Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

Where to install a 50 Amp surge protector

I've ordered and will have installed a 50 amp surge protector with a remote monitoring device in my 2013 Columbus 320RS. This is not the portable surge protector, so I'm trying to figure out where to permanantly put it. I also order the remote unit and would like to put it in the closet where the washer dryer is. Has anybody installed this device or can offer suggestions?
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

On my Sabre 31 RETS I installed the Progressive 50A hard wired unit in the basement area behind a wall which was behind the converter and fuse panel. It is a very confined area but it needs to be close to the converter and where the electrical line comes in from the back of the trailer.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
On my Sabre 31 RETS I installed the Progressive 50A hard wired unit in the basement area behind a wall which was behind the converter and fuse panel. It is a very confined area but it needs to be close to the converter and where the electrical line comes in from the back of the trailer.
Ditto on our Sierra 356RL.
You’ll need a pair of bolt cutters to cut the cable.
*** Make sure you have the shore power unplugged before you cut into the main cable!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Amp Surge Guard.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	26137  
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.z View Post
I've ordered and will have installed a 50 amp surge protector with a remote monitoring device in my 2013 Columbus 320RS. This is not the portable surge protector, so I'm trying to figure out where to permanantly put it. I also order the remote unit and would like to put it in the closet where the washer dryer is. Has anybody installed this device or can offer suggestions?
We also have a 2013 320 RS. I installed the 50 amp monitor next to the battery cut off switch in the forward department just because I didn't think I needed tomonitor it inside the unit. The search protector is mounted behind the wall Where the monitor is in the forward pass through compartment. It's a very nice location and everything works well & it is out-of-the-way.
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Denver, CO

Close to the inlet plug or the breaker box and you don't have to cut the wire. You get a short piece at the hardware store and that way can remove the surge protector if you trade up
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
We also have a 2013 320 RS. I installed the 50 amp monitor next to the battery cut off switch in the forward department just because I didn't think I needed tomonitor it inside the unit. The search protector is mounted behind the wall Where the monitor is in the forward pass through compartment. It's a very nice location and everything works well & it is out-of-the-way.
Would you post a few pics?
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #7

Treaves-
Sorry I can't get you any pictures. Our RV is in storage quite a distance away from where we live and I won't be going there till next month. As I said in my post, the monitor is located close to the battery cut off switch. The surge protector is mounted Behind the wall where the monitor is located.
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote