Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I think that is exactly what he means. Also towing capacity is about the same on all the HD trucks across the spectrum based on engine/trans/rear specs regardless of wheels. It is the GVWR of the truck and so the available payload that determines whether a particular truck can tow a particular camper.

For example my 2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax has a "book" 5th wheel towing capacity of 15,800 pounds (nearly same as their 3500HD SRW and 3500DRW at 16,500 pounds). However the mediocre GVWR of 9200 pounds and the remaining available payload (after family, hitch, generator and spare fuel) of 1500 pounds limits my 5th wheel camper size to 9400 pounds.

The 3500HD SRW and DRW has a trailer capacity of 16,500; just 800 pounds more. What changes is the available payloads. The SRW GVWR is 9700 pounds and the DRW GVWR is 11,400 pounds.

To be fair, the newer GMC/Chevy 2500HD trucks have GVWRs of 10,200 pounds due to a frame change ("C" to BOX) in 2010.
While this is all true, in no equal configuration of a new F350/3500HD/RAM will a single wheel have more towing or payload capacity, book or calculated, than a dual wheel, because the GVWR increase far exceeds the weight of the added wheels. If this was not the case, why build a dually at all.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #12

i had this discussion with a buddy a few weeks ago...he proceeded to whip out the ford towing spec sheet and pointed out that in the "MAX" payload column that the f350 single rear wheel had the highest numbers of them all.....

to which i quickly pointed out that it was only becasue ford does NOT offer the dually in THOSE particular configurations.....(ie supercab and supercrew SHORT bed)...or at least there was not payload numbers listed for those configurations.....so of course the single f350 had higher numbers!!! heck even if it had base f150 numbers they woulda been higher!! LOL

but i think its interesting that we are always talking about frames and engines and brakes when looking at payload numbers, but in reality the weak link is the rear axle configuration.....add some dual wheels and viola...an extra 3000lbs in some cases of payload, while all other things remain the same....except for maybe the springs...

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
While this is all true, in no equal configuration of a new F350/3500HD/RAM will a single wheel have more towing or payload capacity, book or calculated, than a dual wheel, because the GVWR increase far exceeds the weight of the added wheels. If this was not the case, why build a dually at all.
Oh! For sure!

Just for most users IMO, the dually is way overkill and not worth the hassles involved with trying to get around town after you unhook for such a small increase in payload/towing capacity over the 3500HD SRW.

There are many (I can't BELIEVE how many) folks towing 15,000 pound campers with my 2500HD SRW. With only the driver, a full tank of gas, and the hitch in the truck, the 2008 2500HD gasser (not the diesel as it is a much heavier engine) has an available payload of almost 3000 pounds. With a max available 3000 pound pin you can easily carry the pin on a 15,000 pound 5th wheel.

At 15% pin loading, a 15,000 pound camper has a 2250 pound pin
At 20% "optimum" pin loading, a 15,000 pound camper has a 3,000 pound pin.

Just depends on the choices you make as to what goes into the truck.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #14

Well, you see alot of trucks pulling in what we would call "overloaded" condition.

They are getting away with it because some trucks are just clearly under-rated. The ratings are what the manufacturer will warranty/guarantee, not the break point.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Oh! For sure!

Just for most users IMO, the dually is way overkill and not worth the hassles involved with trying to get around town after you unhook for such a small increase in payload/towing capacity over the 3500HD SRW.

There are many (I can't BELIEVE how many) folks towing 15,000 pound campers with my 2500HD SRW. With only the driver, a full tank of gas, and the hitch in the truck, the 2008 2500HD gasser (not the diesel as it is a much heavier engine) has an available payload of almost 3000 pounds. With a max available 3000 pound pin you can easily carry the pin on a 15,000 pound 5th wheel.

At 15% pin loading, a 15,000 pound camper has a 2250 pound pin
At 20% "optimum" pin loading, a 15,000 pound camper has a 3,000 pound pin.

Just depends on the choices you make as to what goes into the truck.
i agree...i see it too....a newer f250 crew cab (nevermind the higher numbers for a reg cab or supercab!!) can be configured for a max tow of 15.3 and a payload of 3700lbs ....for a GASSER.....

im sorry, but i dont care if the truck could do it or not, i would not feel comfortable with 15.3 on the back of a single wheel gasser...LOL...but hey..thats just me!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzyteach View Post
DH says he checked the specs on the dually when he bought our F350. They can't tow as much because the second axle adds weight that subtracts from the towing capacity. Just saying to check.
Google Ford towing guide and start reading. DRW numbers are higher than SRW.
The dual rear wheels support more weight over the box for gooseneck or fifth wheel than a single rear wheel setup. Also if you get a flat tire in the rear, you are safer as one extra tire is still back there to support weight while you slow down and stop. Get a flat on a single rear wheel and hang on for the ride.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Go F350 SRW Diesel...dually too hard to negotiate as a daily driver.
About 1 foot to the left or right and I am over the painted lines with my dually. It's just something you get used to however.

What sucks about a dually, can't drive em through the carwash. What's nice about a dually, it puts those guys in their 1/2 tons with loud exhaust back in their place. I tell em I'm not towing a Bayliner.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
About 1 foot to the left or right and I am over the painted lines with my dually. It's just something you get used to however.
Yeah, add 12 hours on the road at a 1am drive through a town with a crying baby while watching the GPS to tell you that you were 2.3 miles from the hotel you had just booked all adds up to getting pulled over by a cop who I assume thought I'd had a few too many because "your duals ran over the land divider line and the lines for the suicide turn lanes".

Fortunately, said child was still screaming like a banshee when he came up to the door and he let me off with a warning.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Trailer Trash

You swerved at 1am - prime time for dwi. A crying baby and a 12 hour drive is driving tired and distracted. Fortunantly you got an understanding cop.

I got pulled over middle of the afternoon because I swerved in my own lane with a car. On go the cherries and siren. I swerved because I sneezed. Same drill off with a warning. They just spot check, get an excuse for probable cause and hope they get lucky and find something.

I'll bet ya the cop can't drive a dually 5 minutes on a curvy road without one of the tires going over a line. Most people can't.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Oh, I had no issue with him pulling me over - he was right in his assessment of what it could have been (DWI). I was also pretty thankful that he was understanding of my plight. I was actually pretty frustrated for letting the whole situation happen - we just kept thinking, "a little longer before we stop" and ultimately it went too long.

EITHER WAY... for the most part, I have no issues with the dually as a daily driver. There ARE a couple of drive thrus that we don't attempt nor do we go through car washes. But, for us and the FW we have - it was the only choice.