Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

Wish I thought about that

Hi folks,
Buying a new USED fifth wheel yesterday. Looking for ya’lls thoughts on things you wished you checked before pulling off the lot. Any advice is great.
JimTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTracy View Post
Hi folks,
Buying a new USED fifth wheel yesterday. Looking for ya’lls thoughts on things you wished you checked before pulling off the lot. Any advice is great.
I learned last week that buying an almost new 5th wheel from a family member saved me over $3300.00. Indiana sales tax is waived if buying from a family member in a private party sale. My sister bought new in March 2018. 2 trips, not for them, sold to me for a significant loss, then the bmv lady saves me the $3300 on top. I win.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
RV There Yet?

if buying from a dealer, do the PDI to YOUR satisfaction. then check your tire pressures. found one of mine was down to 25psi when i got home. shame on me.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Coach

You've got to check everything. Being used doesn't change the fact that it's a substantial purchase. One overlooked item on used rigs can be tires. Don't know how old a model you're looking at, but check the dates and condition of the tires. Five years is pretty much the end of a trailer tire's service life. Look for date stamps on batteries. Tires and batteries alone can easily run over $1,000 right out of the gate. Is there a warranty? What all does it cover?

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTracy View Post
Hi folks,
Make sure the slides work on just battery power, does all of the landing gear work, are all and any manual cranks available, Check to see if fridge works on electricity and on gas, it might take a couple of tries to get to light but it's a must, Is the hot water take gas and electric, does it work on both, does the furnace light because hearing the fan doesn't mean its working, does the stove and oven light, does the charger and converter work, charged batteries could have been done with an external charger, do the running lights and signal lights work. does the TV/TV's work, are the wheels properly torqued, is the emergency brake cable intact. do the electric brakes work, a simple tow and adjusting of your controller can tell you. if it pitches to one side when you apply the brakes one or both of the magnets that work the brakes could be dead. any damage to the roof , and water marks on the ceiling. Hope this is of help.
Columbus340RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
Site Team

As said above make sure that EVERYTHING works. Make them (Owner or dealer) operate everything, including heat and A/C, water pump, oven, stove, fridge, vent fan(s), slides, audio and video systems, landing gear, lights (including brake and running), awning, water heater, stabilizers (if they're electric), drain valves if it has a covered underbelly, and anything else that moves or lights up. Also take a multimeter and make sure the converter charges the battery(s) and all the receptacles work on shore power.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #7

Wow! Great information from all. My new camper is a 2018 palomino Columbus 383fb. I am buying from campers inn dealership. I will for now have a 3rd party move it since I stay for longer terms 6 plus months and is easier for me. I presently been doing full time in a cedar creek silverback and bought new and have had little issues. May go to pulling myself later on. Since I don’t move it is more important that I check to ensure everything is good before taking custody. Thank you all again. This is great information.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #8

Which Campers Inn? We didn't have a good experience with the one in Union, CT.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:18 AM   #9

Mrytle beach SC
Old 01-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

check the roof for tears/ damage points of leaking (and subsequent damage that may be hidden)

Also, your nose is your friend here regarding water damage. Every camper has its unique scent. But that does not include musty or mildew smells.

Check under the exterior edges and corners of the slides for soft spots in the floor.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

Be aware that many camper dealers are all smiles when you buy but they really believe that "Once you buy it, you own it," including any problems. Get their warranty info in writing. Before you buy is the time to ask THEM to clean up any carpet stains or fix any damage or repair any appliances that don't seem to work. Once you buy, it's yours, sometimes in spite of an alleged warranty.

Chances are that the dealer has gone over it and fixed at least the visible issues. But do run all the major mechanical systems (slides, appliances, stabilizers and other items like awnings, fans and TVs) as Bama Rambler suggests and spend some time going over the pre-delivery walk through so you know how everything works. Unfortunately many of us drive to pick up the RV to do our walk-through, when I know I could be more patient to do my walk-through before on a day before they deliver. When I go to pick up the RV, unfortunately that's when I an antsy to get back on the road home.

As indicated, check tire wear and dates (learn the sidewall info every tire has) and don't be shy about asking for new tires if the old ones are aging, worn. or at their limits for this trailer. Trailer manufacturers are famous for skimping on the load rating for new trailers. You have maximum leverage before you buy. Don't be in a hurry, as there's probably another RV out there just as nice for less money.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
if buying from a dealer, do the PDI to YOUR satisfaction. then check your tire pressures. found one of mine was down to 25psi when i got home. shame on me.

X2 on tire pressure. My new MH called for 80 rear and 75 front. I drove an hour to the house. Tires were 35#s all around.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #13
Site Team

Yes! Check fridge and water heater for lp operation. Check all appliances including a/c, furnace, stove, etc, water pump. Check 12 vt items and 110 vt items.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote