Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Here to Help

WIFI question for Owners by SabreSam

Dear Owners,
I would like to know how many of you utilize WIFI services avaliable at campgrounds? If you don't, why? Are signials weak? Do you utilize a Verizon (or other brands) wireless card? I'm assuming that most owners are traveling with some type of computer/Ipad/smart phone. Give me your comments and input. Thanks.
SabreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #2

Our kids took laptops to play on during our trip to our campground. When we got there, we noticed they were all sitting around the fire with laptops in their laps. One had found the wifi and was using it. At that point, their laptops were confiscated and not seen until the drive home. As an IT professional, I want to get away from technology when I'm camping. A cell phone is around in case of an emergency or if I need directions, but other than that, it is us and the outdoors.

I think the WiFi is handy if there is something you need, but I would/will not use it for causal internet surfing.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you have a us cellular android phone you do not need a "card"
you can pay 25.00 a month extra and make your phone a wifi hot spot.
my wife does this with great success since she has to have access to the world wide web 24/7 for work purposes. Cards are 65.00 a month and up.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
JAYCO Representative

Great question Sam! I'm very interested in the feedback here as well...
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

I use it wherever available .
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

We always use WiFi when available. At some campgrounds that only have a "hot spot" at the main office, I have a directional antenna I put on a mast (my flagpole) and aim at the hot spot.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Lottery Non-Winner

Verizon 4G hotspot.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #8

Herk - Did you make the yagi or buy it somewhere?
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #9

I use the CG, but find they are often limited and very slow. I will sometimes bring my work aircard (Verizon) and/or I can Tether my Blackberry (AT&T) to a laptop if needed. I pretty much stick to the Blackberry aps unless camping for the week and need to really get into something. Emails come to my smartphone, so most times we connect the laptop to do banking of search for a place to go check out.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Anacortesians

We've only been out twice this season. We tried to use wi-fi at a CG in Leavenworth, WA, but were too far away from their antenna. We walked down to the lower part of the CG and sat at a picnic table and were able to access.

We're not dependent on internet, as we tend to do short trips (less than a week), and can catch up once we get home again. Next season, we anticipate being away for longer periods so wi-fi may become more important.

We don't have a smart-phone. IMO, a phone is something you call people with. It's NOT a miniature computer!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #11

We use it whenever available. Sometimes it's been to look up local points of interest, or else it could be to come up with our next stop. We don't do much research before we leave - and that can be for two months at a time - and have found some good places off the internet.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #12

We use the camp ground wifi. Not all of them offer it, some have poor service, some have exceptional service. For those CG with poor service, we don't mind going for a walk in the evening, finding a picnic table closer to the wifi and a good signal, catch up on our email or whatever surfing we had in mind. It is all part of the camping experience. Did I just say checking email is a part of our camping experience?? I remember when a letter a month was excellent communication, and a tent that didn't leak was pure heaven! Boy, have I ever gotten spoilt!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #13

Most places I camp do not have internet wifi, many don't have cell phone signals. I do not a television in the trailer, no tv/video in my truck, all of this is by choice.

Depending on the nature of the trip, we will take a computer with us, but only to use for reference of finding places on our route. Sometimes it's to balance the budget for the trip and check on bank balances.

For the kids, they can take their portable playstation or nintendo, phone, and i-pods, but once we reach the mountains, they have to be turned off. Most places we are at the foot of the mountains within about an hour or less and drive 1 to 4 hours after that.

There is too much in nature that can be learned to be stuck in the techno world, when the kids complain, I remind them that I never had any of those when traveling, and for many years we didn't even have air conditioning. They usually stop complaining.

In the past couple of years, they have actually made comments that they are glad for the rule, because of the sites they have seen and the things they have learned without the toys.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #14

My husband and I don't use the Wi Fi at campgrounds, but my daughters do. They use it with their laptops and their Kindles. They have never complained that it was slow, and they will let you know.
2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
hoovercab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

We use the CG wifi, DW's new android phone can act as a hot spot if need be. Do not care about speed as the DWb just plays around on Facebook and I check email on one of my networks from work, have a work BBerry for the other network as I need to be available all the time to work regardless of vacation or anything else.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #16

I've only taken my laptop on camping trips a few times and only used the CG's wifi one of those times.
One of the reasons I go camping is to "get away from it all."
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We tend to use the Wi Fi a lot when we travel. With a family of four, including two teens, and sometimes my in laws, we utilize the campground Wi Fi a lot. Our travels tend to be different than most as we rarely use our rig for weekend camping, but opt more for long distant travel with the kids. This summer we found very spotty WiFi in the Maritime Provinces. Some campgrounds had no WiFi. I use the WiFi for work while I'm on the road and the kids use it for social contacts. When we were in Canada this summer we had to turn off our internet access on our cell phones due to the cost, so the campground WiFi became more important to us.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Site Team

I got this wi-fi booster/repeater after reading about in the forums. I have yet remembered to take it with me camping to see if it works good.......but it did help at the house

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #19

We use wi-fi when available at campgrounds. If no wi-fi is available, I'll use a Verizon wireless card on my laptop. I have also used my iPhone.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
Verizon 4G hotspot.
Great way to go and secure. Don't have to worry about someone getting my personal information. That is one thing wrong with a coffee shop or public hot spot, it can be compromised.
Verizon 4G hotspot is a very good and secure way to go. We use it on the road and at home.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote