Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #1

Ant intrusion

What does everyone do to prevent ant and other such bugs from intruding? My hauler had been parked for 3 months in the back yard and I went to prep it for a weekend trip, and found those large bull ants and a mess of their larvae nesting in the fridge. The fridge was on by the way. Cleaned out the fridge and then pulled the outside cover and it was also crawling with them. They even had a bunch of insulation and paper shredded that I had to use the shop vac to get out.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:06 AM   #2

Here is a link to some ideas for you:

How to get rid of bull ants in your house - Pests & Diseases Forum - GardenWeb

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

I was reading an FAQ for an RV resort and they mentioned using talcum powder around tires and hookup hoses/cables to keep ants from traveling into your RV. Been using the Terro Liquid Bait Traps (any hardware store or Walmart has 'em) to kill the colonies that make their way into the house. They're basically a store-bought version of the DIY boric acid traps described above. Ants actually get WORSE for a day, typically, but then they all disappear.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #4

We were invaded in S Florida last Winter. Terro bait traps work. We have a cat so needed traps that could be put inside at entry points. Used 4 Terro traps and in 4 days all bye bye. They draw the ants, take it back to the queen and all die. Terro can also be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. Best quick acting ant killer on the market. Very ez to use and replace.
If I were an ant, I would be proud that Terro killed me!😩
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #5

If you got kids or pets and sugar ants- mix 50/50 confectioners sugar and baking soda. Baking soda kills them and the can't tell the difference between that and the sugar. Never had any other ant issues so not sure if it will work on yours.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #6

I sprinkle seven dust around tires, jacks, hoses, etc. Don,t have kids or pets so not a problem to use.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #7

Biggest avenue of infiltration for us always seemed t be the electrical cord. I always make sure and spray it , the tires and the jack down with ant spray a couple of times a year. When we get to the campground I always look over the spot and if I spot ants I sprinkle ant powder where the trailer is going to be.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Thanks y'all. I sprayed the outside compartment with the fridge compressor and killed a mess of ants. I then had my pest control spray the jacks and wheels. Good so far, but I think I'm gonna get the Terro Traps for the external compartments that allow access.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #9

What about ants and other crawllers that drop from trees? Anybody have that problem, and if so, do you treat the roof some how?

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote