Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Oklahoma Proud

Honestly not the weight police. We have a Puma by Palamino 295kbh that may total (or may take the money and trade - dealer already gave me a price for my 5er as is). -We have a Chevy 2500hd duramax, cc 4x4 that weighs about 7350 with me and junk in it (with my 35"tires, subtract about 140lb. When I put stock ones on, which I do when pulling 5er over the summer.) And I have the 9200 gvrw, so I have about 1850lb of payload.
-The brochure has the 36qbok with a 1825lb pin weight, and amazingly the 32bhok has a 1872lb pin weight. Yes I know the loaded weight, pass and other weights add to it. Usually the dw tows the boat ahead of me and the kids and some other junk goes with her.
We are looking at getting a new 3500hd for the dw- just cant find what we want or make up our minds on dually or single rear wheel.
-just curious as to what others tow thiers with.

Ps. My dealer who is a friend says that we can test pull their new platinum one they just got in if I want.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Oh and we are also looking at the Crusader 360bhs, almost the same floor plan and specs as the sabre 36qbok, and also the Crusaders 335bhs- its only about 37-38' and a 1657 pin weight.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

I pull mine with and F350 dually and glad I do. Won't get into weight/payload conversation as everyone has an opinion. I have seen a couple of SRW 350/3500 series trucks pulling them and even saw an F250 pulling one with a lift on both the camper and trailer (not for me though).
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Thanks! I really want a dually for towing such a trailer, thats why im also looking at the 335 crusader, wish sabre had a similarly specd model.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Always Learning

I pull mine with a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW crew cab with 4.10 gears and a long bed.

Actually scaled weight for the camper was 13,800 pounds total with a pin weight of 2,300 pounds. However, that was my first trip of the season and I had empty water tanks, empty water heater, empty propane, no groceries and were not carrying our normal 6 gallons of drinking water and a case of drinking water. Estimating a normal load for us- I'm expecting 14,000-14,250 pounds and likely 2,250 - 2,500 pounds of pin weight. I usually run with 1/3-1/2 tank of fresh water, water heater full and 1 or 2 propane tanks full. We also try to shop for groceries before leaving as well as carrying the drinking water that I described.

We're leaving for a couple of week trip soon and I'm going to hit a scale again on our way out.

You can see my full numbers posted on my blog:
http://learntorv.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
In Search of a Vacation

We have a 2013 Sabre 35-QSIK-6 Platinum, which is almost 40ft, actually a little over when you have the bike rack down. I pull it with a GMC Denali HD -Dually - with no trouble what so ever. We looked at the 36-QBOK before buying ours a couple of months ago. Tom Raper actually had them sitting side by side and for the room inside we chose the QSIK. Good luck on deciding!
cwblaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Always Learning

Just to follow up with a direct link since I'm at my computer, here are all of my actual weights:
Learn To RV: Getting Weighed - Quick Recap
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwblaylock View Post
We have a 2013 Sabre 35-QSIK-6 Platinum, which is almost 40ft, actually a little over when you have the bike rack down. I pull it with a GMC Denali HD -Dually - with no trouble what so ever. We looked at the 36-QBOK before buying ours a couple of months ago. Tom Raper actually had them sitting side by side and for the room inside we chose the QSIK. Good luck on deciding!
My wife loves the 35qsik. But if I remember correctly, the pin weight is higher then the 36qbok.
- I just looked at a montana high country on my way home from work, it was nice but I like sabre and primetime better I think.
I dont know what to do, just waiting on insurance right now, may just stick with a Puma.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Thanks ependydad! Wow you do have a high front axle weight. I would like to weigh my axles separately, but all the scales that are close to where we go and that ive used are feed scales and are a simple platform scale, that holds truck and trailer all together. So its individual component weights for me, untill I find q cat scale somewhere.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Honestly not the weight police. We have a Puma by Palamino 295kbh that may total (or may take the money and trade - dealer already gave me a price for my 5er as is). -We have a Chevy 2500hd duramax, cc 4x4 that weighs about 7350 with me and junk in it (with my 35"tires, subtract about 140lb. When I put stock ones on, which I do when pulling 5er over the summer.) And I have the 9200 gvrw, so I have about 1850lb of payload.
-The brochure has the 36qbok with a 1825lb pin weight, and amazingly the 32bhok has a 1872lb pin weight. Yes I know the loaded weight, pass and other weights add to it. Usually the dw tows the boat ahead of me and the kids and some other junk goes with her.
We are looking at getting a new 3500hd for the dw- just cant find what we want or make up our minds on dually or single rear wheel.
-just curious as to what others tow thiers with.

Ps. My dealer who is a friend says that we can test pull their new platinum one they just got in if I want.
I have a 25' puma now towing it with a 2006 2500 cummins 2wd we are looking at up grading to a larger higher end unit we are looking at the crusader 360 or the 355 dry weight is right around 12k I just don't know if this is to much camper we live in Louisiana so all the towing would relatively flat except for the occasional trip to TN OR north AL. can anyone give me some help with this. I've been pulling the 25'er for 7 years so I'm comfortable pulling loads
sbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreen View Post

I have a 25' puma now towing it with a 2006 2500 cummins 2wd we are looking at up grading to a larger higher end unit we are looking at the crusader 360 or the 355 dry weight is right around 12k I just don't know if this is to much camper we live in Louisiana so all the towing would relatively flat except for the occasional trip to TN OR north AL. can anyone give me some help with this. I've been pulling the 25'er for 7 years so I'm comfortable pulling loads
I think your in the the same boat as me. A dually is really needed for the 360 and the 36qbok.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Oh and btw our current puma 5er is about 33-34' and HAD a dry ship weight of about 8k and pin was advertized at about 1100lb. I dont really know how much more 5er I'd want behind this truck- they pull so much harder than heavier weights of equipment and hay imho.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #13

I am reluctant to reply, due to some responses I've experienced when posting before , but I tow my QBOK with a 2004 Chevy HD 8.1L gasser. I have had no problems at all and am very pleased with my towing experience. In fact I feel more comfortable towing this RV than I did my Outback TT. I did upgrade the tires to E rated Michelin MS/2 10 ply and installed Firestone air bags. IMHO the air bags and tire combo are the difference maker and in particular, the air bags. I inflate to 55lbs and have found that to be my magic #...under 50lbs and I feel a littly mushy. However, I tow on realtively flat terrain and do not carry any fluid in the tanks. I am sure each experience will be differenct but since taken the delivery of my QBOK in April I have towed over 1000 miles and feel very comfortable and safe. Yes, I do want to upgrade the TV to a 3500 duelly in the future..it's just not in the cards now. I will be tested next week when I tow to Pigeon Forge and scale Jellico Mtn..slow and steady as she goes
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

Thanks speedcat for your input!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks ependydad! Wow you do have a high front axle weight. I would like to weigh my axles separately, but all the scales that are close to where we go and that ive used are feed scales and are a simple platform scale, that holds truck and trailer all together. So its individual component weights for me, untill I find q cat scale somewhere.
Can't you just pull the front axle onto the scale, get weighed, pull both axles onto the scale, get weighed and then pull the camper totally onto the scale and get weighed. The axle weights would be the diff between each weigh.. right? They'd be off somewhat due to being at the edge of the scale- but ballpark should help.

Check out catscale.com- they have a locator. They're all over the place.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Well the scale platform is about 70-80 ' long. Dont think it would be very accurate being that close to the edge.
- I drive by a scale on the way to work, but only go by there with the 5er (going to or ftom dealer-which was only once besides purchase) when it's rush hour and its at a really busy/bad exit.
I'll get it someday. We dont really travel that much to find scales, mainly are going to lakes that are 1-2hrs away.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #17

Quote:
I think your in the the same boat as me. A dually is really needed for the 360 and the 36qbok.
Ummm...Really, "needed"? I pull our QBOK with our SRW with no problem.

If the numbers all work, it boils down to what you may "think" you need.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post

Ummm...Really, "needed"? I pull our QBOK with our SRW with no problem.

If the numbers all work, it boils down to what you may "think" you need.
Ok yes.
I guess I use the term dually as a 350/3500 term. We have looked at srw 3500 and best I can tell they should have close to 4000lb of payload. The one I spec'd was 11600 gvrw and im thinking it should be a little heavier than mine so probably the 7500-8000lb range, so that would work fine for the 36.

-im still leaning towards the fact that our 2500hd is not truck enough for this trailer. Im actually looking at a little older f450-f550 or 4500-5500 rigs right now.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
Oklahoma Proud

Oh btw, I almost forgot. Actually had a sales person at a dealership say that the would not feel comfortable selling me a crusader 360 (almost identical floor. Plan and specs as sabre 36qbok) because thier computer said my truck was rated to tow 12k and the trailer was 12,100. They said that they like you to be at least 1000lb under your tow rating. But they said they didnt think pin weight mattered much (I was proud of them for a second, then they said that???) Thats when they tried selling me a 9500lb/ 1750 pin weight montana.

Oh well, still waiting on ins. They said maybe next week they could look at my trailer.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #20

I have had several 1/2 tons & 3/4 tons Now after having a truck with training wheels......... for stability I don't ever want to go back....

Biggest drawback that I have with the duelly is when I pull my flat car trailer (Its about 23' long) ....When empty I can not see it going down the road & I keep looking for it on a curve as I can not tell that it is back there.

I pulled a 25 ft 5th wheel Puma for a couple years & now pull a 5th wheel 35' Puma 356 QLB TH...... biggest learning curve for the extra length of the trailer is turning in tight areas & backing........ Having the extra wheels is great on a windy day or when a big rig passes.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote