Old 06-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #1

What type brakes in 2011 Sabre 31RETS?

Electric? Hydraulic? Electric over hydraulic? No mention in trailer manual.
Investigating the compatibility of my 2008 GM brake controller for this new FW. No mention of any of this in truck manual either.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #2

Should be 12" electric

Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Hi KHPRYOR... perhaps I have the same issue. Just took delivery of a 32QBDS this past weekend. I plug in the 5th wheel power to my truck... everything lights up and seems to work. When I apply my brakes, I can feel the 5th wheel grab (I think - will have to check again when I take it out this weekend for the fist time)... however, when I use the 2011 Ford F250 integrated brake system I can only feel the Sabre gently pulling when I have it set on maximum 'gain'. I don't think the integrated brake system would do me any good in an emergency. Do you have a similar problem? Get any beneficial feedback that isn't posted here?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. My trailer brakes seem to coordinate fine with the GM controller now. I was seeing some error-type messages on its display on our first trip during the rain, but the second trip was fine with good braking and no errors. I had read of the GM being incompatible with "electric over hydraulic", but I will now ignore that issue. I have the gain set to 4 out of 10. For DBRYN's problem, I can't think of any more feedback or advice. As a retired electrical engineer, I was going to hook up leads and measure the actual voltage on that signal while braking, at several combinations of gain and pedal. Googling around for details on this was unsuccessful so I haven't. Feel free to continue this thread for similar brake control comments.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Easy to tell. If you have wires and no brake lines going to the brake backing plates they are electric. Having hyd brake lines to the drums means electric over hyd. You will also find a pump and resevoir and a control box somewhere with electric over hyd.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #6

Sabre 32QBDS Braking Issues

Hey, so finally I got my Sabre 32QBDS in for some warranty work on my brakes. The junction box above the kingpin was examined and everything seemed to be in order, but the technician mentioned that using marettes was a bad idea and can easily come loose causing all kinds of problems. He soldered the connections for strength. He noticed up to 10 different wiring splices from the main junction box all the way to the brakes. In one case 14gauge wire was spliced to 18guage wire and then back up to 14guage wire. His comments were that it appeared as though the electrician at the factory simply used scrap wire laying around to complete the job. YIKES!!! Finally, with all 4 wheels removed on my unit, the technician mentioned that 3 of 4 wheel grease caps/hub bearings appeared to have been hammered in and were all bent out of shape, thus not containing the grease... allowing the brake assembly to fill with grease. The magnets were coated with grease - that's not going to work! As well, the technician felt the magnets were undersized (10") for the axles and weight of the trailer (10,700lbs loaded on 6,000lb axles) so he upgraded me to 12" magnets. While the technician was down under the trailer he noticed that my ground connection for my living room slide was about ready to fall off the screw and I was merely a camping trip or two away from now power to my slide. He also noted that the wiring under the slide was not protected/weatherproofed. I'm a tad worried that with all that was found... what's in the trailer that wasn't found? This sounds like very shoddy workmanship on my unit. I'm anxiously awaiting to see how RV Wholesalers and ForestRiver will handle this. Thus far, RVW has been great at open communication in helping me resolve this issue. As for my Sabre 32QBDS, thus far the interior construction seems to be top notch and I'm happy with the unit... hopefully this will be the only issues I have with it. Will keep you posted on how Forest River responds at resolving these issues. It's odd, there are several posts between March and June 2011 with similar complaints about crappy electrical work on Sabre 5th wheels. Me thinks they need a new electrician!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

Thought I would post about my 2010 32qbds. While I really like our trailer we have had a lot of problems. It seems that Forest Rivers quality checks are simply not there. From plumbing to electrical to cabinetry. Very poor quality. At this point I don't know whether I would ever buy another Sabre.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

Is this your first trailer? I do see the quality in the Sabre unit versus other units... but it would mean so much more if they took a little more time and care in putting it together. Thus far, our issue has been the brakes and I hope it stops at that. What specifically were your electrical issues? cabinetry issues?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryn
Is this your first trailer? I do see the quality in the Sabre unit versus other units... but it would mean so much more if they took a little more time and care in putting it together. Thus far, our issue has been the brakes and I hope it stops at that. What specifically were your electrical issues? cabinetry issues?
First one that I have owned yes. However I have grown up using fifth wheels and motorhomes.

As for electrical, we have had numerous slide issues. In the first year the living room slide rails and motor had to be replaced due to twisting. This year, we have had the unit in twice to fix a wire pinch that blows both the 12volt lights in both slides as well as the 110 in the living room slide.

Cabinetry, the kitchen drawers to the right of the fridge fell down at the back. No bracing was installed on the floor to support the back of the drawers. In the bedroom I have replaced all the rails on the drawers because they failed. One drawer slid out completely while driving.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #10

I see. Well, this is my 3rd unit and it seems that the first year is always the worst... and there are always issues with every unit. The drawers sound minor, but a pain in the a##. The electrical sucks... as I found out. I think once you're fixed up, you'll have a nice unit to enjoy for quite a long time compared to other units. My Coachmen walls were put together with a staple gun and tape... so it's nice to see the quality in the Sabre units. But again, it would be nice if there were quality controls to have this inspected at Sabre before leaving the factory. I submitted my warranty work and my dealer says they're not sure if my $1,700 will be covered for my brakes & electrical because I did not provide an 'estimate' first. How can one estimate what it will take to fix all the careless errors? Anyhow, we'll see if this is the dealer being a little pi$$y or if it's actually Palomino/Forest River.

Tags
brakes