Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think you would bang up the bed of the truck pretty bad with chains.

My biggest concern would be their length and them interfering with the emergency brakes breakaway cable and the power/umbilical cord. Would they get pulled unintentionally by this extra cable?
Shouldn't be any different than on a tongue trailer. Chains on a tongue trailer are crossed underneath the tongue to catch the tongue preventing it from hitting the pavement and giving it directional stability while still attached to the tow vehicle but having enough slack to activate the emergency brake.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shouldn't be any different than on a tongue trailer. Chains on a tongue trailer are crossed underneath the tongue to catch the tongue preventing it from hitting the pavement and giving it directional stability while still attached to the tow vehicle but having enough slack to activate the emergency brake.
True, but the OP is talking about hooking chains onto the U-bolts that are installed with his gooseneck hitch in the truck bed:

they're hard to see here, but there are 2 chain hooks on either side of the round hole/circle in the middle

With a bumper pull - the chains are dangling and aren't resting against anything.

With this setup - the chains would be laying in the truck bed and giving you more pinch points.

Or so I'm imagining. (about the pinch points - I'm absolutely sure about the B&W u-bolts)

Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Ha ha ha I had the same experience. I was doing a slow backing maneuver and the breakaway cable caught on a piece of firewood I had in the bed of the truck. Wow, the fifth wheel came to an instant stop and scared the heck out of me. It took me bit to figure out what happened too.
I had the same thing happen. Breakaway cable caught on fire wood turning a corner. I looked like a passenger jet leaving a con trail behind it !!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Looks like the chains would be behind the hitch. Shouldn't be a problem if he is just wanting to keep it hooked to the truck in case of a disconnect.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Looks like the chains are behind the hitch. Shouldn't be a problem if he is just wanting to keep it hooked to the truck in case of a disconnect.
Well, they're kind of down in it. Here's the Companion base:

The coupler goes over top of that:

BUT- you do make a good point. Depending on where he hooks his emergency breakaway cable to - they could be out of each other's way entirely. Mine goes back to a corner tie down point on the truck beside of the tailgate. Not sure if I'm normal or not, though...
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Don't have that problem with my Revolution, the break away is mounted on the side of the pin box that doesn't swivel and the connecting wires are attached just off center at the trailer pivot.

But, with a modified version of Butch's Catcher, I wouldn't use chains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00284.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	29908  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #17

Personally I think it would be more hazard to have "safety chains" than not having them........ just too much hitch "parts" to get hung up on when turning sharp or what ever. If you hook up too far toward the tailgate the legs of the trailer will be on the ground & could do some serious damage to those in the truck...... 15K+ can stop a 9K truck pretty fast........

There is a reason they are not required.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #18

I love the attitude of "I know better than engineers'! There is a reason 5th wheels do not have safety chains. If there were any advantage to them, they would have.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #19

Thank you everybody, all this info is why I asked here on the forum.

I have an additional plug on the drivers side inside the bed of my truck for the electrical plug to keep it out of the way when I tow my gooseneck.

After 20 years of towing a 26' utility dump trailer for work, safety is always a priorty.

I will make SURE my 5th wheel is properly hooked up before towing.

I will bag the thought of safety chains.

Thanks again everybody.

Jon

B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote