Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #31

Cellular isn't what I had asked about; WiFi is. All of the Cellular plans are ridiculously expensive. I'd like access to e-mail, and can always find a Starbucks or something that provide it free; I have a Free WiFi POI on my GPS. But for the parks that do offer it' I'd like to pull in a better signal, and there are products whose purpose is that. A WiFi range extender.

The two I'm looking at are:
Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N 600mW Smart Repeater and Range Extender (SR10000)
Engenius ENH200 Business Class Long Range Wireless N Outdoor Client Bridge/Access Point

I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with either.

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #32

And cellular isn't what I responded about.

Good luck.

1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
And cellular isn't what I responded about.

Good luck.
Well, my comment wasn't aimed at anyone, but, as a matter of fact, yes, cellular IS what you are talking about.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #34

Nope, wifi. While working on my RV yesterday, I was streaming movies on the RV from Amazon using my wifi from Clear.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
Nope, wifi. While working on my RV yesterday, I was streaming movies on the RV from Amazon using my wifi from Clear.
Yes, and Clear is a cellular-based product. It creates a WiFi hotspot, but, it is most certainly a cellular product; it can't connect to the Internet with out a cell signal.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #36

Hehehehehe, I use it for my Kindle and my computer for internet.

Again, good luck.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #37
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
Cellular isn't what I had asked about; WiFi is. All of the Cellular plans are ridiculously expensive. I'd like access to e-mail, and can always find a Starbucks or something that provide it free; I have a Free WiFi POI on my GPS. But for the parks that do offer it' I'd like to pull in a better signal, and there are products whose purpose is that. A WiFi range extender.

The two I'm looking at are:
Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N 600mW Smart Repeater and Range Extender (SR10000)
Engenius ENH200 Business Class Long Range Wireless N Outdoor Client Bridge/Access Point

I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with either.

Thanks.
Treaves- I'm one of the first ones that sent us down a cellular bend.. Sorry about that. I said it before and will say it again- with working from the road, the park's that offered wifi, their wifi was typically not sufficient for what I needed. However, if you have simple email and web browsing needs, it could be good enough.

I haven't used any of the products that you mentioned. I've only read about the products from:
http://www.wifiranger.com

I did like that they had wifi-specific setups. Just dang expensive, though.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #38

I use a Jefka Tech access point and am very happy with it. It really helps with access while in the RV parks.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #39

It seems that the sites we like to park in are always the farthest from the park's wifi signal.
We thought about a repeater but most of the time the repeater itself has to be in a location that is outside the rv within the range of the wifi source.
If the signal is weak or intermittent we plug in a high gain antenna that has a much better range than the laptop's built in antenna. If we still have problems we replace the antenna on the external unit to a directional antenna and place it in the suction cup holder in the window to reduce interference from metal surfaces. Something like Amazon.com: Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW 2W 802.11g/n High Gain USB Wireless G / N Long-Range WiFi Network Adapter with 5dBi Screw-On Swivel Rubber Antenna and 7dBi Panel Antenna and Suction cup / Clip Window Mount: Computers & Accessories

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel
2012 Cedar Creek 30RL
Full Timers Since October 2012
RenoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #40
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
WIFI hot spot on android "free" if you have a mesmerize II
When I googled Mesmerize II, it came up as a Samsung Cell phone. It showed it as being from U.S. Cellular. Do they have pay-as-you-go rates and activation for those who only want to buy calling/text/data a month at a time as desired or required?

How does the mobile hotspot work? Is it that it runs off their 3G or 4G whichever this phone is capable of and while tethering my laptop via it's hotspot signal, all the web browsing is absolutely free? ...no data limit?

This is sounding promising...(and yes this is a wifi using a 3G signal post..sorry).

I am not one of these people who when camping leave cellphone and internet behind. I guess you could say I am an internet addict LOL.

2011 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel King Ranch
2011 Rockwood Roo 21RS
2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote