Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 48
Where to install a 50 Amp surge protector

I've ordered and will have installed a 50 amp surge protector with a remote monitoring device in my 2013 Columbus 320RS. This is not the portable surge protector, so I'm trying to figure out where to permanantly put it. I also order the remote unit and would like to put it in the closet where the washer dryer is. Has anybody installed this device or can offer suggestions?
__________________

Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ret2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 364
On my Sabre 31 RETS I installed the Progressive 50A hard wired unit in the basement area behind a wall which was behind the converter and fuse panel. It is a very confined area but it needs to be close to the converter and where the electrical line comes in from the back of the trailer.
__________________

__________________
2014 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA-7
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
3 Happy Campers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
On my Sabre 31 RETS I installed the Progressive 50A hard wired unit in the basement area behind a wall which was behind the converter and fuse panel. It is a very confined area but it needs to be close to the converter and where the electrical line comes in from the back of the trailer.
Ditto on our Sierra 356RL.
You’ll need a pair of bolt cutters to cut the cable.
*** Make sure you have the shore power unplugged before you cut into the main cable!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Amp Surge Guard.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	26137  
__________________
Dave, Judy & Daisy May
Perkasie, PA
2010 Sierra 356RL
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.z View Post
I've ordered and will have installed a 50 amp surge protector with a remote monitoring device in my 2013 Columbus 320RS. This is not the portable surge protector, so I'm trying to figure out where to permanantly put it. I also order the remote unit and would like to put it in the closet where the washer dryer is. Has anybody installed this device or can offer suggestions?
We also have a 2013 320 RS. I installed the 50 amp monitor next to the battery cut off switch in the forward department just because I didn't think I needed tomonitor it inside the unit. The search protector is mounted behind the wall Where the monitor is in the forward pass through compartment. It's a very nice location and everything works well & it is out-of-the-way.
__________________
Mark/Jeannie & Chaps (Aussie)
2013 Columbus 320RS
2012 Ford F350 KR diesel. Hensley BD3 Air Suspension Hitch
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,101
Close to the inlet plug or the breaker box and you don't have to cut the wire. You get a short piece at the hardware store and that way can remove the surge protector if you trade up
__________________
2017 Fuse 23T
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
treaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
We also have a 2013 320 RS. I installed the 50 amp monitor next to the battery cut off switch in the forward department just because I didn't think I needed tomonitor it inside the unit. The search protector is mounted behind the wall Where the monitor is in the forward pass through compartment. It's a very nice location and everything works well & it is out-of-the-way.
Would you post a few pics?
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 30
Treaves-
Sorry I can't get you any pictures. Our RV is in storage quite a distance away from where we live and I won't be going there till next month. As I said in my post, the monitor is located close to the battery cut off switch. The surge protector is mounted Behind the wall where the monitor is located.
__________________

__________________
Mark/Jeannie & Chaps (Aussie)
2013 Columbus 320RS
2012 Ford F350 KR diesel. Hensley BD3 Air Suspension Hitch
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.


×