Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,477
Allstays has some great apps. I use Allstays RV and Camp and Allstays Truck and Travel. $10 apps but very good...
__________________

__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2
__________________

__________________
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Walkertown, NC
Posts: 335
Just my personal opinion, but I suggest you invest in a good RV/Trucker GPS (Garmin or Rand McNally) that allows you to input your rigs length, width, height, weight, propane, your preference for toll roads, interstates, tunnels, dirt roads or u-turns. It will also give you quick POI for truck stops, rest stops, Walmart, shopping and many other options not readily available from an iphone app. Plus it has a 7" screen and sits on the dash, not in your hand where you may be distracted looking at it....
__________________
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 55
I just found trucker path pro on app store. That may work for you.
__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS
2007 Nissan Titan
IchLiebeBier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
X2, plus I just started using Basecamp so I'm thinking about buying the POI from Low Clearance POI - GPS Data so I can show low bridges on the planned route and then download to "Gabby"
Word of caution with the Low Clearance POI. It will load your 'Favorites' with all the bridges from 10' to 12'11". Well over 400 bridges will be scattered thru your 'Favorites'. I just deleted all of them from my Nuvi 2460 LMT and dezl 760 LMT. Only way to get rid of them is got to 'Favorites' select All and then deselect the ones you want to keep.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I suggest you invest in a good RV/Trucker GPS (Garmin or Rand McNally) that allows you to input your rigs length, width, height, weight, propane, your preference for toll roads, interstates, tunnels, dirt roads or u-turns. It will also give you quick POI for truck stops, rest stops, Walmart, shopping and many other options not readily available from an iphone app. Plus it has a 7" screen and sits on the dash, not in your hand where you may be distracted looking at it....
Allstays Camp and RV will give you Walmarts, rest stops, truck stops, low clearances state parks, county parks, national parks, moose campgrounds and more, all the things a Rand McNally GPS will give you. If you have a tablet this app is great. If you know where your going you can explore all the campgrounds and POI along your route. Once you find a POI of interest you can drill down to info or go right to the website.

You can also go to satellite view and look at the POI. How easy to get in. Is there shade, is there a runway close or train track.

I'm right now planning a trip from Florida to Kentucky to do the Bourbon Trail. I know the roads I will use to get there and I can see all the campgrounds along the way and the campgrounds in the Boubon Trail area just at a glance. Can't do that with a $300+ GPS very easily.

GPS cost $$$$$, Allstays $9.99 period, plus you can use it anytime you have your tablet. How often do you carry your GPS around with you.

I know, different strokes for different folks, but Allstays is has very good apps that are easy to use. Check it out before you buy the GPS
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:40 AM   #17
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I suggest you invest in a good RV/Trucker GPS (Garmin or Rand McNally) that allows you to input your rigs length, width, height, weight, propane, your preference for toll roads, interstates, tunnels, dirt roads or u-turns. It will also give you quick POI for truck stops, rest stops, Walmart, shopping and many other options not readily available from an iphone app. Plus it has a 7" screen and sits on the dash, not in your hand where you may be distracted looking at it....
That would be a Garmin dezl760LMT which allows you Semi, Straight Truck or Auto. The Straight Truck allows you "Compressed Gases" which avoids tunnels with restrictions.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Word of caution with the Low Clearance POI. It will load your 'Favorites' with all the bridges from 10' to 12'11". Well over 400 bridges will be scattered thru your 'Favorites'. I just deleted all of them from my Nuvi 2460 LMT and dezl 760 LMT. Only way to get rid of them is got to 'Favorites' select All and then deselect the ones you want to keep.
Coot, don't download the POIs to the unit with BaseCamp or MapSource for this. Use POI Loader to create a gpi file and you can set speed or distance alerts for the POIs. Then manually drop the gpi file into the correct folder on the unit (I can't remember the folder name). This will store them in the custom poi, or extras area, whichever, for your unit (to see them, you'd hit "go to > custom poi > Low Clearance", etc, or something like that). You won't have to see them in your favorites.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={16d895d0-2fe6-11de-76c5-000000000000}
__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS
2007 Nissan Titan
IchLiebeBier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #19
CCRVOC
 
Ramblin Recks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Where ever we are parked
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Word of caution with the Low Clearance POI. It will load your 'Favorites' with all the bridges from 10' to 12'11". Well over 400 bridges will be scattered thru your 'Favorites'. I just deleted all of them from my Nuvi 2460 LMT and dezl 760 LMT. Only way to get rid of them is got to 'Favorites' select All and then deselect the ones you want to keep.
Good to note. I wish Basecamp displayed only the pois on on your route (Like GS trip planner). It is aggravating to have to delete the clutter. I'm creating a POI for only Thousand Trails to help with my route planning.
__________________
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #20
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
Coot, don't download the POIs to the unit with BaseCamp or MapSource for this. Use POI Loader to create a gpi file and you can set speed or distance alerts for the POIs. Then manually drop the gpi file into the correct folder on the unit (I can't remember the folder name). This will store them in the custom poi, or extras area, whichever, for your unit (to see them, you'd hit "go to > custom poi > Low Clearance", etc, or something like that). You won't have to see them in your favorites.
I deleted the entire mess from both. The nuvi 2460LMT is for TOWTA's old junker and the dezl 760LMT doesn't need it.

BTW, don't like BaseCamp or MapSource. I always download using Garmin's POI Loader, etc.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.