Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Compact Printer

We're real close to going full time and need an inexpensive, extremely compact, and reliable printer. I won't need it much but need one that I can easily tuck away when not needed. Black and white is fine but would like one that could copy and scan. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Always Learning

Compact Printer

For fulltiming, I bought this Brother printer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the smallest printer that scanned & copied and had an automatic document feeder on top.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

I just go find the cheapest one I can find, usually under $50. When it runs out of ink
donate it and buy a new one. Ink cartridges can cost as much or more than a new
printer and may not be available when you need it. I currently have a Canon MG 2420.
It's color, scans and prints.
SOLD '05 NuWa HHII 32.5 UKTG
05 Ford F-250 Supercab 6.0L SRW
nwtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

I haven't seen anything more compact than the HP Officejet 150 Printer/Scanner. It is expensive, but much smaller than most other units for what it offers.

HP Officejet 150 Mobile All-in-One Printer - L511a | HP® Official Store
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

We have had about 15 various printers over the last 8 years for our home business. I typically only buy them when they are clearing-out a model year & have well-established 3rd party ink sources. I never buy a printer unless I can get 3rd party ink for < $5 per cartridge...

We have had great luck with my wife's 6 year-old Brother MFC that uses LC-51 ink. A complete set of (4) generic LC-51 cartridges cost about $10 & last a long time, because the Brother cartridges are bigger than any other inkjet we own. They make different models but ours has a document feeder, flatbed scanner, faxes, and is wireless. It does not print on both sides automatically, but they make some that do. The color is OK for brochures but we don't hang pictures printed from it...

My Epson Artisan 700 & 800 series produce the best photo-quality. They have document feeders, flatbed scanners, automatically print to both sides & print labels on DVDs. I get them on Epson's clearance site for $85-$135. I can find 3rd party ink for around $25 per set of (6) but the ink fades faster than genuine Epson ($75+). Therefore, when I buy a set of 2 new printers, I save the genuine cartridges for family pictures on one while the other uses generics to print glossy business brochures...

For camping I use a $50 AR Epson XP-600 that does not have a document feeder, but does have the flatbed scanner, dual sided printing, and wireless capability. It's smaller than the others & comes with smaller cartridges that do not last as long. Therefore it is important to buy a couple sets of generic inks at the same time as the printer...

We also have B&W and color laser printers but IMO they draw too much power for RV use... I modified the Samsung CLP-315 color laser so that I can refill the original toner cartridges for $30/set so right now its my cheapest method for printing color...

Edit: IMO the HP Officejet 150 Printer/Scanner is too expensive! I only paid $150 for my color laser! HP's consumer models require that you replace the print-head every time you buy ink so even generics are more expensive than other brands... (Generics are someone else's discarded print head with replenished ink...) However, I do love our HP poster printer because the pro models include replaceable tanks AND each color's print head can be replaced separately.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #6

My wife bought an HP 1512 printer for the home and the MH. It scans, copies, and prints color for less than $50 at Amazon. It is 22x17x10, but I think that is the box. It easily fits in one of our overhead bins, which is where it is right now.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into all of them before making a decision.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote