Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

Question wireless back up camera

Does anyone know how power to the wireless backup camera on the Palomino Columbus 381FL is routed or switched, I do not seem to have power to the camera on a new 381 FL that we picked on June 4, 2015. Thanks for any help you can provide.
compuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

My 340 RK was wired to one of the lights on the upper part of the back. My DW thinks is the best investment. The dealer made the installation
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Dave on Burton

Running lights have to be on for it to work on my 340rk. Factory installed.
Dmitchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

wireless back up camera

On my 381fl the power comes off the center rear running light, my camera does not function. I checked the voltage at the camera and it is 10volts, not enough to power the camera. I suspect the wire is too small for the length of the run and powers too many lights. I am hoping it will be fixed under warranty.

Dennis
DenDus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick reply. The power to the camera does come from the center middle rear running light, however there does not appear to be any voltage to the camera. I will confirm that tomorrow. Have to return camper to dealer anyhow since the bottom door track for the shower is installed backwards ( drain holes out towards floor instead on inwards toward shower) ,keyless entry does not work and black tank sensors not working either. Very poor quality control!!!!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Wireless camera

My V-lite was wired from the factory to the tail lights. Head lights or parking lights have to be on for it to work.
masterglenn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

Yes I have same unit you run power wire to the middle running lite above the back window up high. Then you mount the camera right above the light so you can with 1 small hole run the wire's about 6 inch's for hook up. The system then will run so lone as you have headlight on while driving.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #8

Another way is to wire to the backup light circuit
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #9

If you wire to the back up light then it will only turn on when the back up light turn on. So you don't have access while driving.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
StlClay

Did you check to see if you have a proper ground ?

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #11

update on the wireless camera issue.

Camera is an Elite Entertainmant version. Once power was established camera worked intermittently. Bottom line is the wireless signal is too weak for reliable communication to the monitor in the truck. Tested as follows: Connected 7 pin cable from truck to camper to power camera, brought monitor inside camper and powered monitor, got very clear and stable image with strong wireless signal. This verifies camera and monitor actually works. However inside the truck wireless signal is weaker and wireless communication to monitor is lost. Seems to me a signal boost may be required for this combination to work in 40 ft. long campers.

Tags
back up camera