Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

Fresh water odor

When we first turn on our water in camp it smells like rotten eggs. We’ve eliminated all sources of the problem except the internal water line. We last cleared the odor by running enough water from our fresh tank. After sitting idle for 10 days the odor has returned.

Any thoughts on cause and solutions?

Rockwood minilite 2017 2503S

Thanks

Pat Moss
plmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #2

Have you tried sanitizing your fresh water system?
cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

Here is my first thought. The water smell is from the water heater. Here is a link to clean.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/cleaning-...-tank-vinegar/

I would use the winterizing hose or pump the vinegar in with this and the water with a hose or the RV water supply.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	205970

Or this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	205971
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmoss View Post
When we first turn on our water in camp it smells like rotten eggs. We’ve eliminated all sources of the problem except the internal water line. We last cleared the odor by running enough water from our fresh tank. After sitting idle for 10 days the odor has returned.

Any thoughts on cause and solutions?

Rockwood minilite 2017 2503S
The smell is from dissolved sulfur in the water combining with dissolved oxygen to form sulfur dioxide (swamp gas). Hot water accelerates the chemical reaction. Well water is particularly susceptible; city water is treated to prevent/retard the reaction. Takes a few weeks of the water sitting in the tanks for the reaction to take place (in most cases).

When we were on well water, I found I had to drain the water after each camping trip to prevent the smell (usually camping once a month). Refill the tank and hot water heater when we were getting ready to leave. I started opening the tank drain (and cracked the hot water sink faucet) when we hooked up to leave the campsite.

One time, I forgot to turn off the water pump when I opened the drain as we departed. Burned up the pump.

Not an issue now that we are on city water - I never empty the tanks except for the winter.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water