Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
One Happy Camper!

Wrong Door? Correct door no longer available?

Hi All,

I purchased a 2013 SolAire and took delivery March 2nd. During our PDI I pointed out some damage on the bathroom door. The Dealer said no problem and ordered me a new door from Palomino (FR). The Service Department called today and told me they recieved the new door, but it has a pattern on the door that the original did not. The dealer stated that they contacted FR and that they no longer manufacture the door, so the only replacement door available is the one that doesnt match the other doors in my camper. I asked the dealer to send me a photo of the door so I could decide if I would accept it or not. He sent me the photo and the door is similar color, but has a very large pattern that completely changes the look of the door.

I told the dealer I would call him in the morning to discuss this further, but I have a major issue with a brand new trailer that I have not camped in yet will have an odd door that doesnt match the other 3 interior doors. I plan to ask them to replace all the doors to match, or make one that matches the other 3 which is what I prefer since the pattern doesnt go with the rest of the decor.

Any advice on how to approach FR? My issue is not with the Dealer at all since they are pretty much in the middle and I have been completely satisfied so far.

Thanks,

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Camping Crazy

You should in no way have to accept a door that doesn't match the originals on a brand new unit. Try calling FR directly and see what answer you can get from them. Hard to believe that they have already discontinued a door that was on a 2013 unit. I will bet they can have a door made to match the original if indeed they don't currently have one.
2013 Columbus 325RL

columbusfan325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Be sure to send them a picture of the door you need. So they have no excuses
to get it right. If they can't do one door make them replace them all.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
Hi All,

I purchased a 2013 SolAire and took delivery March 2nd. During our PDI I pointed out some damage on the bathroom door. The Dealer said no problem and ordered me a new door from Palomino (FR). The Service Department called today and told me they recieved the new door, but it has a pattern on the door that the original did not. The dealer stated that they contacted FR and that they no longer manufacture the door, so the only replacement door available is the one that doesnt match the other doors in my camper. I asked the dealer to send me a photo of the door so I could decide if I would accept it or not. He sent me the photo and the door is similar color, but has a very large pattern that completely changes the look of the door.

I told the dealer I would call him in the morning to discuss this further, but I have a major issue with a brand new trailer that I have not camped in yet will have an odd door that doesnt match the other 3 interior doors. I plan to ask them to replace all the doors to match, or make one that matches the other 3 which is what I prefer since the pattern doesnt go with the rest of the decor.

Any advice on how to approach FR? My issue is not with the Dealer at all since they are pretty much in the middle and I have been completely satisfied so far.

Thanks,

SPPD
you have to wonder what Quality Control process FR has when reading things like this, especially on a new unit.

In addition, you have to wonder what some dealers are doing in letting this kind of stuff get past them.

Sad part is that you aren't the first to experience this and wouldn't be the last.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

There is no way I would take possesion of a unit that was not what I bought. The dealer needs to make it right if he wants to complete the sale. The dealer is working for you; for final sale. They should be hoofing it to get the correct door, or replace all doors (on your approval of style) to match or request a discount price to compensate the incorrect product or cancel the sale and wait for another one.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
One Happy Camper!

I am not blaming the Dealer one bit. This is 100% the manufacturer! The original door had a small section of the laminate in the corner peeling back. Most people would not have even noticed, but we were meticulous in our PDI. The dealer immediatly offered to replace the door. That is a great dealer! The issue is a manufacturer that claims a door is discontinued during the current model year. Uggh!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
One Happy Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
There is no way I would take possesion of a unit that was not what I bought. The dealer needs to make it right if he wants to complete the sale. The dealer is working for you; for final sale. They should be hoofing it to get the correct door, or replace all doors (on your approval of style) to match or request a discount price to compensate the incorrect product or cancel the sale and wait for another one.
The sale is complete. We pointed out what we wanted and got it in writing what had to be repaired. The dealer is not to blame in my opinion! The dealer threw in free storage until May as part of the sale, so they have been fixing our issues while it is stored there. The dealer is trying to make it right, but FR takes the blame on this one. I will update tomorrow when I speak with the dealer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130319_200220.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	25946

The replacement door

The original door was similar color, but just wood grain (no patter)

SPPD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130319_200408.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	25947  

Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
One Happy Camper!

Update:
I spoke with the service dept at my dealer today and let him know we would accept nothing other than an exact replacement door from FR. He agreed and is going to go back to FR to come up with a solution. Hopefully this gets resolved ASAP since April 12th ( our 1st scheduled trip) is right around the corner.

SPPD

Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #9

They probably switched to 2014 model year ....

Good luck with having this being resolved satisfactorily ! I hope they change all the doors and make you happy !
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #10

SPPD -Great to read the search for the door will continue! Crossing my fingers it comes in before your trip! Woo hoo!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just as a back up get a price from a local cabinet shop they should be able to match the door easily. The question then would be can they match the color ?
Some shops are excellent with matching colors.. If not the least the dealer or factory could do would be to supply a small amount of stain at no charge. The dealer could then reimburse you for the door and deduct the cost of the door from his next FR invoice. GO FOR IT.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
One Happy Camper!

Thanks Grayfox.
At this point I have faith in my dealer and FR figuring out a solution. If they don't figure something out soon I will suggest what you said.

SPPD

Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
One Happy Camper!

FINAL update!

We went to the dealer today to see the replacement door in person. It is actually a very nice door, as it is the door from the higher optioned Eclipse Package. We spoke with the sales guy and the dealership owner. Before we could even ask what they were going to do about the mismatched door, he offered to pay to replace all the doors with the same higher end door. He also assured us that it would be ready for our first camping trip in 3 weeks even if he had to take the doors off of another unit on the lot. We are extremely satisfied with this outcome. I will say it all turned out well and in our favor.

SPPD

Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
You can't lose--------

Go for it by all means, Upgrade the doors at the dealer's cost. I would!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
FINAL update!

We went to the dealer today to see the replacement door in person. It is actually a very nice door, as it is the door from the higher optioned Eclipse Package. We spoke with the sales guy and the dealership owner. Before we could even ask what they were going to do about the mismatched door, he offered to pay to replace all the doors with the same higher end door. He also assured us that it would be ready for our first camping trip in 3 weeks even if he had to take the doors off of another unit on the lot. We are extremely satisfied with this outcome. I will say it all turned out well and in our favor.

SPPD
Happy ending that's great. sounds like you have a dealer that would do whatever it takes.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
One Happy Camper!

I really cant say enough good things about my dealer. I gave them a positive review in that section of these forums. They have bent over backwards to make us happy (the way it should be) and I have heard similar comments from other customers of theirs.

SPPD