Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

What kind of water filter for the Columbus 320RS

Anyone have this unit that can tell me about the built in filter? Does it come with the actual filter or do you have to buy one for it? If you do, what kind did you buy? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #2

Our 320RS came with a new filter. However it wasn't installed in the filter housing. It was in one of the drawers within the RV. We purchased our 320 in June of last year so we haven't had the replace the filter yet. I am told that it is only available from Forest River. There is a 800 number on the filter housing to call and order a replacement element.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying the Good Life View Post
Our 320RS came with a new filter. However it wasn't installed in the filter housing. It was in one of the drawers within the RV. We purchased our 320 in June of last year so we haven't had the replace the filter yet. I am told that it is only available from Forest River. There is a 800 number on the filter housing to call and order a replacement element.
I see you live in Iowa,didnt you remove the element when you winterized? Youroo!!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying the Good Life View Post
Thanks for the reply, that is good to know. I had heard also that you can use any type filter like the one it came with which is available from Lowes or Home Depot etc or online... I heard it was a common filter... When I take delivery soon, I will ask them if that is true.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

So far I can say I hate our water filter and housing! Since the South decided to get so cold this winter I have had to take it off each time after we finished camping. I have a hard time getting it back on tight enough so it has blown it off 2 or 3 times everytime I have hooked up so far ( spend the next hour drying off everything. This last time I got one of the guys at the campground get it good and tight for me. I have on order a in-line filter and will be pulling that one out.

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingDixieDogs View Post
So far I can say I hate our water filter and housing! Since the South decided to get so cold this winter I have had to take it off each time after we finished camping. I have a hard time getting it back on tight enough so it has blown it off 2 or 3 times everytime I have hooked up so far ( spend the next hour drying off everything. This last time I got one of the guys at the campground get it good and tight for me. I have on order a in-line filter and will be pulling that one out.
Just so I understand, do you have a Columbus 320RS? Looks like you have a Rockwood, is it the same exact filter set up as the Columbus?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivermann View Post
Just so I understand, do you have a Columbus 320RS? Looks like you have a Rockwood, is it the same exact filter set up as the Columbus?

You're right, I have a Rockwood. Just wanted to blow off steam about my filter! Sorry bout the hi-jack!

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #8

I never use the built in water filter. I use an inline filter made by Camco which removes chemicals and particulate matter. I replace it once a year and it doesn't affect the water flow rate. I keep it on the inlet of my fresh water hose.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivermann View Post
Anyone have this unit that can tell me about the built in filter? Does it come with the actual filter or do you have to buy one for it? If you do, what kind did you buy? Thanks!
Forest River developed their own filter, KW1, that can only be purchased through FR and possibly the actual manufaturer. There was talk about other companies begining to carry it. Either way, the replacement filters are about $29.95 plus shipping, several times the cost of a normal quality filter...shameless. Many have spent the $29.95 for a new cannister and filter, allowing them to buy replacement filters for between $5.00 to $7.00 each.

Here is a post that explains the issue on replacements:

The KW1 Water Filter Myth
Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

You can now order direct from the manufacture Water Pur. The older CCI-10-CLW design (much bigger filter and canister) is also available if you want to get rid of the FR-1/KW-1 assembly.

WaterPur Filters

Tags
320rs, columbus, water, water filter