Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #21

FWIW...

I prefer to use marine-grade connectors for the terminal connections (and the occasional butt-splice...).

The problem with the terminals pictured (in addition to the rust/corrosion) is that the wires are mechanically secured by the electrical connection. The road vibration over time will cause these crimps to fail.

The marine connectors are covered with heat shrink tubing. Once they are crimped on the wire, you use a heat gun to shrink them to secure the wire. The heatshrink holds the wire solid, and allows the electrical connection to be undisturbed.

They're not cheap, but you can find them in most any auto parts store. Dorman Terminal weatherproof ring connector 85218 - Read Reviews on Dorman #85218 They should also be more corrosion-resistant.

Carl
Old 07-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Something like this improves the connection, while also protecting it from corrosion and moisture https://smile.amazon.com/MG-Chemical...9431270&sr=8-9

Clean up the connection, then use this on each one. Check it periodically and reapply, if needed.
Often topic. Ben31-I see you posted a link using "Smile.amazon" I just recently found that and have been recommending they use that link when ordering through Amazon. Doing so allows a donation to ones favorite charity with no cost to the purchaser. I donate mine to the USO.

Op-didn't mean to high jack your thread but I thought it might be hepful to others.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckabrahamson View Post
FWIW...

I prefer to use marine-grade connectors for the terminal connections (and the occasional butt-splice...).

The problem with the terminals pictured (in addition to the rust/corrosion) is that the wires are mechanically secured by the electrical connection. The road vibration over time will cause these crimps to fail.

The marine connectors are covered with heat shrink tubing. Once they are crimped on the wire, you use a heat gun to shrink them to secure the wire. The heatshrink holds the wire solid, and allows the electrical connection to be undisturbed.

They're not cheap, but you can find them in most any auto parts store. Dorman Terminal weatherproof ring connector 85218 - Read Reviews on Dorman #85218 They should also be more corrosion-resistant.

Carl
Or alternatively you can just buy heat shrink tubing and use it everywhere.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hamingo-540...bing+kit&psc=1

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
Or alternatively you can just buy heat shrink tubing and use it everywhere.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hamingo-540...bing+kit&psc=1

Heat shrink is great, but if it's exterior it's still best to use marine heat shrink. It has a watertight adhesive on the inside. I've seen numerous connections corroded under regular heat shrink tubing. It takes a while, but water does seep into the plain stuff eventually.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 07-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Was I the only one who saw the frame corrosion?

This trailer looks to be exposed to salt water at least once to have that much frame corrosion in 3 years. I suppose exposure to heavy road salt slush without an immediate fresh water wash could do it, too.

Not much is going to protect your electrical system (or frame) when exposed to harsh environments.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

This trailer looks to be exposed to salt water at least once to have that much frame corrosion in 3 years. I suppose exposure to heavy road salt slush without an immediate fresh water wash could do it, too.

Not much is going to protect your electrical system (or frame) when exposed to harsh environments.

What an exercise in idiocy.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
Heat shrink is great, but if it's exterior it's still best to use marine heat shrink. It has a watertight adhesive on the inside. I've seen numerous connections corroded under regular heat shrink tubing. It takes a while, but water does seep into the plain stuff eventually.

Ray
Thanks for the good info, I use heat shrink all the time at work but that is always on equipment that sits in air conditioned rooms. Didn't know this existed. I will have to get some.

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #28

Quote:

Just leaving a camper near the beach for 3 years will leave its share of corrosion as well. The salt air is tough.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
What an exercise in idiocy.
Just saying there is normally more to the story than presented in the average rant.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Just saying there is normally more to the story than presented in the average rant.
I was referring to the video of people trashing their vehicles...
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
I was referring to the video of people trashing their vehicles...
Exactly ...
Old 07-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #32

Ok, so mount them in a dry location.... Duh!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #33

Forest River quality or lack thereof

We own a 2014 FR Rockwood A194HW (A-Frame). While the A-Frame concept is awesome, I'm very disappointed with the lack of quality with respect to materials, engineering/design and workmanship on this Forest River unit. In all fairness, I don't know anything about other models/brands. Does anyone have any experience with a-frames from other manufacturers? Comments would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #34

All the suggestions are helpful, except the first 2. As usual, the FR "old timers" knee jerk defenders defend the company, and ridicule the customer with a problem, as if there is no problem with FR quality control.
Come on, people. Everyone with a brain knows that that most RV's are built poorly, not just FR. Dissing the poster doesn't help.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #35

Looks like what driving on your typically salted northern winter highways would do.. or in the ocean (that was funny by the way). I would want to inspect the entire trailer for corrosion / rust else where. I did apply an anti-corrosion to the connections, which I checked out less than a month after getting the 29HFS and thought what a crappy place to put these breakers and connections. If he was able to get this to the right FR person, he / she would do nothing about it. They wouldn't fix it, or change the way its done. As bad as this looks, it wouldn't be that hard to clean it all up. I'd help the person out if he lived close by.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucicciu View Post
We own a 2014 FR Rockwood A194HW (A-Frame). While the A-Frame concept is awesome, I'm very disappointed with the lack of quality with respect to materials, engineering/design and workmanship on this Forest River unit. In all fairness, I don't know anything about other models/brands. Does anyone have any experience with a-frames from other manufacturers? Comments would be appreciated.
FR doesn't make the frames or paint them.
Most come from Lippert who makes them for most RV manufacturers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #37

I used to try to make boat trailer lights water proof. That cannot be done. Sealing up the enclosure only ensures that water or moisture that does get in will stay in for a long, long time.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
So.......you just now looked at it first time in 3 years??
I have had my camper a year. Should I run out and investigate my properly operating electrical system?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Your comments quoted above imply that you believe "the folks at Forest River" read this forum. A small number of them may but as it states at the bottom of each full site page, "DISCLAIMER- ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions."

I suggest you send this pic to the specific manufacturing line of Forest River who built your unit. Since you have no signature information and no profile information and since your avatar is too small for my old eyes to see on my phone, I can't determine which line that is. Someone here can give you contact information for your manufacturing line.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs that Forest River could have access to a whole wealth of information that these forums contain and they don't utilise it for the manufacture, customer service relations or just great feedback about there own products to improve quality. If Forest River got involved in these discussions it would appear to be proactive and would provide great Customer Service. Perhaps someone should drop them some links to the various pages and ask why aren't they getting involved?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #40

FWIW, I have asked management at one FR division why they don't monitor this or other type sites.

The answer.........and if you want to argue with it, argue with them, not me......was that in the first place they simply don't have time......they are swamped with responding to requests, emails, calls, not to mention dealing with their own employees and processes, and adding this would be impossible. The second thing was that they perceive these types of discussions to be negative towards them in an overwhelmingly majority, and so they feel they'd forever be trying to tactfully respond to body slams and complaints here to the detriment of those who went through the proper channels. And they are pretty sure that'd be a lose-lose proposition.

If I were them (Since you asked, lol), I'd not bother with this. I come here for about 3 reasons. First is to learn how to camp better. This place has done that quite well. Second is to try and help others, though I probably am not very good at that. Third is comic relief. And I doubt that FR Management would come here for any of those 3 reasons except #2, and that's answered above.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Closed Thread

Tags
forest river