Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

Where are the Palomino TT's?

We just purchased in November a new on the lot 2014 Solaire Eclipse 297 RLDS from Terrytown RV (great to deal with) and drove 650 miles to pick it up. The only thing I can find is a broken tab on the outside stove vent (after a thorough PDI and the drive home, any suggestions). It is winterized so we have only "driveway camped " I have been looking for months on this forum for anything about this model without much luck. Is it a good or bad thing that not much is posted about these? We can't get enough of reading this forum and can't wait for Spring to go camping!

2018 3500 Chevy Silverado, Duramax, CC, Z71, SRW
2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 297rlds
Husky Centerline w/d hitch
Retusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #2

We have a 2014 307 qb purchased in 2013 and we've had only minor issues with it so far. They were all simple fixes like trim coming off and small cosmetic things that we could have done on our own. The worst issue was our barbecue had been used (ewww) but otherwise we are very pleased with our trailer. Over 2 ½ summers, we've travelled 12000kms with it and each year we are more comfortable than before! I hope you have similar good luck, and that your camping season is closer than ours 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
snskovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

People don't talk much because there is nothing to complain about that a typical man couldn't fix. I love my Puma, and have done a lot yo enhance it, rather than complain. Happy Camper
greyhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

We bought a new 2014 Solaire eclipse model 317 bunk house model in February 2015. It's fantastic. We pull it with our Nissan Titan and a Propride hitch. It's really nice. We have had a few things that need to be worked on but nothing big. Trim stuff inside mainly. We are in California and we don't see many of any of these in campgrounds or sales offices. But we love it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1451928282.881703.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	97244
allisonanddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonanddave View Post
We bought a new 2014 Solaire eclipse model 317 bunk house model in February 2015. It's fantastic. We pull it with our Nissan Titan and a Propride hitch. It's really nice. We have had a few things that need to be worked on but nothing big. Trim stuff inside mainly. We are in California and we don't see many of any of these in campgrounds or sales offices. But we love it. Attachment 97244
We don't see many in the mid-west either. I guess it is our little secret! We really love ours too

Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Palomino was a smaller RV company acquired by FR in 2002.
I don't think FR has done much to expand the number of Palomino dealers.
When we were shopping for a HTT, back in 2006, there was only one Palomino dealer in all of California.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #7

We have a 2015 Solaire 201SS. There have been a few problems:
-leaking window frame
-awning motor burned out
-gasket on basement door leaked and water ran into the trailer

While winterizing a few months ago I discovered 3 bumps on the roof that appear to be nails or screws pushing into the TPO roof but they haven't penetrated it yet. The dealer covered them with self leveling sealant and sent some pictures to Forest River but we haven't heard anything back.

Overall we are very happy with the trailer.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #8

I have a 2014 30RKSS. Loving my Puma and for what I got, I saved a lot of money by purchasing what some call a "starter trailer". Everybody that see's it loves it. DW loves the counter top space! I love that DW is Happy! So far so good.
C'mon April 15th! Camping season opens here up North!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

My sister and I bought our Solaire 251RBSS in August of last year. We haven't been out in it much but we love it. Only very minor problems with it so far (fingers crossed) and can hardly wait for the spring to take it back out again. I have been reading these forums and making a list of modifications to make once its out of storage - I can hardly wait. Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

We bought a Solaire 147x in July of last year. We went out several times and only had a few rough trips (leaking water through the AC unit and shoddy converter box... both fixed under warranty). I haven't seen many other Palomino models out and about either. And, we just went to the local RV show a week or so ago and the dealer we bought our Palomino last year isn't even carrying Palominos this year at all! Apparently there was some issue about coming up with an agreeable price? Of the other hybrid TTs we have seen, I am happy we bought ours when we did.
Furry protectors Snowball & Max

burntcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #11

Just bought a 2015 SolAire 220X. Waiting for spring. Live in Minnesota so weather can be bad. Any tips, suggestions from anyone? Also due to the snow and ice here, we want to get a cover for it. Asked at Palomino and didn't get any help on which one fits best. They gave me a website of a company they dealt with for 15 years. Said they will help. Right. All I got from them was a recommendation for one cover. They said it is a good one "If it will fit!" Hmmmm Don't care for "Ifs!" lol Any help will be appreciated! Thanks RM
RockyMisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:46 AM   #12

RockyMisti: I got an Elements cover from Camping World for my Solaire. It fits great. There are numerous straps that snug the cover on all sides. Be sure to put padding on any pointy or sharp edge. (tv antenna, rain gutter, etc) When I first put it on I forgot to pad the corner of the rain gutter over the slide. It caused a 2" tear as I was putting the cover on. I thought that would be the beginning of the end for the cover. I put a piece of Gorilla duct tape on both sides of the tear and the hole has not gotten any bigger. Based on my first winter of using this cover I highly recommend the Elements cover.

This forum is a great source of information, in general, about travel trailers even if there are rarely Palomino issues discussed.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 AM   #13

Thanks PSU Turf, I'll give them a try. And thanks for the advice on the padded edges. How about about the AC?
RockyMisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #14

The edges on my AC are smooth and rounded. The antenna was the only thing on the roof that I had to pad. I wrapped the the gutter extension at each upper corner of the trailer. I think there is also a door stopper for the entry door that stuck out. I used thick landscape fabric for padding.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMisti View Post
Thanks PSU Turf, I'll give them a try. And thanks for the advice on the padded edges. How about about the AC?
RockyMISTY, Not sure about yours, but our Solaire Eclipse 297 has the textured front cap and told it would tear up a cover. I decided I didn't want to do a $300 experiment! Figured it could wait 'till I do some more research. Does anyone have an answer?

Old 03-01-2016, 03:32 AM   #16

Our Solaire isn't the Eclipse package, but from reading and researching, you are correct re that bed liner-like material tearing up covers. Lots of reports of total destruction of very high quality covers in well under one season of use. Proceed with caution if you have the Eclipse package.
Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #17

We too bought a "starter" Puma and are having a blast with it. We can't wait to head out for a week after Easter and to Ft Wilderness in May, 6 days will be the longest the 4 of us +2 furry critters have stayed in the camper.

We have had few quality issues, mainly the drawer slides. I fix stuff myself so it only went to the dealer once for minor stuff and to have a ladder installed.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #18

We live In WV and bought our solaire 267bhsk in Princeton. I guess our biggest issue is that we love the outside kitchen. But when the 2015 came out the didn't put it one this one anymore and we didn't find this out till it was delivered to the dealership. It was about 8 weeks late. But that's about the only complaint we have. We had to get a new AC last summer. We have only seen 2 other solaire in about 2 years of camping. One at natural bridge VA. And one at pipestem State park last fall. WE LOVE OURS. We see a lot of heads turn when pull in any where.
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #19

We have an 2012 267 bhsk, only minor issues, the outside kitchen didn't have a stove and I hardly ever used it. I pulled the cabinet out and mounted my icemaker in there and the rest is storage
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #20

Puma 23FB

We just recently purchased a 2016 Puma 23FB. We love it. I thought that this unit was an upgrade compared to the many other units in the same size and weight. We looked and compared for over a year. I guess it would be considered a starter unit because we were not willing to go over $20K for a camper. Perhaps that limited us. We love what we got though. It is exactly what we wanted. Only complaint is the mattress. After only 6 nights, it has low spots where our bodies lay. That will be replaced quickly.
JudiL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino