their analysis results are:

"Belt separation with no evidence of overload, under inflation or road hazard. The tread/belt package is off and missing. This is a result of the steel belts separating between the steel belts. Carcass is not broken and appears it would hold air".

I have received a check to reimbuse me for my deductible because of the above. Now I'm just waiting for FR to ship the necessary parts.

2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS-6
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty Fx4 6.7 Powerstroke
16K PullRite SuperGlide
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags
Cyoul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #47
Exc choice on tires. They should serve you well.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #48
Mod free 5er
Not just China Bombs, Was just taking pictures of a track hoe leaving from the property next door and a semi had a right front tire explode and tore the right front fender off his tractor, the trailer had just passed me when the tire exploded. Went down to take picture, but the driver was not wanting anyone even close to his rig. Didn't take me long to clear out.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #49
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by Char_n_Kath View Post
While this is not an "endorsement" of the China brand "Triangle" tires that came on my trailer from the factory, I have to give the tires credit after loosing a wheel. This tire held up 60 +/- miles, doing 50-60 mph, in the rain after the other entire wheel separated without my knowing it.

Proper Torque the lug nuts would not have failed the studs. Who mounted and checked the wheels last?
TPMS would have alerted you as soon as the tire went out of range.

You do realize the remaining tire was overloaded by 100% so may have internal structural damage and needs to be replaces.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #50
As a newbie please bear with me. I have read many threads on this forum regarding the quality of the OEM tires. Most of the threads appear to be related to TT and fifth wheel trailers. Should I expect similar problems on my Forester that is due to be delivered soon. Are the class C tires supplied by Ford or by FR? I also have bought enough new cars and trucks in my life to know that even if Ford supplies the tires, the OEM tires will not last very long either. Thanks in advance for your time.

Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote