Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 AM   #1

What does back up camera ready mean?

Just picked up our 2015 Palomini 142ck. It is supposed to be back up camera ready. What does this mean? Recommendations on camera brands?? Thanks.
Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #2

Looking at a picture of your unit it appears to have the mounting case for the Furion camera. There should be a power wire for a camera in that case, probably powered whenever the running lights are on.

There are several threads here about the cameras. Look at them and do a lot of research because the majority of the options are Chinese junk. Personally, I like the Sharx system mainly because it's what I use for home security and have had good results. Plus, it displays on a iPhone, iPad or droid display.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep a Furion ready camera system. It works but it has such a small display monitor that is hard to see. Talk to them at the rally last year about the size and they said they were working on a bigger one. Have not seen it yet. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #4

Thank you! I appreciate the information.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Furrion FOS48TA-BL 100' Wireless Observation Back Up Camera w monitor

I received this one over Christmas to go on my Vengeance 19v. It is plug and play. I think it took longer to get the ladder out than it did to install. I finally used it this weekend and I loved it. Worked amazing and the picture is really clear. It is an observation camera so it can stay on the entire time you are driving and not just when you are backing up. Furrion FOS48TA BL 100' Wireless Observation Back Up Camera w Monitor | eBay

kogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogden View Post
I received this one over Christmas to go on my Vengeance 19v. It is plug and play. I think it took longer to get the ladder out than it did to install. I finally used it this weekend and I loved it. Worked amazing and the picture is really clear. It is an observation camera so it can stay on the entire time you are driving and not just when you are backing up. Furrion FOS48TA BL 100' Wireless Observation Back Up Camera w Monitor | eBay

Very curious. Is there a way to set the frequency on a wireless camera set up? It would seem that you would get interference when in the proximity of another system of the same brand.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Mine is only on when I go to park. No problem yet with interference. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Is there a camera that will work with the stock backup camera and screen on a Chevy?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
Is there a camera that will work with the stock backup camera and screen on a Chevy?
It appears you have a camera on your tailgate. We didn't have one on our '13 Silverado. We added a Boyo license plate camera to work in reverse. That has a 4-pin din waterproof connector going to the in-dash head unit. The great thing about the license plate camera is that it still views rearward with the tailgate down.

We then added a trailer camera that is made by Rear View Safety. That system gave us a camera, a one-piece 36' cable for the length of the trailer and ending at the hitch and a 5-pin din waterproof connector mounted at the hitch. A coiled (stretch) cable connects the trailer to the TV via another 5-pin din plug at the receiver hitch. A supplied cable for the TV was fed to the head unit. Because the Rear View Safety system is 5-pin (microphone in the camera), I asked Rear View Safety to supply a proprietary 5-pin to 4-pin conversion and then to the head unit. This camera is on all the time when connected so it is a rear view camera. However, the GPS screen is disabled with the camera on. So, we use a portable GPS if the need arises.

Both systems have worked very well for 3 years. Once you have had a camera on the back of a trailer, you are at a loss without one.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #10

I need some advice..please.
So, the camper is wired for a back up camera. We purchased a Furrion Backup Camera System Model FRC12TA-BL. Got the ladder...scooped snow...took the cover off the rear housing and there is at least 6 feet of excess wire! We tried pushing the wire back into the camper and the wired only went in about 6" and then no more. There isn't room for the camera and all the wire! I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
So, the camper is wired for a back up camera. We purchased a Furrion Backup Camera System Model FRC12TA-BL. Got the ladder...scooped snow...took the cover off the rear housing and there is at least 6 feet of excess wire! We tried pushing the wire back into the camper and the wired only went in about 6" and then no more. There isn't room for the camera and all the wire! I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Rather than pushing the wire straight in, maneuver it so you are moving it sideways.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #12

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow and will let you know if it works.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Please read this carefully. There are two types of rear-facing cameras:
*A back up camera that only operates when the vehicle is in reverse. when the back up lights come on, the camera comes on as does the monitor. This is what the Furrion FRC 12TA-BL is designed to do.
*A rear view camera acts as a digital rear view mirror and is on anytime there is power to the system. Basically, you are moving your rear view "mirror" of the road to the back of the TT. That is what the Furrion-FOS48TAPK-BL-Wireless-High-Speed-wireless camera system is designed to do. There is a strong possibility that this is what your TT is pre-wired for.

The Furrion is a wireless camera system . "Wireless" means there is no hard line video feed cable.The 6 ft of wire is only be a power feed. That cable will have a positive wire and a negative ground wire. The red wire is positive. If the TT is pre-wired for a BACK UP CAMERA, that should already be done on the center pin of your 7-pin TV to TT connector. According to the Furrion manual the system you have in hand can only be used as a back up camera. If it was pre-wired for a rear view camera, it will be pre-wired to the running lights and you will have to do an exchange.

See the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL listed below.

http://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FOS48T...ireless+camera

The mountings for either system is identical. Is there not enough room to wrap the excess cable inside the camera mounting enclosure? If not, the only alternative is to cut and splice the wires and use heat shrink tubing to make a water tight splice.

We have both back up and rear view systems that are hard wired, but the concept is the same. It can be a frustrating learning process, but well worth the trouble. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow and will let you know if it works.
Before you install the camera, determine which pre-wired circuit you have. Remember from my previous post that there are two different Furrion camera kit part numbers. The back up kit will have the monitor power powered from the back up light circuit. The rear view camera kit will have the monitor powered off the ignition circuit (probably the cigarette lighter outlet). There is likely differences in transmit frequencies due to traffic interference.

Connect to your TV. Use a test light or volt meter at the connector on the 6' line. You can also use something as simple as a cheap running light with thin lead wires to make contact with the connector pins. If you have voltage when your running lights are on, you need the rear view camera system (do an exchange). If it is powered when the back up lights are on, you have the correct camera system. With 99 % certainty, I believe you will only need to do the running lights test. It makes a lot more sense to have a TT rear view camera that is usable all of the time than only when backing up. Just make sure you are making contact with the connector pins.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #15

Thank you

Thank you for the information. It looks like we will have to shorten the power cable. There is only room for about 3" of cable. The camera uses up most of the room in the housing.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #16

PenJoe this goes out to you or anyone else who can advise on rear camera wiring. I have a 381FL Columbus, rear camera is activated while running lights are on. Would like to rewire for full time activation to use as a security camera as we have a permanent site setup. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks
Edsage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera